IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Yeah thinning the paints makes a big difference.

I'd also recommend watching some painting tutorials on youtube as it helps a lot to watch how other people paint.

AGProductionInc and Beastsofwar are good for beginners whilst GirlPainting awesomepaintjob cover more advanced techniques.

I've been painting some space marines myself this week. I wanted to try something different and found the space wolves battleforce relatively cheap online. This is my test miniature which is a little rough around the edges as I was more concerned with figuring a colour scheme that used bright colours without being too cartoonish looking, than being too smooth with the transitions.

post-1047-019375800 1296941355_thumb.jpg

I've spent a few hours working on a marine this afternoon and I'd like to say a big thanks to both of you who recommended thinning the paints - I'll get some photos later, but the effect on the shoulder pads has been amazing, they now appear a flat white colour, rather than a mess!

I demand you talented bastards get me some Macro shots of your figures. Crack on.

My mum wants her camera back so this will have to do for now. The cast was really poor as can been seen with the mangled wrist of the middle figure. The bald guy had a horrible mould line down his face and rather than risk filing his nose off I turned it into a scar.

post-1047-050697600 1297119673_thumb.jpg

Have I mentioned that I hate you? ;)

The shading - on hair, and the tartan - is just obscene. Especially considering the scale. The only thing I'm not sure about is the metal armour - just the fact that it, well, seems a bit at odds with the rest of their clothes. I wonder if they might've worked better if it was painted to be leather armour? (Not being familiar enough with the sculpts, I'm not sure if their design would support that)

It's a valid point and the issue of kilts and plate armour was raised when the figures were released. I like them despite this but I hadn't thought of painting it as leather which is a good idea. It's something I have done before with my rohan figures.

I'll try it out with one of them and see how it looks.

Edit: I don't think it will work. The tree of Gondor motifs are way too prominent and would look ridiculous if the armour was made to look like leather. So I'll leave them as is.

A shame :(

You could always have try to file the detail off the vambraces, and have them wearing a metal breastplate with leather vambraces and greaves. Because we all know how fun filing pewter is...

Whatever the case, the rest of them looks great, and it's hardly your fault that the sculptors went for an odd design. And, hell, I imagine there are many people who like that look anyway :D

In other news: yesterday I received my Tamiya Handy Drill. It's an AA-powered, very low torque drill designed for drilling plastic and wood (but happily drills through pewter, too). Accepts standard dremel collets and bits, apparently, though I've not tried that out, as, er, I don't own any. Anyway, it's a lovely little bit of kit, slow enough to drill with accuracy and without melting plastic, and cheaper than any alternatives, even after the cost of importing it. It comes with two collets, one for bits between 1mm and 2mm, and one for larger bits. It only has a 2mm bit with it, but I stuck in one of my 1mm bits from my pin vice and it runs it perfectly, meaning I finally got around to pinning my brother's Chaos Bloodthirster - what would have taken me an hour+ by hand (I'm a spectacularly useless hand-driller) took me 3 minutes with the electric drill. But, best of all, I didn't use the word 'kit' lightly: it actually comes in kit form: you have to clip away its components from sprues and put it together yourself. A model kit of a drill for drilling model kits! It's also adorably child's-toy-like in design.

An update of this week's painting.

I finished my clansmen:

5428739055_8a637dbb64_z.jpg

For each unit type I want to try something new or different (to hell with army coherency).

My warriors of Gondor are to be given weathered armour to reflect their long history of war against Mordor and make them more interesting to paint.

5437389578_cc5aa33beb_z.jpg

I used slightly desaturated colours on my Dunedain to prevent the greens and browns looking too bright.

5440736623_b4b7dbce01.jpg

The warmachine thread reminded me that I had some khador stuff to paint which I'll post here to keep everything together. I've gone for a flat, cartoony finish.

5436779133_2743a4e1de.jpg

Edit I reworked my Beregond model this morning. It was originally painted in the standard Minis Tirith scheme.

5441674108_23e5b36815.jpg

I'm after a bit of advice. I haven't got the steadiest of hands, but that hasn't been too much of a problem so far. I've been mostly been working on Deathwing Terminators, and as the model is so large I don't have to do so much fine detail. It also means I haven't had to paint any faces, a particular nightmare of mine.

I have now got into Malifaux, and bought the Ortegas box set. I'm excited to be painting something different for a change, but also slightly scared to be painting flesh, faces and eyes. Anyone have any tips ?

Current plan (using GW paints) is Dwarf Flesh->Devlan Mud wash->Flesh Wash->Dwarf Flesh highlight/drybrush-> 50/50 Dwarf/Elf Flesh light drybrush/highlight

GW have got the pre-orders up for the new Orcs and Goblins. Really like the look of the new Arachnarok:

m1640833a99120209023445.jpg

Full colour hardback army book too.

Orcs and Goblins advance order

I've had a look through the book and the Arachnarok at the local indie. The big spider is an amazing model in the flesh, but it's oh-so-fragile; the largest plastic monster ever stuck to it's base on needle points, which only barely fit on due to the beast's size. The rigging the goblins are one is also lightweight and flimsy - I know plastic glue can take up a lot of slack, but it's not great. Beautiful model, but transporting it is going to be a pain in the fucking arse.

The book is good, but it only has about 7 magic items in it - perhaps we're moving away from a million billion options in each book.

Aye, there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the removal of most of the orc and goblins' most useful items (amulet of protectiness, martog's best basha, the various sneaky goblin weapons). They really are moving the O&G forces as far away from being hero-dominated as possible. Which is kind've a shame, as the new ruleset briefly heralded the joy of goblin units with their front-ranks made up entirely of magic-equipped goblin bosses.

I'm after a bit of advice. I haven't got the steadiest of hands, but that hasn't been too much of a problem so far. I've been mostly been working on Deathwing Terminators, and as the model is so large I don't have to do so much fine detail. It also means I haven't had to paint any faces, a particular nightmare of mine.

I have now got into Malifaux, and bought the Ortegas box set. I'm excited to be painting something different for a change, but also slightly scared to be painting flesh, faces and eyes. Anyone have any tips ?

Current plan (using GW paints) is Dwarf Flesh->Devlan Mud wash->Flesh Wash->Dwarf Flesh highlight/drybrush-> 50/50 Dwarf/Elf Flesh light drybrush/highlight

The two main recipes I use for skin tones are:

Scorched brown=>tallarn flesh=>devlan mud=>tallarn flesh=>tallarn flesh+elf flesh mix

Dark flesh=>tallarn flesh=>elf flesh (good for pale skin)

Use thin paints (both tallarn and elf flesh give excellent coverage), a brush with a pointy tip and several intermediate colours; a face is a small area so each layer will dry very quickly. And when using thin paints on small details make sure to wipe off the excess from the brush to prevent any paint from running into depressions.

I try to overcome my shaky hands by fixing the model to the top of an old paint pot with blutac and resting the little finger of my brush hand against it when painting.

Thanks Cocky, I'll give that a try. I guess it's going to be a case of practice, practice, practice and accept my first few ones are going to look poor.

I've just started building some of the Ortegas, and they're proper fiddly to put together. As nice as Wyrd Minis are, GW really are the leader when it comes to ease of assembly and finish

Thanks Cocky, I'll give that a try. I guess it's going to be a case of practice, practice, practice and accept my first few ones are going to look poor.

I've just started building some of the Ortegas, and they're proper fiddly to put together. As nice as Wyrd Minis are, GW really are the leader when it comes to ease of assembly and finish

Recently whenever I try something new I have some dettol handy. I use an old brush to apply it neat over any area I want to strip and then rinse it thoroughly with cold water. It will usually take off most of the paint and any little bits can be removed with blutac or a model knife.

I'd like to hear how you get on with the malifaux figures as I have been considering buying some myself. But there are so many different ranges out at the moment to choose from.

Yup, practice is pretty much par for the course - definitely a bugger!

However, the best things thing I'd say is to take a 'less is more' approach to the painting. Take that flesh recipe you were thinking of:

Dwarf Flesh->Devlan Mud wash->Flesh Wash->Dwarf Flesh highlight/drybrush-> 50/50 Dwarf/Elf Flesh light drybrush/highligh

Dwarf flesh good, as is the Devlan mud. But the flesh wash? You don't need it. It's not going to make much of a difference if you've got the devlan mud on there. Good choice on the drybrushing though. You still get an awful lot of painters who hate doing it, but it is absolutely the best way to learn how to highlight a figure correctly. It's also one of the best things to do to actually see improvements in your painting in a very short space of time!

Or...to put it another way, this pic was painted by my mate:

living_saint_iiii____by_djartistknight-d2zuiw7.jpg

Bar a few bits and bobs, it's all drybrushed. He won a bronze demon using the same techniques. Now, he knows how to blend as well as anyone else, but he's happiest with his way of doing things.

Anyhoo, just keep on doing it and seeing where it ends up. You'll be very surprised at how quickly you'll see yourself getting better!

For shakey hands try leaning one wrist on the other while you paint. The best way I can think of to describe it would be if you were sat at a desk with you elbows on it and you were praying, move your hands apart at the fingers and hold the model in one hand and the brush in the other while keeping your wrists together. Should be a bit more stable for painting details.

And as I feel I should post pics in here if I reply... It's an axe!!!

5436740161_dd241ea94d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm gonna put this piece up here, even though it's not GW. But there we go!

Great fun to paint this figure from Statuesque! It's a simple-looking sculpt, but there's wonderful detail on her. I was never quite clear on exactly who she was. The sculpt suggested an agent/spy, but then you have the submachine gun and the exploded robot on the floor.

Obviously, orange and purple were the clear colours of choice :P .

Only thing I added to the thing, was a 'terminator'-esque skul on the ground. It doesn't show in my naff photos very well, but there's a little red eye in there...dying :( .

Right then, enough waffle - here you go:

mei-linmontcomp.jpg

I suspect the model is based on Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell and you are spot on with the purple hair :)

On the subject of where to post things do you think a specific thread for miniature painting is required or would that be splitting the discussion between too many threads?

Edit: I tried out drybrushing as a general technique over the weekend on some imperial guard infantry. I have never used it before other than for things like hair or chainmail and even then very sparingly. But you are correct in saying that a only a little practice is required to get good results. And I was able to paint a squad of 10 to a decent tabletop quality within a few hours.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Ghost in the Shell! Honestly have to say it must have seeped into my mind subconsciously, as I've never seen the thing!

As for a separate place for painting? Not sure...in an ideal world yes, but quite honestly I don't think enough of us paint (or at least show us!) to really make it worthwhile. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

The blending is looking superb. ^_^

Grey Knights are now on preorder btw if anyone cares. As impressive as gw's multi part plastic kits are these days, I'm underwhelmed by this release. The power armoured figures look oddly proportioned and the dreadknight is utterly bizarre (and should probably have a picture of xhibit on the box). And still no news of new lotr stuff :(

If anything, the old ones were oddly-proportioned. The plastics are proportioned exactly like any other plastic Space Marine kit.

I think the design of the helmets makes them look much larger in comparison.

As for LotR stuff, I imagine they are gearing up for whatever they do with the Hobbit license.

I don't doubt that at all. It would be nice though to have something in the interim to keep interest in the games. As it is I'll stick to filling out my collection with cheap ebay purchases.