IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

God, I hate doing eyes. Four attempts later and I think I'm happy enough with 'em. My tip? Swear a lot.

That and ignore the logical conclusion that a really small brush will do the job. It just doesn't - as long as your usual brush (and I usually use a 1) can go to a nice tip, you can get infinitely more control over it than you can with a smaller one - terrible times using my 10x0 one. Bloody useless pieces of hair that one.

Anyway, here's where it stands at the mo'...

DSC03085.jpg

I finished Theoden. Not to my best standard due to other commitments but I'm happy with how the metal turned out.

5536108650_73cf849495_z.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I collected my bgime collection from my parents' house and have been using the excellent paining guides; having the colour recipes speeds the process a lot which is useful when I've almost stripped my entire metal collection.

Orc shaman

Legolas

Balin

Sharkey

Ooh, those are nice. I particularly like the shaman and Legolas - more vivid colour schemes often come out looking garish and 'orrible, but Legolas manages to stand out and look, well, 'real' - very nice indeed. And the little details on the shaman are very nice indeed.

It's expanding, but little painting has been done in the past three weeks due to faffing around with fixing up my PC. I had to chuck a few models into the army as the local store is starting a 750-point WOTR game, so large portions are still unpainted. But I now have:

Faramir (basecoated), and still without an arm, as the various stores I've ordered pin vices with 0.5mm chucks from have all ummed and ahhed for a month and then cancelled the orders.

Damrod (basecoated)

Madril (well, he should be waiting in store for me to pick up, along with Cirion - unpainted, of course)

6 unpainted Knights of Dol Amroth

48 Warriors of Minas Tirith: 16 fully painted, 16 painted to table standard, 16 basecoated with flesh

24 Archers of Minas Tirith: 8 fully painted, 8 painted to table standard, 8 basecoated

24 Rangers of Gondor: 8 fully painted, 16 basecoated

I plan to go into town and do some work today, though as the store just moved there are some things it lacks (notably pallettes), which means no mixed colours and none of my older, slightly hardened paints are usable. Still, means I can add flesh to the archers and rangers, and at least manage the basic browns on the basecoated characters' bows and spears, and on the rangers' outfits.

That's a nicely themed army. I wouldn't fancy painting that many figures though!

Any non-porous surface can be used as a palette such as a wax-coated paper plate or my preference a bathroom tile. For batch painting a wet palette might be preferable. You can make one using the plastic tray gw box sets come with, some kitchen towel and greaseproof paper.

Aye, I personally use a china plate as my pallette at home - I meant that the ones they have for use in-store were not available, and I don't feel comfortable taking my plate to GW for fear of it breaking! Fortunately, they did have the little plastic pallettes in at last, so I was able to thin my paints (didn't have time to need anything more than that as it happened - after painting the leather and cloaks of seven rangers I was called to battle, as mentioned in the 'What Are You Playing?' thread). Turns out that they're pretty effective as a fighting force, as well as fitting my theme - no real bulldozers in the army (a complete lack of fancy heroes), but it's a fairly versatile and robust force. Or at least it seemed so, when fighting an army less than a third of its size ;)

I didn't realise you were talking about painting in the shop. Well, make sure to post photos of the finished army.

Edit: hobby update - I finally started on my blood bowl teams which have been residing in a shoe box for almost 20 years. Hopefully I can at least complete the elves before I move onto something else.

post-1047-098086400 1300654260_thumb.jpg

In news that is exciting to precisely no one but me, I finally got my hands on a collet that can hold 0.5mm drill bits, stuck it in my Tamiya Handy Drill (honestly, it's well worth the £15-£25 you'll need to spend to get one) and bam! I've finally managed to pin Faramir's arm to his body. My army is whole! (having also re-affixed the spear to one of my knights of Dol Amroth. I can see this being a regular problem... if I trusted my hand to be steady enough, and my sight to be good enough, I'd pin their spears in place too). Just need to do some painting tomorrow - at least prime my knights!

Looking nice man, I'd post some pictures of my lizardmen bloodbowl team, but they've taken a beating in the first half of their first season and not looking too sharp. Need to be touched up and given a spray of hard coat.

Lucky you! I don't get to play :( (which doesn't stop me from wishing for a space hulk style limited edition release)

Lucky you! I don't get to play :( (which doesn't stop me from wishing for a space hulk style limited edition release)

Your best bet is to do a google search for bloodbowl leagues there's bound to be one near by that you can join. Failing that, talk to some of the regulars at your local GW or GCN if you can find it, there'll be someone who knows of a league nearby.

I got involved with mine via a roleplay group, ironically enough it involves the whole roleplay group as well!

I kinda like the look of it but don't have the time or money at the moment to play more than one game. Plus i'm trying to be a bit more disciplined these days and actually paint up what I have. Due to this my Dark Eldar army is still only one character, one squad and one vehicle.

I am hoping to get back into fantasy tournaments a bit later this year though. I was thinking of swapping to using Orcs (my first fantasy army) but I don't seem able to drag myself away from the High Elves. I like how they look and their playstyle suits me too much.

Games Workshop announce their latest book: How to Roll Citadel Dice

I failed miserably in my efforts to cut down on my collection, and ordered loads of the new Grey Knights (although I am selling my Vampire Counts & Dark Elves, as well as my Menoth & Circle for Warmahordes). Had the dispatch note in the early hours of yesterday morning, so they should be turning up today. I'd really recommend Dark Sphere for all your GW-related purchases. 25% off rrp (20% in-store), and excellent service.

PM'ed you, rather than hijacking the thread - I've got quite a lot of it to shift. I realised that I had forces for every bloody faction, so am trying to cut things down to a more manageable level. I tend to pick up a selection of new releases every month, and it's only when we were moving house that I realised quite how many little metal and plastic men I had...

Just popped into my local GW for the first time in about 4 years. A teenage lad struck up a conversation with me about chaos daemons or some such, and came out with a line I won't forget for a while - "I'd love to be turned into a Nurgling, I'd do anything for Nurgle"

I'm not making this up, this actually happened, those were his precise words.

I quietly bought my can of black undercoat and left the shop.

Its kinda odd how they train their staff to do that. With kids/Grand parent types fair enough chances are they may need help. With a 20-50 year old just ask if they need help, people in looking for themselves can say "ta but leave me alone" and parents can go "Cheers" and wave the birthday list or whatever at them. I guess the just have a blanket policy to keep it simple for the staff as they can't be trusted to be clever enough to use their own judgement on if customers need help at all or not.

Or maybe they just prey on the weak ones and so you have to go in looking angry, in a mood to punch stuff and not make eye contact then you will be left alone :)

I find Games Workshop a bit odd in general. They have an absolute stranglehold on an incredibly niche market, and are the only the only company in gaming to have a widespread chain of stores on an international level - like Apple of Sony. On top of that they have products in loads of indie game stores and toy shops. The tiny West Country town of Tavistock only has one toy shop and one game store (which has a handful of board/card games, a couple shelves of used video games dating back to the first PlayStation, and some PC hardware) but they both have masses of Game Workshop stuff, as does the hobby store that sells RC cars, railways, model yachts and does boot repairs.

There's also that strange informal/formal dichotomy when it comes to business, where they're happy to have people in the store playing games and waffling about those nurgling things that kid threatened Joyrex with, but only so long as they're using painted figurines for their games, and spending money. It's like they're some nerdy creche, or a brothel for people who want to get the end of their Citadel Miniatures paintbrush wet.

Back when our Games Workshop first opened I didn't know how they'd stay afloat, and that was back when I actually knew people who played 40K and Blood Bowl, and stuff like that. Yet decades later, they've survived the comic shops, the indie record stores and game shops, and several large chains who've been swallowed in business deals or by a voracious economy. They're like one of those Rhino jobbies, trundling over the blasted landscape laying waste to all comers. It's weird.