IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Apologies for wandering in here randomly and asking stupid questions, but how many of you bought the Space Hulk limited edition released last year and is it any good? To be more accurate, is it worth paying double the price for an opened copy like some of the massive cunts on eBay are flogging them for (in particular, the guy who is selling his because of a house move and a child on the way, which I could sympathise with, except it's still wrapped in the fucking plastic more than a year after he bought it :angry:)

Bonus question: does it just replace the main game, or does it cover the expansions Deathwing and Genestealer (IIRC) too?

I think it has the expanded rule-sets in it, yeah. A lot of people knew they were going to be deleted so they bought them with the intent of selling them on so yeah, utter cunts. As to whether it's worth £130 well...I'd prolly say not. You could get 3 wicked non-Space Marine board games for that money.

The rules for the le space hulk incorporate some elements from the expansions - additional terminator weapons and psychic powers. It's a very good game and the miniatures are of exceptional quality but for over £100 maybe not unless you intend to play often.

I think it has the expanded rule-sets in it, yeah. A lot of people knew they were going to be deleted so they bought them with the intent of selling them on so yeah, utter cunts. As to whether it's worth £130 well...I'd prolly say not. You could get 3 wicked non-Space Marine board games for that money.

Bollocks. I loved Space Hulk, despite being absolutely rubbish at it, and would have loved an updated copy. :(

So, quite possibly the wrong thread for this, but what three games would you recommend? Thunderstone Bloodspire I'm guessing and...?

I spent pretty much £100 buying a copy because I loved it when I was younger too, and haven't regretted it for a moment. Mr Grinder makes a good point about getting a few other games instead though. I don't think I'd want it to be the only game I had available. Do you currently own any other games?

GW have announced they will be, um, making an announcement on 23 May about a new resin range called Citadel Finecast. A few websites have jumped the gun and it would appear that 120 direct only/deleted metal miniatures are being released in resin. The leaked price list indicates increases of up to 30% <_<

Yeah I've seen the price list for those models and some of them are ridiculous! Kroq-Gar (Lizardmen lord choice on Carnosaur mount) will be going for £40, he was only £30 when made from "expensive" white metal! The whole point of all this switching to resin melarky was to make things cheaper.

Yeah, if those prices are accurate they're pretty much indefensible.

Haven't they only just got back into the black recently even after year on year of price rises and laying off a bunch of staff from every store (including closing several)?

Someone pointed out on another forum that they thought it was amusing that there were always threads about people complaining about price increases and always threads about GW being in a mess financially. So if it's not justified rising the prices then where does the money go they make and would it be better they just went bust than increase prices.

I'm not saying I like it of course. I'll probably just buy the same amount in terms of value it just means I end up with less models (arguably a good thing).

Gw can charge whatever they like and continue to pretend that they are the only company selling these products. The reality is I won't touch their hobby supplies since I can get paints, tools and basing materials of a similar or better quality a lot cheaper from elsewhere. If I want miniatures I first look on ebay and if that fails then I give careful consideration as to whether I really want to spend £20 on a couple of toy soldiers. Whereas I probably wouldn't think about spending £5 on one and doing so regularly. (The fact that very few of the lotr characters are available individually and instead can be purchased only as a mounted/on foot combo or as a dual pack with another character is a separate issue).

I don't agree with the hate that gw gets on the internet and accept that they are a business trying to make money. But if they want my money they need to work harder.

Well that doesn't address what I was saying at all. How do you mean work harder? I mean one of my biggest complaints is the one man store nonsense but that was put in place when the company was making a loss. If the company was rolling in cash then it might be understandable but it's not as many of the more recent price hikes and other changes to cut costs were to keep the company around.

It's not like GW models are that much more expensive than others of a similar quality. Or are you talking about Mantic and the like where the quality is much lower.

I've never really complained about the cost per mini so I guess I wasn't trying to answer your point rather give my own take on this announcement. Gw can run their business however they want and as a rational consumer I'll make a judgement based on my perceived value of their products. As it stands I'm not likely to spend much in future since lotr has run its course. I would have liked to collect a sizeable force for each faction but this price increase (which affects plastic as well as the new resins) has made me reconsider.

Thankfully there are plenty of other manufacturers around these days for me to get my miniature painting kicks.

yes they are - the texture was better than the lead ones too.

i remember when I painted them - thinking, wel, these have been in the earth for too long and the bleached bone style Games Workshop effect was too clean.

I dirtied my fingers a little with some different mixes (mainly brown) and used that as a dry-finger highlight and smear. I loved how they looked.

Games Workshop in being gouging cunts shock.

GW do seem to be a bot of an Evil Empire at times. My brother set up a small business reselling GW figures. Customers would provide him with an army list and he'd supply the figures - so if skelletons come in boxes of 20 and you needed 25, he'd supply 25. GW would sell him the figures at something like 70% of retail and he'd sell them on at not far off retail. Their only conditions were that he was a registered business and he ordered at least a certain amount each year. He wasn't making a killing out of it, but was getting enough to pay his way through uni.

Then suddenly, GW isisted that he had to accept credit cards in order to get the 30% discount (he'd been doing everything through PayPal at this point), claiming that it offered customers protection against him ripping them off. He rang the sales guy he'd always dealt with and pointed out that PayPal offered pretty much the same protection. After a little while of just saying "it's new company policy", the guy eventually said "we're doing it because there are too many companies reselling cropping up and it's eating into our profits, we want people buying direct from us at RRP" He looked into being able to accept credit cards and the fees would have eaten his profit and that was that.

Thing is, he realised that bigger resellers would be able to afford the fees, but smaller ones wouldn't. So GW were basically going after the small businesses that were nibbling at their profits, despite the fact they must have still been making some profit out of them.

And it kind of illustrates the mark-up if they were willing to sell to him at 70% of rrp.

I picked up my first Finecast figures over the weekend, and I'm reasonably impressed. I wanted a Treeman (despite the material change bumping the price up by £12, lessened somewhat by buying from Dark Sphere), and having assembled a metal one before I know what a pain he was - several pieces which required strong pinning, and four separate feet which seem designed not to point in the same direction (ie. down).

As it was, he went together with very little trouble. A dot of superglue formed a quick and strong seal and I've not had to pin anything. The legs still seemed twisted (or maybe I just can't work this guy out), but running a few joints under hot water allowed me to re-angle them. Detail seems nice and crisp, although when looking in store at the far more delicate Urien Rakarth, I did notice that a few of them had a cracked joint below the feet - its worth checking blisters before purchase. There wasn't much flash to clean, and the resin is nice and springy - if GW can sort out the casting problems they should be onto a winner.

Aye, I have to say that while the cost is exorbitant, the models I've seen do seem markedly improved on the metal originals - less flaws in them making the detail much clearer, and of course them being lighter is a massive boon for construction.

Aye, I have to say that while the cost is exorbitant, the models I've seen do seem markedly improved on the metal originals - less flaws in them making the detail much clearer, and of course them being lighter is a massive boon for construction.

By all accounts the price increase was going to happen anyway so the resins aren't more expensive as such.

I went into the store today to have a look at the finecase miniatures and yes they are very impressive models. If I didn't already have multiple versions of the old metal figures I'd have bought the fellowship set; the Legolas figure in particular is stunning. As it is I'll hold off until I don't have so many unpainted figures on my shelf.

I caved in and bought my first finecast miniature. The detail for the most part is very sharp and the resin is easy to work with. However, gw's quality control is lacking; lots of air bubbles, horrendous mould lines and large areas where the resin didn't fill the mould. Since I didn't fancy a two hour round trip to the gw store this morning I made the most of my rudimentary greenstuff skills. This "new era of wargaming" is not very convincing.

Hmm, that's a bit worrying. I had seen the hilarious amounts of flash that are on some of the models, but that didn't bother me; large areas where the resin hasn't filled the mould, though, that's awful.