Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

If you're sure! I've covered warscomputer game and comic conventions you know, I'm used to crowds of overexcited nerds pushing and grasping for precious items ;)

Well, if you get time and have £45 to spare then I won't rule it out and would pay you back via Paypal/Transfer as required. I wouldn't go out of your way though - enjoy the show/tournament before you worry about doing the ninja shopper thing.

So this magic wash. Will it fix these?

396443669.jpg

http://twitpic.com/6k15w5

(I am truly, truly shit - 45 minutes that "detailing" took me)

Quick and easy way to do a 'base' for Blood Angels. Skull White Spray->Blood Red Basecoat->Devlan Mud/Baal Red wash->Drybrush Blazing Orange.

Working out ok for me so far, on a bit of a production line to get ready for a tournament in November

Right, I promised pictures, and pictures you'll get! Far too many of them, in fact.

Firstly: a level view of the army:

post-409-096461900 1316862825_thumb.jpg

Oooh, menacing! And completely low on detail ;)

And from a slightly more advantageous position:

post-409-037823700 1316862879_thumb.jpg

And a different angle:

post-409-029503000 1316862917_thumb.jpg

Following are a bunch of close-up shots of the different units, spoilered to avoid having the post flatten the thread. Unlike those first few, the next are Picasa Web Album thumbnails and links, rather than attachments.

Knights of Dol Amroth (two shots):

Knights%252520front.JPG

Knights%252520Left.JPG

The Grey Company:

Grey%252520Company.JPG

Rangers of Ithilien:

Rangers%252520of%252520Ithilien%252520side.JPG

Aragorn (mounted) and Faramir (on foot), with warriors in the background:

Aragorn%25252C%252520Faramir%252520and%252520warriors%2525202.JPG

Warriors in focus, Faramir (mounted) and Aragorn (on foot) in the foreground:

Aragorn%25252C%252520Faramir%252520and%252520Warriors.JPG

And that's it! There's still some tidying to do (the only thing I'll do before the tournament is paint the little stands that go into the slotted bases of the companies of warriors that still haven't had theirs done - silver plastic shows up quite clearly against dark brown. But other than that, they're ready for battle!

Well, we only got to play two matches apiece, both finished early (the first in three of the eight turns, the second in four :(), and as I had to leave early to get the coach back I don't actually know how I placed :facepalm:

However: of the two matches I played, the first was against an army of Rohan, made up entirely of cavalry plus a few allied Gondorian ballistae (bloody turncoats ;)). He managed to kill five companies of Warriors of Minas Tirith (i.e. half of them) and three companies of my most expensive unit, the Knights of Dol Amroth (i.e. 3/4 of them) - which is to say he killed 125 points of infantry, and 150 points of cavalry, for a total of 275 points. However, I found out afterwards that we'd gotten the rules wrong when charging my cavalry, as he gave himself an eight dice per company for the charge (which, with four companies slamming into my side, made for a lot of dice) - when he should have rolled only four. Assuming that would have halved his successes, he'd only have killed 50 points worth of cavalry (half companies aren't counted).

Which is to say, he scored 275 points, but should probably have only got 175 points of that - my own fault for not knowing the cavalry on cavalry rules well enough.

In return, I managed to charge his heavy cavalry in the rear with some generic rangers. Now, rangers aren't brilliant fighters, and cavalry fight first... but cavalry fight awfully when charged, and even worse when charged in the back. He got to make a whole 4 attacks, one of which hit its target. My rangers then rolled their 28 dice, merrily ignoring the defensive bonuses his shields should earn him, and wiped nearly all of the unit. I did further damage from withering hails of fire from the other rangers and my Grey Company, while my warriors got a few kills in while on the defensive. In total, I ended up killing 360 points worth of damage (initially he counted it to be 400 points, but then changed his mind when the guy came to collect our results. As he'd put away his models by this point, I couldn't dispute it).

So, officially I won that battle 360 points to 275. Unofficially, I should probably have won it either 360 to 175, or 400 to 175. So I was pretty happy with that battle. Having those rangers spring out of ambush, and charge into the rear of a cavalry unit was the highlight, obviously :D

Second battle... the second battle was against exactly what I'd hoped to avoid - a magic-oriented, character heavy army. The guy I was facing was fielding an Isengard army with five characters, drawn from three different forces, three of which mages. They were Saruman, one of the Ringwraiths (The Betrayer), Druzhag the Beastcaller , Lurtz and Thrydan Wolfsbane. In other words, 640 points of his army was made up of characters, the vast majority of which was pumped into magic users. I couldn't touch them because of Lurtz (who could assassinate either of my two characters if they came near), while the Betrayer sat in an annoying unit of crossbowmen, doing absurd damage with his rerolls.* Apparently he completely demolished his previous opponent, and I could see why. Still, over four turns we played, and it ended up being a lot closer than I expected - having wiped out all his wargs and pikemen and half of his crossbowmen, in exchange for an entire formation of rangers along with Faramir (annoyingly, killed by overwhelming magic on the turn they came in), two companies of warriors and exactly three companies of Grey Company, I lost by only fifteen points - 405 points to 390.

The forces at set up - mine all placed (those off the table are ambushers), his being put on the table, but not into their positions for battle. You can see four of the five sodding characters in the middle of the background ;)

post-409-006510500 1317132321_thumb.jpg

I did enjoy the games (though the second player was a bit... pushy), and have learned a few things. In future, if faced with characters entrenched in a big unit as they were, I'll just force the assault and damn the potential loss of my characters - the fact is that my Grey Company and Dol Amroth knights could probably have cut them down in short order, even at the loss of Aragorn, and it would have been worth it to eliminate two of his mages and Lurtz. If I'd known how devastating their magic was, I would have. Similarly, I won't forget the rules for cavalry charging cavalry, or for rerolls, any time soon!

*which I found out he'd been doing wrongly after the fact, which I'd wondered about at the time. To hit my Grey Company, in a building, he had to roll sixes followed by fours. He would roll for sixes. Any that failed he rerolled. Then he rolled for the fours with all of said dice, and would reroll again. Meaning that a bunch of dice would be rerolled twice. He should, of course, have rolled for sixes, then rolled the successes, rerolling those where necessary. THEN he should have rerolled the initial failed rolls, and any that succeeded could have gone to the second phase of rolling for fours without the option of a further reroll there. I did notice at the time, but wasn't sure if that was how things The Betrayer was meant to be played, and didn't want to make a fuss). Still, would have hurt either way.

It's by far my favourite massed battle system. The I-move-you-move-I-shoot-you-shoot... system is much better than the more generic turn based system, allowing for a lot more dynamism - particularly with heroes and captains allowing units to act out of sequence, for a cost. Hence in the first battle me being able to charge his cavalry in the back even though he had priority: because he moved first, my ambushers appeared after his units were in fixed positions - and the ambushers next to his unit had Faramir in, allowing him to call a 'Heroic charge' in the enemy's charge phase, smashing them in the rear. It's really, really good fun.

Just got a newsletter from GW, and it mumbles something about 'sorry for the long queues'. What made me laugh is the bit where they said 'we've got a better plan in place for next year'. Seeing as how every single year since Forgeworld has been there the queues have been equally terrible, I'd love to see what they come up with...

I've not been to other Games Days, but a good few people did tell me it was worse than usual - as in, the queue spilled out all the way into the display area, bisecting it - and the Warlords tournament, which was infuriating, as because the staff couldn't see both sides of the games, we had to lug our models around with us between matches (originally they were meant to be left on the tables to be judged for painting quality between games. Presumably that part of the scoring was dropped entirely), and massively increased downtime from packing and unpacking the models between games. Not so bad when you're fighting a smaller game (or have a character/monster-based army), but with 204 figures to deal with, not too great. Fortunately, my local staffer was managing another table, and offered to look after my bag for me, so I didn't end up having to lug a bag filled with models and rulebooks around the NEC.

Oh, I completely forgot to mention - I failed to get that book :( By the time the first match had stopped, the queue for Forge World was just hilariously unfathomable. Sorry idespair :(

No worries - I suspected that might be the case, and having heard other show reports it does seem like the organisation was a bit of a disaster. Nice write-up of your games though - it makes me want to dig out my figures and start playing (you won't be surprised to learn that I've got the rulebook).

• 2 weeks later...

Dilemma! :omg: do I get rid of my Necron Army? I have a good opportunity coming up to get rid of it

CIMG0365.JPGcimg0351.jpgCIMG0213.JPG

CIMG0222.JPG

A good chunk of it I bought pre-painted for a fair bit many years ago (those are the white ones in the pics) and added to with the Monolith, some heavy destroyers, and an extra squad of Necrons

Pros & Cons:

Reasons to keep - I spent a long time painting things like the Monolith (which I'm still rather proud of). It all cost me lots which I won't get a fraction of, if I sell. It doesn't really take up much room (it's mainly all in the loft). I hate getting rid of things

Reasons to sell - I only played the army once, and realised I don't really like 40K and have no intention of playing it again. Much as I like it, the Monolith kicks round my game room literally collecting dust. It's stupid to hang onto stuff I don't want.

Help me rllmuk!

It's tricky to say. Current rumour is that there will be a new Necron book in November, along with a whole new bunch of miniatures (although Warriors & Destroyers are probably just recut sprues). Knowing this, the army may be worth less if there are new figures, but there again demand will be much higher with a new book on the stand...

I'd say hold on for a few weeks - Ogres & Tomb Kings definitely went up in value earlier this year, so I'd expect Necrons to do the same.

When are you going to play it? Never. What are you going to do with them? Stick them in the loft. How long have they been up there? I'll hazard a guess at fucking ages. Get rid and buy yourself a pint or some Orange Goblin albums or a copy of Blood Bowl Team Manager or something, man.

Guys - I have a fully boxed set of the latest Warhammer Fantasy game that I bought a month or two after it was released earlier on this year. I 'built' everything and undercoated everything but didnt get around to painting anything.

I'm leaving the country and cant really bring the box with me.

Would any you want to take it off my hands.

I'm basically open to any offers - I cant take it with me, and I dont want to just throw it away.

Let me know via PM or something.

Guys - I have a fully boxed set of the latest Warhammer Fantasy game that I bought a month or two after it was released earlier on this year. I 'built' everything and undercoated everything but didnt get around to painting anything.

I'm leaving the country and cant really bring the box with me.

Would any you want to take it off my hands.

I'm basically open to any offers - I cant take it with me, and I dont want to just throw it away.

Let me know via PM or something.

Have you got a link to what it is? I've done a search but it could be a variety of things. Ta!