Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

OK I hear you, but could I even charge £300 (effectively list price, no painted mark-up) for them?

I mean who is going to fork out that much in one go? On the other hand it seems mental to sell them *less* than they would be if you wandered into GW with your credit card!

OK I hear you, but could I even charge £300 (effectively list price, no painted mark-up) for them?

I mean who is going to fork out that much in one go? On the other hand it seems mental to sell them *less* than they would be if you wandered into GW with your credit card!

But for a hobbyist half the fun is gone, so you're left selling to the 40k players only. If you put them on ebay I'm sure you'd get at least £200 (whether you start at 99p or £200, though I'd recommend the former) but I doubt you'll get what the paintjobs are worth, even with great pics (the ones you put on + are good but could do with a lighter background). You might well get more in the flesh at SELWG but yeah, that rather depends on someone turning up with £300 toy soldier money..

As I said a few posts ago - Necrons should be getting a new army book in a couple of weeks time (probably 5 November). Hold on till then, take some nice pictures and then sell the army on eBay by the unit. It's the best way to maximise the price.

Then you'll probably want to start them off at 50% RRP + P&P (remember that you can buy them new online for 75% RRP from Dark Sphere) and keep your fingers crossed.

a full army should get more than on a model by model or squad by squad basis. It does kinda depend a bit on what's in the army and how they work in the new book I guess but generally if it's all painted to a decent standard you're better off selling them all in one go as people that are willing to shell out for an army don't want all bits and pieces all painted in different colours, they want something that looks coherent as much as possible.

All the novels are on their website (under the Books menu at the top), but they don't sell the licensed stuff from Relic and Fantasy Flight directly. The most you'll see is the occasional advert in WHite Dwarf.

As for those Necrons... I'll be dusting off the box of Necrons in the back room, because those are fantastic. It looks like they've learnt a lot from the Dark Eldar release and have really tidied up and focused the range whilst expanding it massively. I'm really impressed with the models we've seen this year - if it wasn't for some strange business practices, I'd think we were entering a new golden era for GW.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted some painted stuff. I'm thinking of doing a small elf army entirely in non-metallic metal armour and given how slow I paint this will be another of my half finished projects. Here's my progress so far:

6281316370_18fc958b10.jpg

Between you and Joyrex's Ashardalon minis (now I can see what he started with) I'm feeling like a 5 year old watching Tony Hart again.

Seriously good work fella.

Ha thanks.

For the record here is one of my first minis from about nine years ago

6287153660_755fdd72f2.jpg

After painting a few Space Crusade Orcs and ballsing up the Chaos Marines (they looked nothing like what I had in mind by the time I finished), I decided I wanted to do something quick and dirty. Opted for the androids - an easy boltgun metal base, badab black wash and mithril silver dry brushing later and they were done:

post-2339-003148300 1320055126_thumb.jpe

For some reason, this caused me to decide to break out one of the Island Of Blood figures and have a crack at at a Rat Ogre. I figured I'd need a guide, so followed one. Even though I didn't have all the colours, and even though I was lazy and wanted to prove to myself it could all be done in an evening, it came out really well:

post-2339-041986500 1320054896_thumb.jpe

post-2339-023390700 1320054904_thumb.jpe

I think that Father Vegetable undercoating it first helped immensely, and the model did all the hard work with all the detail it has, but picking out elements and pulling it together helped me realise that even though the SC figures look shit, the work I'm doing there is really helping. That rat ogre is a single coat of Tallarn Flesh on the skin, a bit of a mix for the bronze and boltgun metal essentially. 2 washes of Ogryn Skin later and it looked great.

Then I returned to SC because I hate myself:

post-2339-051541300 1320055370_thumb.jpe

The shit undercoating I did has done so much damage, if I can even get them looking remotely acceptable I'll be happy, before moving on.

After painting a few Space Crusade Orcs and ballsing up the Chaos Marines (they looked nothing like what I had in mind by the time I finished), I decided I wanted to do something quick and dirty. Opted for the androids - an easy boltgun metal base, badab black wash and mithril silver dry brushing later and they were done:

post-2339-003148300 1320055126_thumb.jpe

I do love the way that they're clearly a very early "sketch" of necrons (pre-dating the necrons' launch by about 8 years)... If I had a Necron army i'd be so tempted to have a squad of them...

• 4 weeks later...

I'll keep posting in here even though I'm half convinced it should be in the miniatures appreciation thread.

About a month ago I set out to paint the 16 Gretchin I have from the Space Crusade set. Initially I thought about making them all individual but realised there were so many common elements aside from the gun and the head I may as well try to do some batch processing. Thus, adopting a Ford like mentality to the factory line, I challenged myself to whizz through common elements and see how good a job I could do in this way.

post-2339-079339400 1323341605_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results. It's clear to me now that I need to move onto highlighting manually - I could have really brought these alive with some careful application and the standard colour+wash leaves things very dull - but it's a skill that's a bit scary to learn. I'll probably finish up the SC set (5 marines, 5 orces and a dreadnought to go) and then move onto that with the skavens I have to practice on.

So, not as good as big ratty, but competent enough that I'm pleased.

I think it's best to use washes as part of the process rather than a one stop shading/highlighting tool. A common technique is to reset the basecoat following the wash which means to paint your base colour again leaving the recesses shaded. This gives a cleaner midtone for applying highlights.