Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

*in the "elegant rules" sense, not the "game to bring out at a fancy soirée" sense. Though, having never been to a fancy soirée, I suppose I could be under a misapprehension there...

:lol:

being a chap I actually wore a tweed jacket and pocket square when I went to Warhammer world to play 40K. I got a few comments!

Some more wd scans have appeared of the new lotr figures. The existing command packs are being released in finecast with an additional new figure which from what I can tell are really cool. I'll definitely buy the rohan pack and maybe some easterlings.

I seem to remember Mike McVey doing a very impressive diorama of that scene.

I remember it as well. Here's a picture I found:

489024436972376a7999bd.th.jpg

In other news....until today I hadn't bought any 40K miniatures in a long time. However, I just had to have the 40K 25th Anniversary model, due out late Feb. So have preordered this today:

m2220123a9981010102440k.th.jpg

Then, after ordering, I was just having a look around the net for 40k info and found a picture of the 2012 Game Day model. A wave of nostalgia filled me as it's straight off the 2nd Edition box. Another guaranteed purchase for me.

gd2012001.th.jpg

I don't like the way they've wimped out, on the Rogue Trader model, by making the sort of fist-gun thing he had on the artwork into a plasma pistol. (presumably because they can't release something with a non wysiwyg weapon any more - there'd be endless arguments abiout what it is if people used it in a game). I do really want the 2nd Edition box Blood angel captain, though.

I'm slightly disappointed by the 25th anniversary stuff - I know a re-release of the original book, or RTB01 marines, was never really on the cards, but a single mini, a a poster, and mousemat seems a bit half-arsed. (though - all WFB got was the Harry the Hammer model, thinking of it...)

I sold a couple of figures on eBay the other day - painted up ones. Whilst it wasn't huge great swathes of cash, it was a useful amount to put into my JoeK Mini pot to make more figures (well, actually it's gone on getting some graphic design done for the business, but it's kind of the same). So, I thought I'd kill a number of birds with the same stone, and give it another go with new figures. I'm not going to be buying any new ones - I have boxes of the damn things which have never been opened in some cases, so more than enough. It hopefully will give me some cash, but also gets me into the painting mode!

Anyhoo, I picked up these:

Orkwip1.jpg

when they were first released and they're really great figures. Seemingly easy enough to put together too - another issue I have when it comes to doing any painting. Going to attempt to get the standard fairly close to the usual 'EM style really - no fancy techniques, just (hopefully) solid painting which might sell.

Here's what I call the carousels of doom:

Orkwip2.jpg

Cleaned and ready to be primed up.

Wish me luck!

It's pretty cool. Just one thing bothers me, you obviously can't use it in a normal game due to the base, so why did they have to use an updated gun instead what was on the original? Should have been a real throwback to the time. They could have also added more marines to make it a slightly bigger/impressive diorama.

I've been thinking about selling some of the miniatures I've got cluttering up my dad's loft, most are probably not worth much but I know I have a boxed set of these: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Oriental_Heroes_Deluxe_Boxed_Set_(solid_base) EDIT Stupid forum, that link works if you add the bracket at the end so it's part of the link!

They came in a gorgeous box which the Internet doesn't seem to have a picture of. Now how would I go about pricing something like that if I wanted to eBay them? I haven't looked at them in a while so it's possible they've oxidised into dust, but I know I painted a few of them, so I'm hopeful they are still intact!

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh, I'm really no good at painting more than one figure at a time :P. Slowly moving forward with them, but have gone down to three at the moment - little bit more time and care I guess.

DSC03503.jpg

Still so much to do - nothing anywhere is finished really, and I've still got to make up the backpack missile things too. Still, no time limit imposed, so I'll trudge on :)

Sheesh, I'm really no good at painting more than one figure at a time tongue.png. Slowly moving forward with them, but have gone down to three at the moment - little bit more time and care I guess.

Still so much to do - nothing anywhere is finished really, and I've still got to make up the backpack missile things too. Still, no time limit imposed, so I'll trudge on smile.png

I hate the miniatures but I love the painting. May I ask a few questions:

I notice you use grey basecoat, why that rather than black (for easy black lining) or white (for bright colours)?

Great colours and shading. Do you use very thin paint to achieve those effects (in lots of layers).

I hate the miniatures but I love the painting. May I ask a few questions:

I notice you use grey basecoat, why that rather than black (for easy black lining) or white (for bright colours)?

Great colours and shading. Do you use very thin paint to achieve those effects (in lots of layers).

Cheers mate.

One of the reasons I avoid a black undercoat is partly down to the fact that I find it hard to see the details when it comes to slapping on the paint! Purely and simply, my eyesight's pretty shit when it comes to these things! Second reason is that black never 'holds' paint as well as grey or white. Despite what anyone says, if you're spraying with the standard primers from GW or Army Painter etc, they are not strictly 'primers' - more acrylic paint in spray form.

As for white - used to use it all the time, but to be honest I find the grey picks out details much better, and certainly the Halford's one I now have been using for years is just wonderful stuff. Never had any problems on it, I can see details perfectly, and any paint sticks to it perfectly :)

Finally, I certainly thin out the paint a fair bit at the start, but more often than not the paint gets thicker and thicker as I get to the final highlights. What I do all the time is glaze over each layer with thinned inks and washes. Very, very thin but loads of them - which softens those transitions nicely. I blend a little, but quite honestly I find it mind-numbingly tedious and I'd rather get a similar effect an easier way. I'm not a competition painter, and I'm never going to be, so most of the super-dooper techniques you see around the place bore me to death. I'm not looking to paint perfect, just paint up to enjoy it. I've always found my way sound long and difficult, but it's really very, very straightforward.

Best thing - no neatness involved :P

Thanks, Joe.

I have a can of that Halfords grey primer knocking about. I haven't used it.

I agree with your painting philosphy! I'm from the days of basecoat, wash, dry brush, done. I have a massive lead pile and one day (one day!) I will get back to painting.

I can't be bothered with lots of blending so I had already identified lots of washes as a way to go. Thanks for the tips, very useful and I like the idea of using the washes to smooth transitions. A step by step would be really good (if you can be bothered).

After a couple of months of doing other things I have returned to Middle Earth. Other than his name and that he is an elf (going from his pointy ears) I have no idea who this guy is and bought him only for completeness sake. Still I think he's looking good so far.

6918775421_f8c6b34fd2.jpg

Sheesh Cocky - everytime you post up a figure it seems to be better than the last. Obviously a good thing though :P

Can't say I like the figure much (there are very few of the LOtR figs which do anything for me at all), but it's looking great man!

Nice job. Círdan is the guy who builds the ships that the elves use to leave Middle-earth. I'm pretty sure he was sculpted for completeness' sake too.

Thanks. I think he was part of the white council set and in fairness to gw they did a good job of producing almost all of the named characters from the book (along with numerous variations of Gandalf and Aragorn.)

Sheesh Cocky - everytime you post up a figure it seems to be better than the last. Obviously a good thing though :P

Can't say I like the figure much (there are very few of the LOtR figs which do anything for me at all), but it's looking great man!

Thanks again. I feel that these days I don't have to think too much about the process of putting paint on the model and can concentrate more on how I want the model to look.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Black Library Live event last Saturday, just to keep my toe in with GW ;)

We went last year and thought they would have closed the place off but they still had gaming tables set up. So we decided to claim a table this year and do what i've wanted to do since seeing the pictures of the GW HQ all those years prior in WD. Play a game of 40k in the gaming hall!

Booked a table a few months back and set about building my Tau army. I have literally only got the battle box set which is roughly 600 points. My opponent had quite a lot of Space Marines at his disposal so his army was optimal and mine, erm, wasn't.

From the time this plan was hatched i'd essentially given up on 40k and embraced Warmachine so our only previous game of 40k was about 18months prior (!!). There was an awful lot of reading the quick start book (how far can assault weapons fire?).

Needless to say my poor Tau was trounced. Was a great game though. I did have to chuckle at all the stereotypes coming out though. Game opposite us had Orks vs SM. The Orks charged in for an assault and the guy literally scooped up about 40 dice, shook them and just dropped them into a bucket. Spent about 5 mins picking out all the succesful rolls...

I'm thinking of sticking with it though, as I do like the models, just need to find a regular game though (not as much fun as WM though :P)

The only realy annoyance of the day was browsing in the shop. Its almost comical what i'm going to type as everyones experienced this. I've never had it so blatant though. I think I was jumped on three times by staff asking the same tired spiel about what I played and what i'm looking at. I moved about three paces and uh oh, here comes the fourth staff member! Now, i'm not a rude person, i'll talk to anyone but its just a horrible feeling. Especially as when it appears they won't get a sale out of it, they just get this glazed look in their eyes and break off the conversation.

So the fourth guy starts his spiel and I just snapped at him. 'I don't need help to look. Thank. You'. And I just put back what I had in my hands and walked off. :huh: I felt really bad afterwards.

Only for a minute though, I consoled myself with a mahooosive burger in Bugmans Bar :hat:

I used 'Fairy Power Spray' - as it was in the cupboard - diluted it into a small plastic tub with some water and left it 'stew' for about 6hrs. I scrubbed it clean (well almost clean) with an old toothbrush and used a pin to try and dig out some of the paint lodged in the really small nooks and crannies. Overall, I'd say the Terminator came out 99% paint free.

I was told to get 'SimpleGreen' for paint stripping, but it doesn't appear to be quite as easy to get a hold of. Whereas Fairy Power Spray is available in most places.

Some plastic models will be next, as the 'Fairy Power Spray' is

to use on them!

• 1 month later...

Superb stuff. The photography's coming along, too! Do you have to submit your own pics to the competitions though? If so, it might be worth grabbing a mate with some expensive gear and getting a free photo sesh ;)

I'd hate it if someone with less talent than you won simply because they'd paid some professional to shoot the model :(

EDIT: another quick pro tip (spoilered in case people would rather ignore it!):

if the subject is in motion (it doesn't matter whether they are actually in motion, like an animal in the wild, or posed in motion, like your mini is) leave some space in the frame for the leading part of the subject.

To put that into plain English, if we're talking about the picture above, you could leave less space on the right (maybe trim the frame so that it ends just after his cloak) and leave some space to the left of the sword's tip.

The reason for doing this is because the eye 'reads' the motion of the image and interprets the space being left as the space he'll 'move' into.

A very quick and ugly demonstration:

This is a picture of my hand with a finger sticking out:

zinger_no.jpg

This is a picture of me pointing:

zinger_yes.jpg

That's the same image twice, but cropped differently. In the second one, see how it starts to tell a story? Instead of it being an image of an appendage, it's someone pointing at something.

Hands are model's own ;)

Thanks. A couple of friends and I are looking at starting Legends of the Old West which is based on LOTR with some Necromunda thrown in. So I like the basic rules.

That sounds cool, have you had a chance to give it a go yet?

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread has made me want to get back into Warhammer again. I stopped when I was 17 because I had to choose between running my car and collecting, but now that I have a bit of money and a great deal of time I'm going to crack out the paintbrushes. I was never into gaming particularly, unless it was on Sundays at school—painting was my thing. I was pretty good at it but nowhere near the standard of Cocky and JoeZ. Jesus, guys. Talent.

Just out of interest, I have a few squads of Cadians, a Chimera, a Hellhound, and some other bits and pieces. Also, a fair amount of High Elf stuff. Would it be worth putting it in the Trading folder? I don't want much for it, I'm just moving to the States and can't take it with me, and don't want to have odds and sods lying about my parents' house in storage.