IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I should never have come in and read this thread. It's been about 15 years since I touched any of this but I'm getting interested. What's the current popular game? It was 40k when I was a lad but it's not something that really intersted me when I looked at it.

Warhammer 40,000 (Games Workshop)

warhammer Fantasy Battles (Games Workshop)

Warmachine (Privateer Press)

Hordes (Privateer Press)

Warpath (Mantic)

Kings of War (Mantic)

Malifaux Wyrd Minitures)

Flames of War (Battlefront)

They're the main games about at the moment.

Infinity is gradually making waves too, though it's still not made a big dent in the UK. Great if you want a skirmish-level game, not so great if you don't like the sci-fi stylings.

Of course, if you only have a GW and no other gaming clubs near you, then your choices will be severely limited - 40k, Fantasy Battles and maybe War of the Ring if you're lucky. Not even the old epic scale games, nor the boxed/skirmish systems.

Finished it...

img50ba70d92d2b7.jpg

Never can quite work out why my final photos always end of looking far worse than the WIP shots, but hey ho!

Well, I may be talentless when it comes to painting but I can at least answer this!

The problem with these shots is that the background colour's too similar to the model, whereas in the WIP shots It's got the right contrast.

I'd say generally you want the blandest possible background when shooting something colourful. If your edge highlights are light (whites; bronzes; golds) you want a black backdrop. With hard, dark edges you want white/cream.

That blue drop is good for contrasting with a model that is mostly black or mostly white but you might want to consider going down the bog-standard B or W route - hope that helps!

Well, I'm now quite obviously going through all the sodding SM chapters...

IMG_0611.jpg

It's really no fun painting red on smooth surfaces...be extremely happy when this one's done as it's been painful. Quite a bit of tidying up to do on it all, although I do like the eyes!

Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced sets to practice cloths/cloaks on? I have the islands of blood set but the hgh elves don't actually have that much material and the shaven are a little diddly. Happy doing fantasy or futuristic - just want to practice blending and good sized cloaks and material seems like a sensible place to start.

Whilst they don't have cloaks I think the gw ogres are really good for practising on. Their size makes them a lot more forgiving than standard 28mm models and they have a good mix of skin, cloth and metal to go crazy with. The only downside is that they are quite fiddly to paint when fully assembled so a bit of planning is required.

Have a look for any Mantic figures with cloaks. Price per figure is normally pretty reasonable.

The other way of doing it is looking at historical figures.

Perry Napoleonic figures. 40 for £18. http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2714 Each chap has like a long coat.

Perry Prussian line figures http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2515

Yep, the Perry twins are a good place to look for that sort of thing; whether in their historical ranges. A year ago I would have mentioned the Lord of the Rings miniatures from GW (many of which are Perry sculpts themselves), as they were reasonably-priced compared to GW's other ranges and offer a variety of cloth-wearing models. Unfortunately, I've noticed that GW have since put the price up of the boxes of plastic LOTR models... while halving the number of models in the boxes - so, before, you paid ~£12 for 24 models. Now you pay £15 for 12. Astonishing. And a shame, because it was a lovely range, and I'd have happily recommended a set of rangers or similar for practicing cloths on. No more.

I've not posted anything in here for ages as I hadn't done any painting or playing for over a year. I've been back into both Fantasy and 40k recently though and had a bit of a painting frenzy doing some Dark Eldar. So work in progress of a Venom:

2012-11-27+05.46.31.jpg

Happy with how the red has turned out but I need to keep the highlights on the green on the fins at the back a bit narrower

• 2 weeks later...

About 2 years ago, Stoofle gave me all his Games Workshop minis. I've not got the time, skill or patience to paint them, and I definitely can't be arsed to split them up and see if any are worth anything so I'm offering them to you guys, the regulars of this thread and folder. There's a catch: you have to collect them from Chesterfield. So much lead cannot be posted, it'd be obscene. I really don't want to tip this stuff, and eBay seems like a pain to do a job lot for collection and I'd feel funny selling on stuff that was given to me so I'd rather one of you lot take it off my hands.

Some of the minis are in great nick, some are fucked. Some are painted, some aren't. I'll retake the blurry photo in a while, but here's what the lot is:

20130103_145718.jpg.

20130103_145740.jpg

20130103_145754.jpg

20130103_145833.jpg

That last one is a tub full of figures. Anyway, let me know if any of you're interested. I'm sure they'll sit in the cupboard a while longer but if no-one gets in touch I'll have to figure something else out.

I'll take them off your hands dude. Will have to figure out how soon I can get to you (would have said next Wednesday on the way back from Leeds, but I'll have a car full of work colleagues), but yeah.

I can give a load of them to the boy to play with and continue his conversion that way...

Very generous of you - I'd be jealous, but for the fact I already have a mountain of models to paint, and have managed to rope myself into having to paint all of the goodies from the Escape from Goblin Town set for the lass.

On the subject of which: looking at the plastics, they're some absolutely gorgeous models. Shouldn't be a surprise, really, as it's the Perry twins again, but I'm actually quite impressed by the set. I'm sure my paint jobs will destroy them, but they've done an incredible job of mimicking the characters from the film.

• 2 weeks later...

I turned the excellent age of 32 years of age this week for which my wife surprised me with the Goblin Town set. Given how little progress I have made with Dark Vengence and Sedition Wars on its way I'll need to be a lot more efficient with my painting to avoid having lots of grey plastic lying around.

With this in mind I started with the goblins and used simple layering going for quick and dirty high contrast. This is my first attempt:

8388256235_eda21859d7_n.jpg

I've also started on Baron Harkonnen:

8396604322_4e2592b070.jpg

Your best bet is to pick up the new Dark Vengeance starter set - that'll give you a rulebook, and starter forces for Dark Angels and Chaos Space Marines although bear in mind that in typical GW style the contents are fairly heavily biased towards the 'good guys' (although in the grim darkness of the far future there aren't really any good guys - except possibly Tau). If you want to be bad-ass I'd avoid Tyranids at the moment - they're lovely models, but the rules are currently a tad sub-par. Top of the heap are probably Grey Knights, Space Wolves & Necrons.

You can do quite well in buying two starters and trading the contents, which will set two people up nicely. For the others look at the Battleforces, which usually have a decent selection of useful troops. One way to start is to do a slow-grow league. Start by buying 500 points worth of an army, then after a pre-set amount of time step up to games at 750/1000/1250/1500. That gives you time to assemble and paint what you've bought rather than ending up with the more typical box/pile/room of unpainted figures.

One thing to note is that GW region-lock independent suppliers, so if you're Singapore based then you'll have to buy locally rather than from one of the British discount retailers (my favourite being Dark Sphere who offer 25% off RRP). If you've got family/friends in the UK you might be better getting them to buy locally and then ship to you.

GW sell the newer codexes as Ipad books, but they cost the same as the print versions (£30 for the new Dark Angels book!),

they dont do free download versions. (though I;m sure they're available somewhere).

if you want to start with Orks, thenit might be worth looking around for the old "Battle for Black Reach" boxset as that comes with a good selection of orks - about 400 points worth, I think.

Just have a look at every army and get what you like the look of. Unless you're planning on playing tournaments all the time it's really not going to matter that much but just getting an army because someone somewhere told you it was the best is just asking for a loss of enthusiasm down the road. Contrary to the Internet the game isn't that unbalanced and it depends a lot on what your local circle is using so if it's Orks or Tyranids you like then go for them. That or you'll all end up with Grey Knights or Necrons.

Also I would say while the advice for buying in blocks of points you've worked out is good I wouldn't be too rigid with that. It's good if you have a lot of enthusiasm and the time to paint it up quickly but if you don't then you can find again you lose enthusiasm if you've seen something new and cool you want to include or, especially at small points values, your opponents have something in their army that is just really hard for you to deal with. That's partially what starts making things expensive so I would also not be afraid to proxy models first before buying new ones.

Your typical "Force Organisation" will consist of:

2x HQ choices (Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka would count as one of these)

3x Elite choices (I do believe heavy armoured Nobs are Elite)

6x Troop choices

3x Fast Attack choices

3x Heavy Support choices

As a minimum you'll need one HQ and two Troops choices, everything else is optional. There are characters in most codexes (army books) that alter your options slightly, from what I can remember of the Ork Codex Ghazghkull lets you take the Mega armoured Nobs as troops. Which is downtright dirty!

Orks in general are a pretty solid choice to go with. They're tough and know how to fight and can be pretty dependable, unless you start taking some of their fun toys, which can do a lot of random things, like the shock attack gun which can punch holes in tanks, blow up large chunks of infantry or teleport the shooter up to 18" (I think) in a random direction, amongst other things. The other good thing with Orks is you get to roll a shed load of dice, which is always fun!

As a starting point, I'd look over the GW website. It's got all the models for each race organised by Organisation choice (HQ, Elite, Troop...) and a quick run down of their stats and what special rules they have (by name only unfortuneatly).

If you wanted to start with a very tight force then you might want to look up "Kill Teams" which is basically a 200 point game which can be done in under 45 minutes usually. It's a dead simple way of learning the rules of the game without being bogged down by a million and one rules.

I'm sure that if you let us know which army you fancy, we can put together a decent and fun list for you to get started with. As Benji mentions, you must take two troop choices and an HQ so that's usually the best place to start your army - you'll have more fun if you can get straight into playing.

Check out Battlescribe - it's an army list editor, and if you do a bit of searching you can find links to data files for 40K. This'll help you sit and play around with lists on your computer/phone/tablet without needing pen, paper & calculator - I can't link the files, as strictly speaking they infringe on GW's copyright.

Plastic kits tend (although not always) to come with all the parts needed for the various options in the army lists. If you don't get enough parts then look at some of the bits sites - these guys buy plastic kits, snip off all the components and sell them individually. They're not that cheap, but are golden when you only need another two melta guns or similar.

If you're playing Orks take a look at Kromlech - they produce a range of unofficial conversion parts which are designed to fit GWs models and their range of Ork bits is superb.

Like idespair said most extras (like banners/poles) come in the box, you can get spare parts on line or, if you feel adventurous you can build them yourself. However before you go off customising every model with stuff that looks cool it's best to read the rules for the unit, find out what they're allowed and not allowed to take. No point in putting an awesome looking rocket launcher of a nob if they can only take a chopper and big shoota!

Having said that, Orks are one of the best armies for kit-bashing as that's what they're all about, they have a unique ability to cobble things together and have them just, work.

If you are thinking of going with Eldar you may want to talk with your local distributer about release dates for the Eldar because the rumour mill has them coming out this year with a new (and long over due) codex.