IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Bill the troll is kinda finished. I packed up most of my possessions yesterday ready for sending to america and mistakenly put the last piece of the model , which I was going to attach once the skin was finished, in one of the boxes. :doh: He's a little rushed too but overall I'm pleased with how he turned out.

8481816535_3aa7665f5b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Daemon books for both 40k and Fantasy were released this month and seeing as I have a Daemon army for Fantasy anyway it's a shame not just using it in 40k too. The problem is of course Fantasy is square bases and 40k is round ones and while I could just use square bases in 40k it looks a bit weird. So why do the minimum when you can do some horribly complicated method that requires a decent amount of work for each model :D

2013-03-15+03.07.15.jpg

2013-03-15+03.07.43.jpg

2013-03-16+19.01.08.jpg

2013-03-16+19.01.29.jpg

Cheers. No not really. I did quite a bit of work on it when I bought enough to get it to 1,500pts but it was mostly basecoating and fiddling with making weapons swappable so there isn't much to show at the moment. With the new daemon book getting released i've been spending my hobby time sorting that army out but I still have a lot of enthusiasm for the Dark Eldar so hopefully will get back to them soon. I'm far too easily distracted and rubbish at finishing things :)

Full army though:

2013-01-17+02.41.42.jpg

I'm like that too. I have far too many projects on my mind to ever get anything finished. Almost every horus heresy book makes me want an army for that particular legion and then there's my long term ambition of having every faction from lotr. Not just in a broad sense either; I want specific themed forces like Cirith Ungol and Dol Guldur rather than a generic Mordor build.

Yeah it's a bit sad having been playing for 20 years and i've only had 2 painted armies and those were tournament rush jobs. Hopefully the Dark Eldar will be the first exception.

See now i'm thinking about re painting my imperial space marines for the 3rd time so I could use them as part of my chaos and daemon forces.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Yeah, I thought I'd cleaned them up but obviously didn't. It's something I've not really started bothering with just yet - will probably look to start doing it now.

To be honest, I built the top and bottom half of the dreadnaught in an excited frenzy and then thought "shit, I've got to paint this now" so got off to a bad start straight away in terms of prep.

Would you recommend a proper removal file tool thing? I've tried using a knife but can't quite get the hang of it on the couple of goes I've had. Some of the mould lines here are actually joins as well.

I tend to prefere a knife over a file although it does depend on the surface you're trying to remove the mould lines from. What's been your issue using a knife? I use it with the blade at a right angle to the surface and then just scrape it over it a few times. I know you're supposed to cut away from you but I find you get more control if you scrape towards your thumb much like if you see someone skinning an apple with a knife. It's more controlled than using your hand away from yourself and as the blade is at an angle and you're not actually cutting anything you shouldn't be in much danger of slicing your thumb unless you sneeze or something.

I'm always crap at removing mould lines though. In too much of a hurry to glue together and start painting and then realise after undercoating that there is a massive one down the side of a figure or over the face or something :( Dread looks good though.

The scraping tool is v.good - but not really effective on the really small/hard to reach things. But if your looking for something which is quick and dirty to clean up the obvious stuff you can't go wrong with it - plus it's nowhere near as sharp as a scalpel so you're much less likely to stab yourself. I do love mine.

I'm sure there are cheaper non-GW alternatives out there somewhere though.

I've got a small set of different shaped files which I find handy to get to awkward areas. Otherwise a quick scrape with a knife usually does the trick.

Unless the lines are really obvious I'll only really take care to remove them on character/centre-piece models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've bought these elves on release however many years back and quiskly lost interest. They're probably the worst sculpts in the entire range with very little detail and bland, lumpy faces. After watching the hobbit again I took up the challenge of making something of them in the fashion of the Rivendell elves.

8688441895_2cd4fdf382_z.jpg

A few more lotr metals are no longer available too. Hopefully I can complete my collection before the rest are gone or switched to finecast. If not then that's more money for infinity and malifaux.

Tis a great shame GW have killed off the Specilist Games range, personaly can't see why they didn't just move it all over to finecast.

What's even more crazy is how fast it's all sold out, even the forgeworld stuff has sold out in a blink of an eye. My Tau BattleFleet won't be getting any bigger, which is a real kick in the teeth... love my ForgeWorld battlefleet...

personaly can't see why they didn't just move it all over to finecast.

The sales couldn't possibly justify the expense.

What's even more crazy is how fast it's all sold out

Doesn't work like that. Before anything goes NLA, it will have been on rundown for months, and all they'll have done is switch it off. Anything left will be recycled.