IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I left GW in May, so these are the first results I've seen without knowing for sure what happened, but I don't see anything to suggest it's based on pricing.

2012 was a crazily strong release schedule. The half year they're comparing with in the latest results had 40k 6th ed, Dark Vengeance, The Hobbit, and three of the most popular armies (and Daemons sell to to both Warhammer and 40k players).

Whereas last year they had Apocalypse, two of the less popular Warhammer armies, a few minor supplements, and probably relied on Space Marines to prop the whole thing up. Up against a console launch, and as much as they'll insist they don't compete with anyone else, it does make a difference.

They still made nearly £8m pre-tax profit, which historically is pretty high for them. They're not in any danger at all.

After the ramblings of price before, the upcoming GW dwarfs are looking rather nice:

Rr2Rw5l.jpg

nxKZkxP.jpg

It's a shame I shall never be able to afford them.

At the moment I do very much like the Mantic dwarves. The Avatars of War dwarf rangers are lovely also, but their beserkers are too OTT. But the GW dwarves have been awful since... well, ever. I loved them back when Citadel was a separate company and they made good use of Marauder Miniatures, but since the WHFB second ed they've been very cartoony. These look like the lessons from the LOTR short arses.

I'll be honest - I think those dwarves are absolute tosh. They look like they've been designed by a committee. A committee who decided to take any and ALL character out of the race.

Also - if you're going to attempt sculpting a figure in mid-pose, at least try and attempt to not make it look like the poor sod's tripped.

Christ - compare them to the Forgeworld command unit...

Dwarf-Command.jpg

It's all very well changing styles and everything, but...argh.

Honestly not sure why I just got so het up there. I haven't bought a dwarf for years!

It is. GW have been losing a lot of market share down here (do you guys have single-man GW stores in the UK?), for obvious reasons.

I don't want to turn this into a GW whinge (I really do like many of the models), but a final example. The Astartes Ultra deal for a full SM chapter on the GW site is $17,500 (around 2,200 pounds more than the UK site), but in the US it's $9,500US, but the US and AU dollar are close to parity. If you were to book a return flight to LA from Australia, have a week's holiday in Los Angeles, buy the Ultra pack and take it back to Australia it would still be cheaper than buying it in Aus.

Its worth noting that this is quite common among Australian distributors in plenty of other markets. We (a UK company) recently supplied an Australian retailer with the same product as another Australian based distributor (unintentionally) but at a muc lower price. Both of us shipped the goods direct from China so there was no room for any major cost variances yet the Australian distributors margin expectations were considerably higher. I believe that applies to a lot of distributors based in Australia.

I know quite a few people who prefer the single pose units, but I'm with you and would like some more variety. All in all though I quite like the look of the new dwarfs and will probably pick up a box of each set, should give me a nice mix of stuff to use as a new skirmish warband or something.

The worst thing GW have ever produced has got to be the 6th edition 40k rulebook.

Tau and Space Marines 'Battle Brothers'. What the fuck is this shit?

I'd largely lost interest since I stopped working at a Games Workshop stockist but I thought I'd take a look at what's new when the new Tyranid codex came out. What a fucking disaster. What went wrong other than Andy Chambers leaving?

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted or not yet - but earlier this month Fantasy Flight accidentally announced a 40k LCG - "Conquest". It's all been taken back down now as it was all far to early to be seen, but this could potentially be fantastic. It's not like Fantasy Flight push out too many shit games and I love the 40k universe, as do most people it seems.

FSDmdXB.png

It looks basically exactly like the artwork. Bear in mind this isn't "Horus, Arch Traitor", it's "Horus, Greatest Hero of the Imperium", from the very start of the story. There are bound to be at least a couple more variants as they progress through the timeline, culminating in the Horus/Emperor face-off from the Adrian Smith painting.

I'm a sucker for anything Horus Heresy at the best of times, and I think they've absolutely nailed Horus in this.

Stunning figure - want to buy it, but - like a whole load of other HH stuff I seem to have stockpiled - it probably wouldn't get painted for years!

The face is incredible on him.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've mentioned that I started a painting business. Been going a few months now selling stuff on ebay and am now starting to get commissions. Not yet earning much but I get to spend my time painting stuff like this rather than looking at spreadsheets.

Hunter+orcs+2.jpgHunter+orcs+1.jpg