IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Good on you, Cocky! Taking a chance at doing what you love for a living is the best thing any of us could do. I hope it works out for you, you certainly have the talent.

Thanks.

This doesn't leave me with much time for my own projects though. This Arwen model I've made a start in is only the second I've done for myself this year:

13917809124_a2c56a236e_z.jpg

Finger's crossed for your endeavours Cocky!

Something I've been toying with for a little while now - currently my commission stuff helps pay the bills, but need my usual job as well! End of 2015 and it may well be a different story with the mini business and the painting I do for other mini companies....all I'll say is don't say 'yes' to too much at the same time! You'l start hating it!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed. Might be an option to mark them up a fair bit more than you might normally but do a but now or best offer thing? It's worked very well for some of my stuff in the past. Good way of getting a good angle on what prices your stuff does goes for too!

That's a good idea. I have been pricing a little lower than I would like to build my feedback score. Doesn't help that ebay won't let me list on the UK site where there's a larger market for lotr. I'm going to start doing more 40k and maybe warmachine but being on of the few lotr dedicated painters around here is helping with the commissions.

I'm going to wait on posting on the likes of dakka until I'm more established and experienced with handling multiple commissions. There's always the risk of being overwhelmed and gaining a bad reputation.

I picked up 2 x Dark Vengeance Chaos armies and 2 x Hellbrute dreadnoughts from ebay for a really sweet price. After chatting to my buddy I couldn't resist.

I used to mess about with them as a kid, but I really want to put some effort in to painting these. If anyone has ANY tips, or can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. (How to build, tools, good supplies, painting guides - any good resources!)

Also - I haven't seen the whole thread yet, but JoeK and Cocky's efforts are f*cking unbelievable from what I've seen. Incredible, guys!

I picked up 2 x Dark Vengeance Chaos armies and 2 x Hellbrute dreadnoughts from ebay for a really sweet price. After chatting to my buddy I couldn't resist.

I used to mess about with them as a kid, but I really want to put some effort in to painting these. If anyone has ANY tips, or can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. (How to build, tools, good supplies, painting guides - any good resources!)

Also - I haven't seen the whole thread yet, but JoeK and Cocky's efforts are f*cking unbelievable from what I've seen. Incredible, guys!

Some quick thoughts on this:

To start off concentrate on the basics and aim to paint all areas with a smooth neat basecoat. The likes of shading and highlighting came come later as you develop your technique.

Experiment with water/paint ratios to find something that suits you. I typically use no more than 2:1 water to paint to cover over a grey primer in two layers. Any further dilution and the paint becomes difficult to control for larger areas. A good exercise is to paint an opaque square onto a piece of white paper with different dilutions.

Get yourself some good brushes and look after them. Rosemary and co series 33 are in my opinion the best for the price. I use a size 2 for most work switching to 0 and 2/0 for the details.

Experiment with different brush strokes. For basecoating I use a slight sweeping motion moving the paint around the model rather than precise strokes. When painting multiple layers I do a cross hatch by holding the brush at a different angle for each pass. The side of the tip can be used to pick out details and edges. Again you can practice on a piece of paper painting thin lines and such.

Once you've got the basics set yourself goals of things you want to achieve. For every model I paint I like to picka particular feature or technique that I want to improve upon such as faces, metals or colours like white or black. It's also a lot easier to get feedback when you post photos and say this is what you tried to do rather than asking for general c&c.

GW shades can be a big help in getting quick results and painting armies but if you want to improve don't rely on them to do all the work for you. Instead of painting all over an area try using the side of the tip to push the wash into the recess. You can get nice transitions with not much effort this way.

Read up on colour theory. A basic knowledge is worth a great deal and can help give your models a much more coherent appearance.

There are also loads of painting resources out on the internet. Some places you can start are:

Joek's tutorial on painting dark angels

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/265426-joeks-fast-and-furious-dark-angel-paint-up-thingy-complete/

Beastsofwar have loads of painting videos on their youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL054807AF24EFBA17

AG productions is a good resource for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo5jbLXD6YxasnmoEab5H2w

And for inspiration there's massive voodoo. Jarhead is my favourite painter around and even though I can only dream of being that good seeing what can be achieved is very motivational.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/

When I move into our new place I'm finally going to have a Garage/man cave/wank shed and so want to get back into painting.

The wife and I are are in the planning stages of building our house, and one stipulation is me having a study in the attic. It needs to have room for me to set up an 8x4 table in the middle and have plenty of shelf space.

I came across a brilliant youtube channel by the user 'GirlPainting' - I've learnt how to make some incredible bases, chunks of road from a destroyed city, etc.

I like how everyone has a slightly different take on stages of painting/washing. I'm going to games workshop today to grab some glue and a few colours. I imagine blood red, golden yellow, ultra marine blue. Also black, white, silver and some sort of bronze (maybe)

Yay ^_^

I've watched her channel a few times. I'd also recommend one called AwesomePaintJob by Lester Bursley, really educational. Three Colours Up from the Beasts of War channel is also useful.

However, if you're buying paints in one go I'd recommend looking at Vallejo over GW. Vallejo paints are awesome, they really are. Quality wise about the same as GW, but their range is much, much wider, their prices are cheaper, you get more in a single bottle than GW and they come in dropper bottles, which are easier to use and help prevent your paint from dryng out.

Here's a paint charte which shows which paint range shade corresponds to those of another: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Spot on Mikes. I was in the same position a few months back and went with Vallejo but with some GW stuff, such as the technical range, to do specific things. The Vallejo is so much easier to work with owing to the bottle design and you end up with much less wastage as you can squeeze out tiny amounts.

Spot on Mikes. I was in the same position a few months back and went with Vallejo but with some GW stuff, such as the technical range, to do specific things. The Vallejo is so much easier to work with owing to the bottle design and you end up with much less wastage as you can squeeze out tiny amounts.

Totally. GW's technical range is awesome, and Blood for the Blood God is the most blood like paint I've ever come across. In fact I was using some last week and dropp a little on my white sock. The missus had a shock when she found it in the washing basket, thinking I'd stepped on a nail.

Regarding 'pinning' or 'drilling and pinning' ; Do I need to worry about this? I don't think I'm building anything which is top heavy. There are no metal parts either.

Nope. Super glue or polystyrene cement (I've only ever used superglue, and the cheap kind, with no problems.... other than gluing my fingers together every so often, but that's a me problem not a glue problem) does the job for plastics. It's only when you're getting to heavy metal minis where it might be a good idea to pin pars together.

All paint ranges have strengths and weaknesses so I find its a case of picking what I need from each.

P3 are my go to paints, Vallejo when I need specific references, warpaints for metallics and gw for washes. I don't use a lot of mediums but for the occasional special effect I use liquitex products.

• 1 month later...

I've been painting a bunch of 40k stuff this week. It was a painful process involving lots of paint stripping as I worked through several different approaches. In the end I put aside all thoughts of efficiency and painted these two models in a way I found most enjoyable.

Space+captains.jpg.