Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First up; if you're coming back into the hobby after 17 years I'd recommend you do some research before going straight for GW stuff. There are a hell of a lot more, and better in many cases, minis and games out there now, and generally cheaper too.

I'm just coming up with a few alternatives.

For mass fantasy games, Kings of War by Mantic Games is a much better rules system than WHFB. For 28mm sci fi there are more than I know of. Infinity is a top skrimish game and getting very popular.

Other games: Warmachine/Hordes by Privateer press is a skirmish to small battle steampunk fantasy game based around massive robots and war beasts.

Malifaux is a skirmish horror steampunk game with a very interest play mechanic using cards rather than dice, and like Infinity is getting more popular.

Bolt Action is a WW2 game whihc looks like a lot of fun.

Saga is a dark ages skirmish game featuring Danes, Vikings, Saxons and the like.

DUST is a 'weird war' WW2 game, where combat walkers and gorilla infantry feature (written by Andy Chambers).

There really is a tonne of choice.

If you head over to the Beasts of War youtube page and just look through some of the video features on various games you'll get an idea of what's on offer these days.

So I am ready to fall off the wagon after 17 years, what's the best starter bundle out there atm?

Playing or painting, or both? Fantasy, 40k, or LoTR?

I've been playing Warhammer Fantasy or about a year, and 40k for about a month. We started with the Island of Blood set for Fantasy. It's not amazingly cheap (£60ish) but the models are quite good (the Skaven Rat Ogres are much better than the ones in the standalone set, imo) and you do get everything you need to play in the box. The wife and I play and we didn't know very much about anything when we started, so it was a decent enough starter. We've since bought another IoB set for the models (Skaven needs way more rats...) and the extra rulebook comes in handy. The army rules for the models in the box are in a pdf on GW's site, somewhere (here, actually).

If you just want one of the armies, the other half of the models go quite readily on eBay. Or PM me, I'd take whichever ones you don't want off your hands :-)

For 40k, we eschewed the starter sets, and went for codexes and battalion boxes for the armies we liked (Eldar and Tau). Having said that, if you're after Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines, the Dark Vengeance set looks quite good - the Terminators and the bike squadron are nice models, in particular (again, imo)

There was a healthy dose of nostalgia that lead us into GW (I used to play the epic-sized stuff as a teenager), but our local shop has been really good with gaming and painting sessions, and quite amazingly we don't feel particularly out of place in there, despite being well into our 30s...

the range of paints has also gotten wider. The bog brands being Citdal, Vallejo, P3 and Reaper (any I forgot?)

I haven't used Reaper, but from the rest they';re all a good choice, and there are some shades and tones which one company does better than another, but if you pick one to stick with you won't be missing much.

Personally I'd recommend Vallejo. FIrst off, between the Game Color and Model Color ranges they have the biggest shade range available (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Their paints are excellent, they come in dropper bottles rather than flip top tubs which are easier to use and are less prone to drying (not a major problem, but a nice plus), and they're also cheaper than Ciadel. Citadel make lovely paints, but they charge more per tub and they come in smaller amounts (13ml to 18 for Valljo I believe).

I've just picked up my first P3 paints for some chades I couldn't get in the Vallejo range and I'm impressed. nice coverage, great value, but they come in tubs and I really like dropper bottles.

For brushes I'd recommend the series 33 from http://www.rosemaryandco.com/ unless you live in America in which case choose the series 99.

For paints I use all of the four main ranges, P3, citadel, vallejo and warpaints and I find they all have strengths and weaknesses. What will be most suitable to you will depend on what you're painting and you style. If I had to pick one to start with I'd go with warpaints from Army painter. They are cheap, come in dropper bottles, and they have, imo, the best metalics and washes around. The colour range is quite balanced and they also have matching spray paints that can be useful for basecoating space marines.

My local GW store's done a fantastic job of indoctrinating me into the Citadel paint range, but I'm growing increasingly dubious about the need for quite so many shades of blue... They have the bonus that they're available in the place we go to play the games every week, that's all.

But of a noob question, but do all those paint ranges play nicely together? No problems using base coats and washes from different ranges, for example?

But of a noob question, but do all those paint ranges play nicely together? No problems using base coats and washes from different ranges, for example?

Yep, they all fine. They're all acrylic. You'll find as you progress that you'll try out other lines and may develop preferences in various shades from different ranges.

It might be an idea to check out a few painting tutorial channels on YouTube, just to get an idea of how each range looks on a model, and you'll find a lot of them don't stay true to any single brand.

Thinking about it, of all the channels I watch only two people stick to a single brand, and in one case I'm pretty certain he's sponsored by them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just put some basing stuff up for sale here, http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/240403-the-miniatures-appreciation-thread/?p=10197169

But I'm also looking to off load some GW stuff I bought when I probably didn't need it. I've got:

Cadian Command Squad - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Cadian-Command-Squad

Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Eldar-Kabalite-Warriors?_requestid=8929457

All boxed and on sprues. £10 each, delivered, if anyone's interested.

As a dwarf player, I'm watching with envy as every other army is getting some seriously cool models and new rulesa with all of this end times carry on. Really hope that something good will happen and not that Dwarfs, Brettonians and Empire will belumped together.

Will be picking up a Necron battleforce pack at the end of the month so at least I'll have 40k. :D