rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Theres about thirty plus in my local.

Looking forward to painting these eventually.

Love the way the plastic is copper already on those sigmar warrior paladin thingys

• Upvote 1

@feltmonkey

As a veteran of many death guard and underworlds minis - easy to build stuff is always a bit shit when it comes to gaps. You’re much better off snipping off the pins they use and just gluing them. 

I've got loads of easy to build stuff, including a lot of the Warhammer Underworlds range, and what I tend to do is rather than snipping the pegs off completely, widen the holes with a mould line remover and shave a bit off the pegs.  It's a bit more work, but it makes sure you're getting stuff in the right place.  To be fair, the worst gaps on the miniature I've built so far are covered by the shield.  There are some really inconveniently-placed mould lines though, including one that runs across the top of the head sideways.  It's almost impossible to remove those without damaging the hair and ears.

Still great sculpts, and still amazing for £2.99.

I’ve bought it too. I don’t need it but £2.99?

How could I not?

15 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Managed to grab a Mortal Realms and the newsagents still had these on the shelves, so I yoinked them too.

plague.jpg

you’ve just got the greatest miniature ever made by games workshop - the ‘Sassy Nurgling’ that comes with the champion. Treasure it. 
image.jpeg.767ce017c9debbb27792a21b76004b6c.jpeg

I’m kind of thinking of subscribing for the first 6 issues of the mortal realms to get all the goodies. I’ve never played Sigmar. Is it good?

• Upvote 5

it seems to be popular. Only thing im not too keen on is there is the possibility of the turn order to go IGO,UGO,UGO,IGO and never in a million years will understand why they thought that was a good idea.

7 hours ago, And said:

I’m kind of thinking of subscribing for the first 6 issues of the mortal realms to get all the goodies. I’ve never played Sigmar. Is it good?

If you're talking about the free gifts I think it works per delivery rather than issue (with 4 issues per delivery). So you'd need to get over 20 issues for all the gifts. Not 100% on this but it was something like that with Conquest.

Edit: Anywhere to buy single Warhammer minis? Was having a look on the Mortal Realms page there and I'd like to get e.g. 1 of the Varghast type things or 1 Khorne guy but imagine they only come in sets.

Sorry I meant the stuff in first delivery - glue, new snips, brush etc. You can get first 6 editions delivered for £32 and so get the first set of extras as well. Then cancel. 

3 minutes ago, And said:

Sorry I meant the stuff in first delivery - glue, new snips, brush etc. You can get first 6 editions delivered for £32 and so get the first set of extras as well. Then cancel. 

Ah right yeah, I did something similar with the first few issues of Conquest. In case it helps your decision, I found cancelling with Hachette to be a bit of a nightmare. If you try to phone them you get some weird robot thing that pretends to have a conversation with you but is just a recorded script that endlessly loops and they didn't respond to email for about 3 weeks.

The snips I got were not the same as the ones sold in GW stores but Poundland versions with Citadel branding.

@Kzo Yeah I did the same with conquest. Still it’s a shit load of minis and gear for very little money. Pile of shame ain’t gonna grow itself. 

@Nicky

sounds like a stupid system cant be as bad as 40k and it’s “who goes first wins” system. 

In all likelihood I won’t ever play it. But he models look fun to paint. 

Cant really see myself playing 40k again. Killteam is more fun, less pay to win and doesn’t take all day to play. 

• Upvote 2

Resisted buying this. I'm in the process of moving house and need to limit the stuff I can carry.

Besides if I'm going to get AoS stuff I want some elves or a dragon.

Just got one from the warhammer shop. They’re doing one per customer. He said another bloke came in from smiths earlier as the guy in front just grabbed the lot. This is why we can’t have nice things. 

Well, there was probably around 100 of the things at my local Smiths, so I bought three lots. Will make for some great test practise, and possibly do some up to sell at a later date.

Admittedly, I said exactly the same thing when I bought both the 40k and AoS big boxsets and never touched them, but I'm sure at least one of the figures might get a brush mark on it ;) 

• Empathy 1

Was in Warhammer shop getting some paint there and they had issue 2 of Mortal Realms if anyone doesn't want to wait.

A friend of mine bought 19 copies of the first issue. 

He's not planning on ebaying them. 

The maximum in a unit is 40. I don't think they have the rule of three in AOS though, so you can have a bunch of units. 

Whether you can paint 190 of them without losing your mind is another matter. 

Or 210 actually, because he already had 20 of them... 

Also, all your turns would take three hours to do. 

• Upvote 1

Can somebody who understands Age of Sigmar tell me the best way to go here.

I have the Verminlord Corruptor and the Skaven Start Playing box. To build a relatively competitive list which of the myriad of options should I pick when building the models? And is there anything else I'd need?

Basically I need to build the Plague Monks, the siege engines, and the Corrupter itself, and I have option blindness...

@cavalcade

have you got somebody to play with? Or will you be playing randoms at your local shop?

Ill admit I know little about Sigmar or skaven but I did go through similar recently with 40k. 

My experience was that I bought the big starter box and started building an army around the death guard guys in that box, adding other units to make a nice ‘balanced’ army only to find that none of those units were “competitive” and we’re just a bit rubbish. 

Then I went online and found out that actual competition DG armies had about 3 DG units in then and the rest were demons and knights.
Loads of cool looking units just aren’t any good in actual play. Including most of the characters/HQ’s/elites. 

So after a few games of getting destroyed by my mates net-decked space marine reroll fest and then buying more units to try and find something that works against that I ended up with a version of the ‘competitive’ army type which was basically 1 infantry unit then demon princes and tanky units with flamers that ruthlessly ruined my mate and we never played again. 

I did finally get to use mortarion in a game though and get him into combat which was great as he basically did his one punch man act on a land raider. 

By this point I’d amassed Over 100 models or 4000 points worth where only around 1500 points worth were useable and the rest was nicely painted chaff. 

So you can either build an efficient math-hammer Army or something cool and fluffy but I think it’s hard to do both. 

This is a good blog on the subject, it’s already been posted here but worth posting again. https://therewillbe.games/blogs-by-members/6466-the-howard-street-batrep

Which is why I had to sell it as a job lot as if I tried selling piecemeal no bugger would have bought the guys that don’t see play. 
So I’d look on 1d4chan and have a read about that faction and see what the consensus is on good units before spending any money. 

I’ve still got enough DG left to field 800 points and 500 points of armigers if we want to play again. Or 2000 points if partially painted space marines I’m working on off and on. I can maybe make something competitive from them, but I’d still rather have cool tanks. 

TL;DR read up and build your army in BattleScribe before you buy any more models. 

Have you got the battletome, Cav? 

I'm not really one to give advice on what is or isn't competitive to be honest. I have no idea how to play competitively. 

Are you genuinely planning to play competitively, or do you just want to play for fun and not get your face melted off in the process? Do you need advice on basic list-building - battalions, battleline, allies, etc? I might be able to help with that a bit. 

Great choice of army by the way. Skaven are a really cool, iconic army. They are apparently pretty strong as well. I think they have one Endless Spell that is very powerful. The drawback is that you do have to paint a LOT of models, I believe. 

Just to follow that up, it's worth considering that Skaven have a couple of powerful rules that kick in when you run larger units. Overwhelming Mass gives you +1 to melee attack rolls if you have 20 or more models in the unit, and +1 to melee wound rolls if you have 30 or more. There's also Strength In Numbers, which gives you plus 2 to bravery instead of 1 per 10 models in the unit. 

The upshot is that there's an incentive to running units of 40 clan rats or Stormvermin as your battleline. You also get a "horde discount" for doing this. So for example, a unit of 20 clanrats is 120 points but a unit of 40 is 200.

There's a confusing thing about how you build a Skaven army involving which clan you pick and what that unlocks and locks as battleline, but I'm far from on top of that. 

By the way, the mega powerful Endless Spell is a Warp Lightning Vortex, which traps armies in place and does damage to them. 

Cheers!

My two eldest kids were looking to get into Age of Sigmar. I can't say I was all that impressed in Games Workshop when we went for a demo (I was like "bro, XWing happened, this is archaic") but you can't argue with the quality of the models. So my kids got the big starter and are each trying to paint the ghosts and musclemen armies. I said I'd try to paint up an army to play in the local shop here, when they're over (an indie, with a weekly 40k/Sigmar evening and a weekly painting evening). 

As I used to run the XWing club I know how dispiriting it is for newer players to turn up with an army and then find it utterly wrecked by a netlisting alpha player. So I wanted to at least build something that wasn't embarrassingly bad (I'm not bothered about winning, I just don't want to be crushed). I used to play Skaven years ago, and like them on Total War so figured they might be a decent choice. So far, from what I've read I think I can fashion the Verminlord and Starter Box (plus another box of monks) into some sort of swarming, rerolling machine, which sounds good (and keeps it all Pestilens). 

I have slowly started painting - to tabletop quality, about 14 levels below feltmonkey quality - and at least they aren't that hard to paint. I've also tried the new contrast paints which seem.... not to be that much of a revelation.

I think I am starting to agree with you and realise I might need the Battletome :(  Thanks for the help! And feltmonkey don't you dare post any photos of Skaven you've painted. I'm only just holding on to my sanity here. 

• Upvote 3

I haven't painted any.  :(

I mean, I own some of course.  Of course I do.  I just haven't painted them.

• Upvote 1