Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

22 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Dembski-Bowden is brilliant at that - giving the chaos guys humanity and believable motivation.  I'm listening to the audiobook of Betrayer now, and he makes Argel Tal, a character who shares his soul with a demon and is hideously mutated by chaos, into someone who is conflicted, noble, and in a strange way principled.  He even makes Angron into an understandable character.  ADB realises more than any of the other Black Library authors that the Imperium are not the heroes, they are emphatically not the good guys.  The corruption of the chaos side is just more visible.

One fo the things he said in an interview I read (or maybe listened to), was that the most important things he was ever told when starting out was that the 40k universe is one where *everyone* is wrong. Not evil, necessarily, but wrong.

I've only read his Horus Heresy novels and they're fantastic as said above. Argel Tal is a fantastically-written character, as is his take on Kharn and Angron. Master of Mankind was an interesting look at the Emperor, and I'm looking forward hugely to his contribution to Siege of Terra.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, And said:

I’m contemplating a knight. Is it best to get the Canis Rex set then Magnetise the arms to take every weapon Option?
Has anyone here done it? Is it easy to do, do the different weapons sit nicely or is it a pain in the arse?
so far I’ve only magnetised the main gun on a turret and the warcry scenery which was straightforward enough but still had me putting one in the wrong way around. 

It's odd, i don't know why anyone wouldn't just buy the Canis Rex box, it's no more expensive than the other Knights (except Castellan cos that's a different class) and you get extra sprues to make the Canis Rex model.

I have just about finished a Knight that I've converted into a Chaos version and used the Canis Rex box set. The Chaos versions of the Imperial Knights (Despoilers) can mix and match the weapons so I've magnetised them. It's the second Knight i've magnetised (I did the new Chaos Knight) and it's "easy" enough, you just have to get your head around which parts need magnetising and also get the magnets the right way around. Although they match correctly on this model I've got them the opposite way around on my Desecrator despite my best attempts. :P 

The Thermal Cannon and Battle Cannon share the same body, if you were to glue you'd have to decide which weapon to make so you have to magnetise the front section. I've also not bothered with the stub gun/melta holder, this seemed a little fiddly at the time and the missile pod that goes on the top comes with 2 faces which represent the 2 different missile choices. again i didn't magnetise this. I don't think it would be a major issue in games (although i don't play competitive).

I'll take some pictures later cos it'll be easier to show.

• Upvote 2

Ok, sorry for the poorly lit pictures, i'll take better ones once i've finished it:

IMG_20200504_160959.jpg.3ab5f8405cc15f0f4b31d3f3c4e5fb5e.jpg

The Knight with the loadout i'll try first: Gating Gun and Battle Cannon with Iron Storm Missile Pod (I've just realised I've placed it on backwards for the pic :P )

IMG_20200504_161132.jpg.b7c5b4ed2ca4b38394859d022f659cbf.jpg

The Thermal Cannon and Battle Cannon share the same body but have different fronts which i've magnetised. The Gatling gun is it's own weapon and just need magnetising to fit the upper arm.

IMG_20200504_161156.thumb.jpg.3d7852fed5d62ab97e88b4a4e7b72eb3.jpg

The upper arm which has had a bit snipped off and the magnet inserted.

IMG_20200504_161341.jpg.fb30eeff9e2f967e89753b12d99d83fa.jpg

The other weapons, chainsword and fist not yet painted and the Icarus cannon on the right is half finished. I've magnetised the bottom of the missile pod as I may choose not to take one in a game. On the Desecrator i created a little standard to go on it and may do something similar here.

IMG_20200504_161439.jpg.cb002d7e9296a2ac4c6186a00437863d.jpg

This is the extra sprue you get in the Canis Rex to make the Canis Rex Knight, if the knight is destroyed you get to place a character in it's place as the pilot has jumped out. The missing bit on the sprue is actually an interior for the pilot to sit of you want to model the canopy open, i used it to seat the tentacles coming out of the door on my version.

The carapace and other bits i used was from Hexy Games, which does a line of replacement parts to customise your Chaos Knights. There's a few other places that also do this (Imperial ones as well) but they start to get into silly money.

• Upvote 8

The only thing I would say is the arms can seem a little wobbly at times, the way I've done it. I don't know if there's a better way to magnetise the arms but you'd probably have to start buying spare arm bits and it could start getting expensive and time consuming.

It would also be good if you had some kind of electric hobby drill. I had to hollow out the arm bits and it would have been hard for me to do without an electric drill.

I did them all on this commission. It's a pain in the arse. Just becuase the amount of work is staggering. It never ends. with a bit of greenstuff or milliput and a bunch of magnets you can pretty much do everything with the realistic exception of one of the cable bundles on the battle canon arm. But it's a minor thing.

• Upvote 5

infact the meltacannon / las impulsor shield plate shows you how i got around the moutable front elements. a little plasticard square

Oh and sorry for all the post spam, but i just glued my 10x1 magnets flush on the arms. you never notice it, they're never wobbly, and all you need to do, is cut off the nubs on the shoulders, flie it smooth, glue a 10x1 margnet on, then sand the other side flat on the lower arm, and glue the other magnet on there.  none of the faffing around hollowing stuff and making magnet plugs etc. you literally don't notice when weatehred and painted. Here's mine at 1000x zoom

623868993_Annotation2020-05-05135226.thumb.png.2c90f48e0e15cc1634664bc8da02ca55.png

• Upvote 2

Oooh, that's a good idea @Nicky the 1x10mm magnets that is. Might nick that idea. 

Love the colour of the heat burn on that melta lance thingy too 

It's moot at the moment as I can't find it in stock at any of my usual online retailers apart from gw itself, where its loads more to buy. 

@erhgiez Also i stream 3 nights a week, Fri, Sat, Sun from 8pm UK time. I use a mixed media approach, so acrylics, enamels, oils and pigments. i do a lot of vehicles and a few big monsters. happy to take questions on stream. http://twitch.tv/soulwaystudios

This week it's Fri - 1:24 scale Austin Mini Weathering. 

Sat: 40k Chaos Imperial Knight.

and Sunday Bloodbowl Lizardmen/Tyranid Swarmlord depending on how i feel!

• Upvote 1

The first of the Catachan Colonels that was sent to the independent store i play at, was "raffled" off. It was £1 a "ticket" and £700 raised for NHS charities.

I didn't win the model but he does have 3 more so we'll see what happens.

• Upvote 2

And So I managed to find a canis Rex on eBay so that’s the next big project. Ordered a bunch of magnets and green stuff too. 
though annoyingly my eBay bargain codex order has been cancelled 

So I’ve decided on a chapter identity. The Bennys. 

WIP:

97C42D8F-DE41-4AD3-9AB2-867A7730CAE7.jpeg

also @Nicky In your photo - what’s the benefit of having the torso magnetised to the legs rather than just glued? Ta

• Upvote 6

i dont magnetise the waist. i just glue. That photo is just showing the separate parts. But a lot of people magnetise the waist on a knight so they can transport them easier.

Yeah, the only reason i magnetised the waist is so i can transport the Knights in smaller boxes.

The box i have, is just one from B&Q with a magnetic sheet stuck in the bottom and magnets under the base of the Knight. It isn't as stuck as i'd hoped but it does stop them from sliding around in the box.

On 07/05/2020 at 18:05, martingee said:

The first of the Catachan Colonels that was sent to the independent store i play at, was "raffled" off. It was £1 a "ticket" and £700 raised for NHS charities.

I didn't win the model but he does have 3 more so we'll see what happens.

Unsurprisingly there’s lots on eBay going for ridiculous money. 

Just on the Gaunt's Ghost theme - Reading Anarch (book 15) there are some interesting themes. It's not really spoiler territory but I'll bung it in tags

A ghost discussing with a Sons of Sek officer why they are fighting, what Chaos is and why they are so hell bent on each others destruction