Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

On 12/05/2020 at 17:21, Kzo said:

That is class. The missiles on the top look like eyeballs in the first pic which I thought was cool.

On 13/05/2020 at 00:03, Mikes said:

Yes, eyeballs, that was my first thought too, ahem.

They look like zits to me. Which would fit the theme.

On 11/05/2020 at 21:25, idiwa said:

Just on the Gaunt's Ghost theme - Reading Anarch (book 15) there are some interesting themes. It's not really spoiler territory but I'll bung it in tags

Reveal hidden contents

A ghost discussing with a Sons of Sek officer why they are fighting, what Chaos is and why they are so hell bent on each others destruction

I need to go back and re-read a load of the Gaunt's Ghosts books. I skim read* a lot of them, so somewhat lost track of what was going on. I just need to work out how far into the series I read properly.

Reading Talon of Horus at the mo, which is exploring similar themes. It's a brilliant book as well. Lords of Silence was good for that as well. There seems to have been a shift away from the traitor legions just being inhuman bad guys who are just mad for the chaos worship and death and destruction, and giving them more human characters and motivations.

* it was actually because I needed reading glasses and was struggling to read anything, which made it a bit of a chore.

It's...fine. I got a copy from Crime Generator for 4 quid a while ago and it's serviceable. People into 40k are more likely to get something out of it than I did and like you say it's free with gold.

Sat down for a couple of hours and started this chump. Scale 75 colours take way too long to cover. 

IMG_20200517_165109.thumb.jpg.3ad418e2e5450df8d2ba51dfda7f7019.jpg

This below was the previous one. I don't know what to do to finish him. I was just gonna wash him but I'm not sure.

EQVz1VgXsAI801x.jpeg.2374c66bbca6889b25df6b91b3967337.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Behold. 

One knight

3 left arm options 

3 right arm options 

3 shoulder guns

3 carapace options 

All basecoated and nuln oiled ready for painting. Chassis dry brushed. 

Loads of armour plates to paint and stick on. 

11235D6A-93BA-42D6-8DFC-B685A7CE8079.jpeg

• Upvote 8

Exciting stuff! 

I like the sound of the app, and it's about time the digital versions of the codex came with the physical ones. 

I would guess there's going to be a big box to go with the release, and it looks like it will be Necrons vs Ultramarines.  

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Exciting stuff! 

I like the sound of the app, and it's about time the digital versions of the codex came with the physical ones. 

I would guess there's going to be a big box to go with the release, and it looks like it will be Necrons vs Ultramarines.  

Please not more Ultraboreines. Do you see what I did there. 

26 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

You can paint space marines any colour you want though

not that you can say anyway but I’m betting this edition is much more like killteam to avoid the whole turn 1 get shot off the table issue

3 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

You can paint space marines any colour you want though

True, he should have referred to them as Space Borines to be more accurate ;)

3 hours ago, Mikes said:

It's only been three years. That's ridiculous. 

Indeed - my still boxed 40k set is now laughing at me. 

No doubt I'll still buy the new box set...they're stupidly good value for money really.

Well, they would be if I actually painted anything from them!

• Upvote 1

The fact they’re keeping all the codexes is good though. I prefer the game with fewer rules and not having to keep track of rules plus chapter approved plus faq plus psychic awakening etc etc Is a bonus for me

4 hours ago, Mikes said:

It's only been three years. That's ridiculous. 

It will be a similar change to Age of Sigmar to Age of Sigmar 2.0 - essentially the same game, only with the FAQs that gave come since  baked in to the core rules, and a few tweaks here and there. There won't be any radical changes, just a slight refinement, an exercise in tidying up. It's absolutely the best way of doing things, in my opinion. 

40k (and to a lesser extent AOS) are different beasts to every other tabletop game out there, because of their popularity, the sheer number of armies and units, and the relentless release schedule adding more and more all the time. There are so many combinations that players can take advantage of that GW keeps having to play wackamole by releasing FAQs to stop the overpowered lists from ruining the game. As a result, even though it's only been a few years, there has been so many adjustments it's actually quite difficult to get a handle on exactly what the rules are now. 

Personally, I think the only sensible way forward is to move to an online living rule book, and the same for all the codexes. So you have the rules as an app, and when there's a change, the app notifies you and updates. This could be what they are moving to with the new app, I expect. Even this has problems - who wants to be setting off for a game and find that the rules you've learnt have changed? You don't want to buy multiples of a unit and find it suddenly becomes less powerful. But that's already what's having to happen, it's just that now there will be less paper involved. Anyway, what were you doing buying multiple units just because they were powerful? 

The playerbase creates the need for these updates because a significant proportion of them are focused more on winning than enjoying the game with their opponent. With so many available combinations, it's inevitable that someone will find the broken combination. Then the next tournament is full of that list, and another FAQ becomes necessary. This is a better way for GW to handle their game than the previous policy of leaving the broken stuff broken and saying that Warhammer is not a tournament game. It's always a bit of a shame having to balance for the win at all costs tournament players, but GW have realised that this competitive mentality is shared by a lot of the player base. I'd prefer it if everyone wanted to play to enjoy the spectacle and the narratives that develop on the table, but then that's just me wanting everyone to share my opinions, and that's the sort of thing an arsehole does. Besides, even as I'm enjoying the spectacle and narrative I'm hoping my dice roll sixes, and that the strategies I've planned work out, so I'm a hypocrite. :lol:

It sounds like the cost to buy-in to the new edition will be exactly £0 anyway. Download the app and you have the rules. You can still use your 8th ed codexes. If the app is the same as the AOS one, you'll even get all the rules for each individual unit in that. You just won't get the army-wide rules, strategems, etc. There's going to be another big box, and if it's anything like as generous as the last new edition one, that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to it. 

There's some leaked pictures of the possible box set which, amongst others, can be found here.

Edit: most officially posted on the Warhammer Community site now.

Will be the first time I've played across editions. Not overly fussed about a Necron Vs Primaris Marine box, although they look nice models. I'm still waiting for the next 2 (of 3) psychic awakening books to drop as they have stuff for my factions.

Also just read The Proginator and Clonelord which are Fabius Bile books and really like the character, so will get the model when it finally gets released.

GW isn't really my thing, but I saw this thread was at the top on the homepage and it reminded me of a random thought from a couple of months ago. I was walking home from Tesco and I passed the Warhammer shop that's on my route, and it suddenly struck me. I'd walked past loads of shops - mainly selling really dull stuff like beauty products and household goods. There were loads of charity shops and obviously loads of coffee shops. All of them had dull names like Savers and Robert Dyas, and Wilkinson. And then there was WARHAMMER! A shop that sells orcs, giant mechs and dragons - and that made me simultaneously happy (because I'd recently read an article that it was one of the financial success stories from last year), and also sad, because there's not enough of this sort of thing these days. There were loads more niche shops when I was a kid (we had a Smurf shop when I lived in Paignton back in the day, FFS). Mostly happy though, because it's doing a good thing well.

I did use to like painting miniatures though many moons ago, and some of the photos in here have made my fingers itch... (My skeleton army when I was a teenager wasn't the largest, but it was pretty well done, if I do say so myself...) I am half tempted to look at getting hold of something like this to paint. I did mean to get back into painting pictures, but fail at the first hurdle, because my drawing skills have waned over the years. But miniatures are a really nice starting point... Will see how my finances are at the end of the month...

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, MarkN said:

GW isn't really my thing, but I saw this thread was at the top on the homepage and it reminded me of a random thought from a couple of months ago. I was walking home from Tesco and I passed the Warhammer shop that's on my route, and it suddenly struck me. I'd walked past loads of shops - mainly selling really dull stuff like beauty products and household goods. There were loads of charity shops and obviously loads of coffee shops. All of them had dull names like Savers and Robert Dyas, and Wilkinson. And then there was WARHAMMER! A shop that sells orcs, giant mechs and dragons 

GW is now bigger than Centrica, who own British Gas. I'm sure at least part of that success is having stupidly short lifespans on their game editions.

On 24/05/2020 at 09:46, And said:

The fact they’re keeping all the codexes is good though. I prefer the game with fewer rules and not having to keep track of rules plus chapter approved plus faq plus psychic awakening etc etc Is a bonus for me

I'd like them to go a lot further. I currently have the Chaos Spaces Marines, Chaos knights and Chaos Daemons codices, plus Shadowspear, Vigilus, Faith & Fury, and now, juuuuust announced, Engine War books to (potentially) play with. That's £175 in books and I'd rather like to have a Thousand Sons detachment because they're ace, so £200 before I buy a single model, think about Forgeworld, or worry whether my datasheets are current.

It's obscene. 

Edit: What I currently own is the CSM codex.