Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

@Danno

ok but you could just use battlescribe and build lists in that and get the rules if you wanted before splurging on a codex. 

I think I’ve only played 4 or 5 games of 40k, and I sold my death guard army last year as it was gathering dust. I’ve got enough space marines and knights to field a couple of thousand points worth but it’s a bit of a ramshackle collection of stuff I think looks cool, rather than a competitive list. I’ve been talking to my gaming buddy about a game when this is over, but I expect we’ll play once or twice before he gets fed up and we go back to bloodbowl. 
So I’ll probably buy the 40k book (again) but it’s not worth it for me to buy all the expansions and yearly updates. It’s likely we’ll play using the free rules and the scenarios from 8th that we haven’t done yet. 

If it stays with full turn Ugo Igo Like before then thats also going to affect desire to play. Getting half your models shot off the table before you’ve had a go still sucks

• Upvote 1

Urgh, I don't need it but it's pretty clear I won't be able to say no to a new necrons Vs combat marines megabox. 

At least with getting a another army I don't need is that with necrons I could probably bash them out fairly quickly with leadbelcher spray + nuln oil + necron compound. 

My mate likes the idea of necrons so we might go halves, but I’ve still got 30 odd marines to paint and little enthusiasm for the job. 

44 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

How so?

To be fair Games workshop are in the business of selling books and small spacemen. If they never updated the books and the range of small men then they’d stagnate. 
The legacy support they provide is pretty good though when you look at the sheer number of models you can play with. 

1 hour ago, And said:

To be fair Games workshop are in the business of selling books and small spacemen. If they never updated the books and the range of small men then they’d stagnate. 
The legacy support they provide is pretty good though when you look at the sheer number of models you can play with. 

I was just interested from a personal point of view, it wasn't clear from what Danno said what he wants.

I'd like an online rules repository, on either a subscription or a season pass model. It's not perfect, but neither is potentially hundreds of £s in books (which they update annually in the form of Chapter Approved). It's really messy. See my earlier post about Chaos' faction rules being spread across £200+ of literature. 

For the business aspect, I think there would be enough of a take up for it to work for them financially, and I'm definitely not the only player frustrated at this, so they would generate some goodwill to boot - I'm certainly not arguing that the books should go, just that another, more streamlined option can and could exist alongside them. 

• Upvote 1

Actually that’s a really good idea.  Even to play something simple like kill team I have 3 books and that’s not all the available options. 
which is why we end up list building In battlescribe as it can print out your list, the stats and the rules in one place. 

• Upvote 1

I like Battlescribe, a lot, but I find it clunky to work with for rules. I don't see that getting any better as it's barely avoiding a takedown order as it is Also I could easily spend half a day building my list, before I look at what my buddy might play to get a fix on what kind of nonsense he might bring along. After which I'd like to adjust my own nonsense. 

Plus something where you can quickly type in, or start typing "Plasma Gun" (for the sake of example) or "Butcher Cannon Array" and the weapon profile appears would be neat. 

Thinking about it I’d love it if there was an app I could add all my models and units into that would then let me build armies from that list rather than having to enter them every single time like battlescribe. 

To be honest, I reckon the main reason things like Battlescribe are tolerated is that the model of building lists by adding anything, whether you own it or not, encourages purchases. How many times have you tried building a list from what you have and realised that if you take this unit out and add this one that you don't have yet, it would work much better? 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Oracle said:

We've been playing games via Table Top simulator and its bloody good. We're halfway through a 4 player Chaos v Aeldari game atm.

how fiddly is it to set up and operate? Tried a couple of simple games on there and it was a bit hit and miss. 

How do you set it up? I should be googling this shouldn’t I?

4 hours ago, And said:

how fiddly is it to set up and operate? Tried a couple of simple games on there and it was a bit hit and miss. 

Pretty easy, grab the dlc, sort your armies in saved objects and go.

6 hours ago, And said:

Here's a starting point 

https://www.reddit.com/r/TTSWarhammer40k/comments/e5oa0y/psa_if_youre_new_around_here_please_read_this_post/

I started fiddling about with it today and it's far, far (faaaaaaaar) from intuitive. If you'd be more comfortable learning the ropes with someone else that has no idea what they're doing I'd be glad to team up

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, idiwa said:

@Aluco Is that Epic Scale? Sorry coming from someone who played the original Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine...

This is the new Epic Scale.

The new release of Adeptus Titanicus is really quite good. If you played the original, imagine that but remastered to be and feel how you though it was, rather than how it actually was. The models are excellent, the support in terms of rules and background has been fun. I am glad I got into it. Also, with small model counts I can paint it all without burning out.

It is more complex than you usual Games Workshop fare. Definitely aimed at experienced gamers and modellers. The rules are complex and simulationist. Some of the models are super fiddly and if you are not careful you can make mistakes in assembly that will be unfortunate. The modular scenery is great, providing so many options.

I understand that it has done really well and there is an extensive plan for further support yet. Everything revealed is Horus Heresy focussed so far though. So no xenos, just more titans and knights and weapons and scenarios

Xenos might come in future, they could fit titan and knight scale in there easily. Full on Epic, with teeny tiny soldiers and tanks though, I can't see that happening with the current rules. They would not fit, the game would become impossibly detailed and would collapse under its own weight. It takes a good few hours to play with a handful of units currently. Epic would require a proper ruleset all its own.

1 hour ago, And said:

Yes, I can't remember where I saw it, but GW clarified that it would remain that way. I guess it could be inferred by how firm they were on 9th being an evolution rather than a revolution. 

It’s a bit of a shame. As it’s the biggest problem with the game. But I can see how it could be very difficult to implement a kill team alternating style of play, you’d need a lot of counters!

In Age of Sigmar they roll each turn to see who goes first. I've never played AoS but it seems like the biggest bugbear for most players, a double go can pretty much end a game from what i gather. Although that'll be dependent on the faction i suppose. Not sure it would work in 40k since there's a lot of shooting compared to AoS.

That would be worse! 
In kill team you roll do initiative. That player moves first and you can choose to ready models for shooting. Then the other player moves. 
Then the shooting and fight Phases are alternating model by model. Moving first isn’t always an advantage as the other player can then just move out of the way. It’s loads better. 

2 hours ago, martingee said:

In Age of Sigmar they roll each turn to see who goes first. I've never played AoS but it seems like the biggest bugbear for most players, a double go can pretty much end a game from what i gather. Although that'll be dependent on the faction i suppose. Not sure it would work in 40k since there's a lot of shooting compared to AoS.

Only when players refuse to play around it. People deploy as close to the enemy as they can, charge right at the enemy, don't take account of the enemy movement capabilities and use barely any terrain and then complain that the game is decided on a dice roll