Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

I'll be picking up the box set, my daughter picked necrons for her army 4 weeks back so its a great time for her to get some new models. I picked up the start collecting necrons set for her birthday.

I'll be getting it (obvs). That box looks jam packed, I want the rulesbook so I can read the fluff and never play the game, and the models look neato. I'm conflicted - do I add them to my incomplete Space Wolves army, when they don't look very Space Wolvesy, or start painting a new faction? It makes no difference, because I'll never paint them all, but it's an important decision.

@Pelekophoros

I’m conflicted as I think my mate wants the necrons, I’ve got loads of marines already that many of which are still half painted and I’m frankly sick of painting them. They are so boring and also difficult at the same time. 
so adding even more units to my pile of shame doesn’t seem wise. 
I’d initially painted them space wolf colours figuring I could run as either vanilla or wolves but it’s a drab scheme to paint. 
So the dark imperium boys are currently sprayed fang and nuln oiled, the boys from shadow spear are contrast painted SW grey. 
I’m slowly trudging though and finishing them but have only done like 3 units and 2 characters fully as I just start losing the will to live after yet another hour of grey highlights where it seems I’ve made zero progress. 

I’m still clearly going to end up with the new ones though. The other option is just to buy the whole box and let my son have the necrons as he loves them but is only 8, So is unlikely to be a worthy opponent, but then we can build them together and he can paint them. 

Current pile of shame :

Halfway through my knight 

built but not painted :

ogre bb team

chaos bb team

undead bb team

approx 60 warcry warband minis

(Mix of iron golem, ork, Khorne, nighthaunt, chaotic beasts and stormcast)

half painted :

approx 50 space marines of various types

(2 x 5 intercessors

9 infiltrators

2 eliminators

3 suppressors

7 hellblasters

1 inceptors 

5 reivers

2 captains

2 librarians

3 lieutenants 

2 apothecary)

Elf bb team

In boxes/unbuilt:

start collecting ad mech

tech priest dominus

Couple of issues of mortal realms

so nearly 150 minis I reckon. 

8 minutes ago, And said:

@Pelekophoros

I’m conflicted as I think my mate wants the necrons, I’ve got loads of marines already that many of which are still half painted and I’m frankly sick of painting them. They are so boring and also difficult at the same time. 
so adding even more units to my pile of shame doesn’t seem wise. 
I’m still clearly going to end up with them though. The other option is just to buy the whole box and let my son have the necrons as he loves them but is only 8, So is unlikely to be a worthy opponent, but then we can build them together and he can paint them. 

My lad was around that age when he started slapping paint on minis. Having a pile of stuff around that you don't care about is great for that. 

1 minute ago, And said:

Current pile of shame :

Halfway through my knight 

built but not painted :

ogre bb team

chaos bb team

undead bb team

approx 60 warcry warband minis

half painted :

approx 50 space marines of various types

Elf bb team

In boxes/unbuilt:

start collecting ad mech

tech priest dominus

Couple of issues of mortal realms

so nearly 150 minis I reckon. 

I've focused lockdown efforts on building stuff. All I can say is, staff discounts are both a blessing and a curse.

I'll do a photo of my backlog at some point, just to pass the time.

@Pelekophoros

He’s already started - old minis, super dungeon explore, mortal realms, all good sources of cheap bodies for him to play around with. My daughter too but she’s a bit older and now already a bit too cool to paint with daddy. 

B570EFC6-E8A2-49C8-AAD2-2590BACB39B6.jpeg

33 minutes ago, And said:

Contrast paints are great for beginners. 

any insider info on how much the box is going to be? >£100?

DO NOT TEST MY FAITH, FOUL DEMON. I AM LOYAL TO MY EMPEROR AND YOUR PETTY ATTEMPTS TO SUBVERT SHALL FAIL AT EVERY STEP.

Are Battle Sisters the only faction without a start collecting box?
As they’re the 3rd faction featured on the launch site, Will there be one to accompany launch of 9? 
I’d like to get some for my daughter but don’t want to spend loads on individual sets only for a HQ, troop, vehicle box to come out shortly after. 

GW tend not to put sprues into start collecting kits until they've been out for a year or so (it was ages before the kharadron overlords got a SC box for sigmar). because sisters are (to all intents and purposes) a brand new army with all new kits, then there'll still be a little wait under normal circumstances.

Launching a box alongside the 9th launch would make sense though. I was slightly surprised, given the prominence of the sisters in the trailer, that they weren't in the main box.

46 minutes ago, And said:

Are Battle Sisters the only faction without a start collecting box?
As they’re the 3rd faction featured on the launch site, Will there be one to accompany launch of 9? 
I’d like to get some for my daughter but don’t want to spend loads on individual sets only for a HQ, troop, vehicle box to come out shortly after. 

I was able to get the limited edition box on ebay for about £120, might be more than you are wanting to spend but it's a fun box.

I also was eyeing up the Sacred Rose colour scheme from a few pages back, but bloody hell all that white. Even my Apothecary is light grey!

-OOX4GDGfTzqdnf6toxUlsxjLMkkawpNJoBXc0bN

I think I'm going to have to do it so they match my Space Pope

Space Pope 2.jpg

So I spent a bunch of time last week, while I was on holiday at home, doing paint test stuff for the Nighthaunt section of my pile of shame (which is not small).

So a unit of Chainrasps from the first issue of Mortal realms got done. Sorry about the out of focus guy in front.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200614185604001_COVER.jpg

Having been reasonably pleased with the way the Chainrasps turned out, I set my hand to a hero in the Knight of Shrouds:00000IMG_00000_BURST20200617165042167_COVER.thumb.jpg.09474f7f860a7f01fb761b6f124c5c7e.jpg

Not totally sold on the red which is a borderline colour clash with the blues but pleased with the execution.

30 more Chainrasps from Mortal Realms

The entire contents of the Soul Wars box set:

A Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed
   Lord Executioner
   Guardian of Souls
   Spirit Torment
   4 Grimghast Reapers
   5 Glaivewraith Stalkers
   20 more Chainrasps

4 Myrmourn Banshees

4 more Glaivewraith Stalkers

Liekoron the Executioner

Crawlocke the Jailor and 2 Chainghasts

2 Dreadblade Harrows

and the 7 miniatures that make up The Thorns of the Briar Queen

84 miniatures left.

I really need to deal with my plastic crack habit...

...by painting more.

Crappy squad i paid $10 and am practicing sn economic way to sell them on ebay test run almost complete.

mQF6YbX.jpg

About 9 hours spread across 20 minute chunks worth of time.

They're looking really good.  The problem (and it's one I'm running into myself) is that even if you pay yourself $10 an hour you need to charge $100, and even that is a pretty crappy wage.  If it sells.  I'm trying to work out a way to knock out a sellable Blood Bowl team in a day.  I think it's possible to do, but I'm not sure if there's anyone who's likely to buy it.  I'm going to put the Dwarf team I painted a while ago up to see what I can get for them.

What are the popular games these days?  @Cocky seems to be doing a roaring trade in Marvel miniatures, which I suppose have the dual audience of people who play the games and people who just want a Captain America model.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

They're looking really good.  The problem (and it's one I'm running into myself) is that even if you pay yourself $10 an hour you need to charge $100, and even that is a pretty crappy wage.  If it sells.  I'm trying to work out a way to knock out a sellable Blood Bowl team in a day.  I think it's possible to do, but I'm not sure if there's anyone who's likely to buy it.  I'm going to put the Dwarf team I painted a while ago up to see what I can get for them.

Thankyoukindly. I know what you mean. I'm not taking the steps on a new career here, but I am exploring the possibility of a new source of, while not income, then grocery money. So I approached this a little like a business decision, choosing SMs because they're much easier to paint than, say, Blood Bowl, and sticking to the popular chapters (next is Blood Angels). Also it seems the bottom is falling out of painted regular space marines and the market has moved onto Primaris, which is good in one way as they can sell as much for a group of three to five as a whole squad of ten regular SMs, so the cost is often offset on the number while the amount of time painting is much reduced.

On top of that, I'll be testing out ways that deliver eyecatching effects that require the minimum amount of time in application. So, for example, battle damage adds as much visual impact as edge highlighting but requires much less time to apply, and has the added bonus of hiding some painting mistakes that came before it. Cocky's work has been instructive in adding contract, and while it's not obvious here it's something I'm planning to apply more going on.

I've got a spread sheet where I'm going to be recording how much time I spent on things, how mcuh they sold for and the like.

While these took 9 hours, I think I can get it much lower down with practice and if I can get more dedicated painting time. Having to set up and pack away adds time. And while, as I said I'm not looking at a career move here, I was prompted by the possibility of having reduced hours or a redundancy due to Covid. My wife's work is secure, luckily, and something that does factor in to the maths is if I am made redundant and this is something that will factor into house finances, I don't have to make what I was earning in my day job for it make a real impact. Not having to put my kids in after school  care and child care due to working from home means we'd save an significant weekly cost, so making up the shortfall wouldn't be outside of the realms of imagination.

Anyway, just me thinking out loud and giving my thought process.

I ordered some primaris... uh, I can't remember their names, the ones with the plasma guns. They're a hot ticket item right now and they go in squads of five, so that should be easy enough. I have a couple of easy Blood Angels guides to follow for those.

On 18/06/2020 at 19:47, Aluco said:

So I spent a bunch of time last week, while I was on holiday at home, doing paint test stuff for the Nighthaunt section of my pile of shame (which is not small).

So a unit of Chainrasps from the first issue of Mortal realms got done. Sorry about the out of focus guy in front.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200614185604001_COVER.jpg

Nice one those look great! Have a few of these to paint from the magazine - would love to hear your technique. Never used the Nikalh Oxide stuff (assuming that's what is on those).

On 12/06/2020 at 12:29, Nicky said:

It's nowhere near that picky.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Omophagea

hence "flesh tearers" and not "brain munchers"

Nerd argument brewing! Have read a couple of books recently - the Black Legion ones and the first Fabius Bile book - that have specifically said it's the brain. In fact, I'm only half way through the Fabius Bile book and it's been mentioned twice already. 99% certain that was spelled out in the first Space Marine book from a million years ago.