Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

On 22/06/2020 at 21:45, feltmonkey said:

The Dakkadakka painting challenge for this month was to paint something old-school, so I decided to paint a few old metal Harlequin miniatures.  When I was a kid, I used to marvel at the paint jobs on these miniatures in particular, and it remains a kind of dream of mine to one day have a painted army of Harlequins, all covered in diamond patterns and bright colours.  I don't think I'm good enough to do it yet, but I'm working towards it.  I thought I'd try to recreate some of the paintjobs I drooled at as a kid, could never get anywhere near doing, and half-suspected were actually physically impossible.

I looked through the metal Harlequins I had and looked up some of the old Eavy Metal pages.  I decided to try and replicate these three paint jobs - 

wd107p47harlequinsblistersx2-01b.thumb.jpg.48f568f14c7d38ca9a38aedeee07356e.jpg

These were the results - 

DSC_8963b.thumb.jpg.4f1c82939f214a43a53d8705c877ae50.jpg

DSC_8965b.thumb.jpg.ec6527764c69a39f386b4e9682834f73.jpg

DSC_8969b.thumb.jpg.ca91e54b17c06cebc7cf836c6949172e.jpg

DSC_8976b.thumb.jpg.43b34ebf1d1f47c96c99144d5e378303.jpg

DSC_8977b.thumb.jpg.fa230e717fec73fd118f118ac0aaf543.jpg

The voting thread is here - https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/789328.page#10839321  Loads of Oldhammer goodness.

I love the original Harlequins, these are the very first minis I painted back in ‘94:

D7A482A7-75FB-4286-B1B0-560ADC2A5F55.thumb.jpeg.3c65375bd2445fa0346e22b329e11f83.jpeg

BFAB5EED-D885-4ED0-9DC9-083B5147D332.thumb.jpeg.8b94b6f086fb67e79d58290ff4517b4d.jpeg

Which you can tell by the chipping I painted over bare metal :lol:

• Upvote 6

Jes Goodwin is a legend. His, stuff is still amazing - have you seen the new Adeptus Mechanicus minis? The most recent ones are a collaboration with Darren Latham, so it's two legends for the price of one. 

As I said, I think those Harlequins, and the 2nd edition Blood Bowl range, that awoke in me a lifelong interest in gaming miniatures. It was kind of a personal lifegoal to finally be able to approximate the paint jobs. 

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Kzo said:

Nice one those look great! Have a few of these to paint from the magazine - would love to hear your technique. Never used the Nikalh Oxide stuff (assuming that's what is on those).

I mixed up a couple of pots using empties that I had kept, because I knew I would be reusing this.

A large pot (one that the shade paints come in) was 1:1 mixed with a whole 12m pot of Nihilakh Oxide and a whole 12m pot of Lahmian Medium.

A small 12m pot was mixed with 1:1 Drakenhof Nightshade and Lahmian Medium.

IMG_20200624_093404.jpg.ba112dfac3e692f18dfa41b73410d4de.jpg

I Undercoat with Corax White Spray

All over sloppy coat of the Nihilakh mix, a messy but simple task.

Then I shade the top half of the ghosty bits, up the the cowls, and the insides with the dark mix. This needs to be done carefully because even at 1:1 mix Drakenhof Nighshade is pigment rich and will leave tide marks. So, once applied, I wipe of my brush on a cloth and then draw it across the edges to blend it with the Nihilak mix underneath. While this is drying, I hang them upside down so that if any pooling does occur, it looks like deliberate blending alongside the edges of the cowls or deep inside.

After that, a drybrush with Ulthuhan Grey, more concentrated lower down so the tips appear whiter.

There are 4 variants of Cowl in the photo, the one I think works best is the brown one which is Rhinox Hide base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mornfang brown then Skrag brown highlights.

Others were greys tinted with either green or blue because the one that was just grey looked boring.

Basing is just green flock from the model shop on superglue that was applied straight onto the base, which I had repainted black. The vegetation is moss I pick up on walks in the woods, teased out with tweezers an superglued in place. The  moss soaks up the glue and then it sets quite hard which does a reasonable job of keeping the moss colour and shape. 

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

New 9th edition Combat Patrol skirmish mode looks decent, might actually play it:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/26/join-the-combat-patrolgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-3/

Depends on on how big he point increases are 

I can currently get a Phobos captain, 5 infiltrators , 3 Inceptors and a redemptive dreadnaught for 499 points which would be a fun list for shenanigans. Any serious increases will see that being a lieutenant, and intercessors instead maybe

55 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

I'm pretty sure I could fit an entire Brigade of Guard in for 500. Mostly las weaponry so unlikely that they would achieve anything!

I’d looked at that to complement knights but with the rules changing to seemingly punish you for taking lots of detachments it may not be worth it. From 1d4chan. 

A battalion (5 CP) of 2x Company Commander and 3x Infantry costs 180. You can take a bare bones brigade (12 CP!) for under 600 

The Ultimate Cheapest Brigade: 3 Company Commanders, 6 barebones Scion squads, 3 Commissars, 3 Armoured Sentinels with Multi-lasers, 3 Heavy Weapon Squads with Heavy Bolters. This ridiculous detachment of The Emperor's Finest comes in at 579pts. You even have room to bring a Baneblade in a Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment and still remain under 1000pts!

And it’s a fuck load of guys to buy and paint. 
An equivalent marines battalion would be 2x lieutenant and 3 x scouts which would still be almost 300 points. 
Brigade would be lots!

I’ll have to wait and see how the rules play out But it’s a bit annoying having chosen to buy knights to beef up my marines instead of predators/tanks only to be penalised for it. 
Then compounded by buying enough AdMech to support the knights!

Based on what I have painted I could field this nasty little Guard Army for 500pt:

Spoiler

Guard Combat Patrol 500PT (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [34 PL, 500pts]

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [34 PL, 500pts]

HQ [6 PL, 74pts]

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]

Selections: Bolt pistol [1pts], Power sword [4pts], Relic: Kurov's Aquila, Warlord

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 39pts]

Selections: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power sword [4pts]

Troops [11 PL, 160pts]

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 45pts]

8x Guardsman [32pts]

Selections: 8x Lasgun

Guardsman w/ Vox-caster [9pts]

Selections: Vox-caster [5pts]

Sergeant [4pts]

Selections: Laspistol

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 46pts]

8x Guardsman [32pts]

Guardsman W/ Special Weapon [10pts]

Selections: Flamer [6pts]

Sergeant [4pts]

Militarum Tempestus Scions [5 PL, 69pts]

2x Scion [14pts]

Selections: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Hot-shot Lasgun

Scion w/ Special Weapon [18pts]

Selections: Plasma gun [11pts]

Scion w/ Vox-caster [12pts]

Tempestor [7pts]

Selections: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

Elites [1 PL, 21pts]

Astropath [1 PL, 21pts]

Selections: Nightshroud, Telepathica Stave [6pts]

Fast Attack [6 PL, 101pts]

Hellhound [6 PL, 101pts]

Heavy Support [10 PL, 144pts]

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 144pts]

Selections: Battle Cannon [22pts], Lascannon [15pts]

I guess this morning I'm mainly going to be on Battlescribe making tiny armies.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Based on what I have painted I could field this nasty little Guard Army for 500pt:

Hide contents

Guard Combat Patrol 500PT (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [34 PL, 500pts]

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [34 PL, 500pts]

HQ [6 PL, 74pts]

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]

Selections: Bolt pistol [1pts], Power sword [4pts], Relic: Kurov's Aquila, Warlord

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 39pts]

Selections: Plasma pistol [5pts], Power sword [4pts]

Troops [11 PL, 160pts]

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 45pts]

8x Guardsman [32pts]

Guardsman w/ Vox-caster [9pts]

Sergeant [4pts]

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 46pts]

8x Guardsman [32pts]

Guardsman W/ Special Weapon [10pts]

Selections: Flamer [6pts]

Sergeant [4pts]

Militarum Tempestus Scions [5 PL, 69pts]

2x Scion [14pts]

Selections: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Hot-shot Lasgun

Scion w/ Vox-caster [12pts]

Tempestor [7pts]

Selections: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

Elites [1 PL, 21pts]

Astropath [1 PL, 21pts]

Selections: Nightshroud, Telepathica Stave [6pts]

Fast Attack [6 PL, 101pts]

Hellhound [6 PL, 101pts]

Heavy Support [10 PL, 144pts]

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 144pts]

Selections: Battle Cannon [22pts], Lascannon [15pts]

I guess this morning I'm mainly going to be on Battlescribe making tiny armies.

That’s a lot of army for 500 points! Significantly larger than my 10 model list. 

didn’t realise Leman’s were so cheap, what’s the drawback? 

I think I'm going to restrict my playing around with lists to power rather than points until the new values come out. 

although power is problematic - It’s supposed to equate to about a 1:20 ratio isn’t it? But this 18 model list is 330 points but 28 power, and if I add in an armiger Warglaive (159points - 9 power)  to get to around 500 Points that puts me on 37 power! 

Spoiler

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [28 PL, 336pts]

HQ [10 PL, 110pts]

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 80pts]

Selections: Macrostubber [2pts], Volkite Blaster [8pts]

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 30pts]

Troops [12 PL, 110pts]

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 35pts]

Ranger Alpha [7pts]

Selections: Galvanic Rifle

4x Skitarii Ranger [28pts]

Selections: 4x Galvanic Rifle

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 35pts]

Ranger Alpha [7pts]

Selections: Galvanic Rifle

4x Skitarii Ranger [28pts]

Selections: 4x Galvanic Rifle

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 40pts]

4x Skitarii Vanguard [32pts]

Selections: 4x Radium Carbine

Vanguard Alpha [8pts]

Selections: Radium Carbine

Heavy Support [6 PL, 116pts]

Skorpius Disintegrator [6 PL, 116pts]

Selections: 3x Cognis Heavy Stubber [6pts], Ferrumite Cannon [25pts]

I guess the argument is if you’re playing in points you can take basic units to fill out detachments cheaply, while if you’re playing power you may as well stick loads of big expensive guns on your troops as it’s baked into the power level. A plasma gun for the skitaari costs nearly twice as much as the guy carrying it. 

Eep. Just in the process of accepting a commission to paint up that Sanguinius Primarch from Forgeworld (with the demon base). 

Thankfully, they want it done in a similar way to the boxart one, which helps me a lot.

Bloody hope the figure's in a better state than the last one I attempted - Angrom (I think it was). 

Should be quite fun though.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, And said:

That’s a lot of army for 500 points! Significantly larger than my 10 model list. 

didn’t realise Leman’s were so cheap, what’s the drawback? 

Vehicles that don't have some sort of invulnerable save, damage mitigation, or easy access to some sort of hit-debuff struggled a lot in 8th edition.

Because most people had to build an army so it could deal with a Knight (T8, 24+ wounds, 3 up save, 5 up invun that could go to 3 or 4 with a stratagem) , meant that your average normal tank (t8, 12 wounds, 3 up save, no invul) was relatively easy meat. It was also possible to bog them down with cheap footsloggers meaning they couldn't fire, and had to give up firing to escape (if possible). Also, degrading stat lines meant that you only had to put 6 wounds on the thing to impact its capability enough to be noticeable - this is one of the reasons dreadnoughts had a big of a resurgence in 8th because they didn't degrade and could always move, shoot, and fight at full effectiveness.

Basically any surface tank really had problems, and hovertanks (Primaris, Eldar, Tau) only slightly sucked because they couldn't be dogpiled, but still struggled with resilience. The best "tanks" usually ended up being fighter jets because they were fast, usually hard to hit, and couldn't be held in place by infantry.

Many of these issues are said (by GW, obv) to be fixed by 9th. (tanks can fire even when in CC, to hit mods are capped, there;s some other things as well).

@RFT

that makes sense, my last army was death guard so I had 3 blight drone things that were like small flying tanks that could just fly away from CC then plague flamers, I didn’t really have any proper tanks to get stuck in melee. 
My other vehicles usually got shot to shit by las/plasma weapons by my mates marines and his endless re-rolling bullshit brought on by Guilliman before they got close 

45 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Eep. Just in the process of accepting a commission to paint up that Sanguinius Primarch from Forgeworld (with the demon base). 

Thankfully, they want it done in a similar way to the boxart one, which helps me a lot.

Bloody hope the figure's in a better state than the last one I attempted - Angrom (I think it was). 

Should be quite fun though.

Cool, can’t wait to see it.  Mine’s still in a box in my very long backlog.

@And @RFT that's why I was being sneaky and bringing an Astropath in my mini army above, you can make the Tank -1 to hit which is quite funny.

That's a mechanic that I hear is going in 9th as basically it would neutralise all Ork shooting.

41 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

@And @RFT that's why I was being sneaky and bringing an Astropath in my mini army above, you can make the Tank -1 to hit which is quite funny.

That's a mechanic that I hear is going in 9th as basically it would neutralise all Ork shooting.

You'll still be able to get minus 1 on hit rolls, but you won;t be able to do -2 (or more).

I play Alaitoc eldar and their trait was that you get a minus 1 to hit at over 12" range, on everything. (I chose the army years and years ago, before this was a thing). So it was possible, by burning 2CP, to get a -3 on attacks targeting a jet (-1 alaitoc. -1 "supersonic", -1 for the lightning fast reflexes stratagem - which could also be used on anything with FLY, so any of our tanks).

Orks, ironically enough, didn't care as after their codex came out in 2018 they would always hit on a 6, regardless of any mods. and they could then roll an extra dice for each 6 as well and fish for more hits.

On 24/06/2020 at 09:52, Aluco said:

I mixed up a couple of pots using empties that I had kept, because I knew I would be reusing this.

A large pot (one that the shade paints come in) was 1:1 mixed with a whole 12m pot of Nihilakh Oxide and a whole 12m pot of Lahmian Medium.

A small 12m pot was mixed with 1:1 Drakenhof Nightshade and Lahmian Medium.

I Undercoat with Corax White Spray

All over sloppy coat of the Nihilakh mix, a messy but simple task.

Then I shade the top half of the ghosty bits, up the the cowls, and the insides with the dark mix. This needs to be done carefully because even at 1:1 mix Drakenhof Nighshade is pigment rich and will leave tide marks. So, once applied, I wipe of my brush on a cloth and then draw it across the edges to blend it with the Nihilak mix underneath. While this is drying, I hang them upside down so that if any pooling does occur, it looks like deliberate blending alongside the edges of the cowls or deep inside.

After that, a drybrush with Ulthuhan Grey, more concentrated lower down so the tips appear whiter.

There are 4 variants of Cowl in the photo, the one I think works best is the brown one which is Rhinox Hide base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mornfang brown then Skrag brown highlights.

Others were greys tinted with either green or blue because the one that was just grey looked boring.

Basing is just green flock from the model shop on superglue that was applied straight onto the base, which I had repainted black. The vegetation is moss I pick up on walks in the woods, teased out with tweezers an superglued in place. The  moss soaks up the glue and then it sets quite hard which does a reasonable job of keeping the moss colour and shape. 

That's great, cheers. Good tip about hanging upside down too. Been playing vampire counts on Total War so in the mood to paint something ghostly :)

Speaking of Black Library stuff I got about a third of the way into Dark Imperium and fuck me I don’t care.  I like the stuff with Guilliman’s thoughts on how the Imperium has changed (eg the meeting with the priest) but I can’t be doing with all the stuff about how wonderful he is.  Everything the Horus Heresy did to final make me like the ultramarines and not thing of them as some boring, teachers pet type pricks is getting swiftly undone.

I’ve given up on it.  Is it worth persevering in with, does it improve?

I moved on to Spears of the Emperor, such a better book.  Thank the false emperor for ABD. 

I’m working my way slowly through the black library humble bundle of first of series from a couple of months back. 
I’d read the first 12 or so of the heresy books that came as a bundle and quite liked them. 

though out of these ones - I have to say, the space marines ones are booooring. They’re so po faced and serious about everything. 

The imperial guard ones are good though. I’m reading the one about commissar cain at the moment and it’s great in a stainless steel rat ripoff kind of way. 
I’ve read the first one of the ghosts and the first yarrick one as well and they were also enjoyable.

And the iron warriors one was ok. interesting having 

Spoiler

The baddies win!

12 hours ago, The Bag said:

Speaking of Black Library stuff I got about a third of the way into Dark Imperium and fuck me I don’t care.  I like the stuff with Guilliman’s thoughts on how the Imperium has changed (eg the meeting with the priest) but I can’t be doing with all the stuff about how wonderful he is.  Everything the Horus Heresy did to final make me like the ultramarines and not thing of them as some boring, teachers pet type pricks is getting swiftly undone.

I’ve given up on it.  Is it worth persevering in with, does it improve?

I moved on to Spears of the Emperor, such a better book.  Thank the false emperor for ABD. 

I had this as an audiobook off a humble bundle about a year ago.

It's... ok. nothing more than that. I don't remember much about it to be honest, which I guess is its own review. I can't even remember what the action climax was. The political stuff with Calgar was more interesting than the Guilliman thread as I recall. I didn't feel any need to buy further books in the series when it finished.

Spears of the Emperor is great, actually anything by ADB generally is. The Night Lords Trilogy for instance. 

I'm currently re-reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Currently reading Sabat Martyr, which is awesome. Best one since Necropolis. It's worth reading them all as you follow the troopers as they survive or die, or get promoted to Sergeant etc. So many awesome scenes:

Spoiler

Heritor Asphodel's final assault on Vervunhive in a giant moving Pyramid fortress

Drop assault on Phatine hab-domes 

Enok Innokenti - only slight more evil than Lijah Cuu - the dick

Hlaine Larkin and Mkoll - bloody legends. 

I really hope GM release a Traitor Guard force, I've been making one using the Blackstone Fortress minis but I really would love to have rules and model for a high traitor human like a High Magister / Anarch.

43 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Spears of the Emperor is great, actually anything by ADB generally is. The Night Lords Trilogy for instance. 

ADB & Abnett are my favourite black library authors by a long way.

To be fair I haven’t read much outside the Horus Heresy series.  Watson’s Space Marine way back when, the Eisenhorn trilogy, and recently having run out of Heresy & siege of terra books I wanted to read I read the Black Legion books, cause ADB.  I should really check out the Night Lords ones. 

1 hour ago, Captain Novaforce said:

I'm currently re-reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Currently reading Sabat Martyr, which is awesome. Best one since Necropolis. It's worth reading them all as you follow the troopers as they survive or die, or get promoted to Sergeant etc. So many awesome scenes:

Reveal hidden contents

Heritor Asphodel's final assault on Vervunhive in a giant moving Pyramid fortress

Drop assault on Phatine hab-domes 

Enok Innokenti - only slight more evil than Lijah Cuu - the dick

Hlaine Larkin and Mkoll - bloody legends. 

I really hope GM release a Traitor Guard force, I've been making one using the Blackstone Fortress minis but I really would love to have rules and model for a high traitor human like a High Magister / Anarch.

The Forge World Indexes has(had) rules for Traitor Guard but they were a little poor considering you could have spent a small fortune buying models for it and spend time converting and painting them. They could take most of what the regular Imperial Guard could take but were ham stringed by even poorer morale rules.

The Indexes are getting re-written by GW themselves and are imminent but that could be just after 9th launch or ages away :) 

@Captain Novaforce

If it’s any consolation I’ve spent an hour this afternoon with the boy kitbashing him a “big chaos dude” that he wants to make and paint, “like the guys doing golden demon” 

We ended up with this :

A27F58BE-6C93-49FB-9B1D-CFD5CDCAE562.jpeg

7ECE58D6-88CE-4CC1-B61F-8B938DFC0EB1.jpeg

part ork, part chaos marine, part tank, part ogre - all trouble. 

@Pelekophoros if the big wigs in Nottingham need any help designing new lines, my 8 year old and I are available. 

• Upvote 7