Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

I actually found building them a really 'mindful' process, akin to building Lego. It's been super helpful.

I've primed loads of my minis. My plan is to put my favourites on display, built and primed, and then just pick off whatever I fancy painting at the time, when I fancy painting something. Definitely buying less for a while though.

The problem I have is (to be honest like most of my hobbies) I like the idea of it more than the practice. Once I'm doing it it goes great guns, it's just getting off my arse and doing it. If you're feeling obligated to do something it's not really a hobby, but by the same token I really should do it more because I really enjoy it and, as Pele says, there's a wonderful mindfulness to painting and assembling minis. Getting into that zen-like state where you're not really thinking is really nice.

Of course this is offset when I start fucking it up, get radgey at it and sling everything down in a huff.

oo oo are we talking piles of shame?

I have 2 sets of the indom necrons, so that's 74 models, I have one command barge to paint, I also have the ork side of saga of the beast on sprue, plus a few death guard.

I am interested in blood bowl as well :D @And just pipped me to the post on that BB set.

My problem is I’m easily distracted. So at the start of lockdown I thought I’d get all the warcry stuff painted, made some progress but then got distracted by list building  in 40K which lead to a knight and some admech, And then some death guard stuff, then a new blood bowl team came out, and then Indomitus and so on. 

I've found that modelling and to a lesser extent painting uses a different part of my brain from parts my day job, so have been able to tinker a bit while I'm at work on a call. Don't do a huge amount but instead of doodling on a notepad when you are in a governance call or technical update I can do a bit of washes or dry brushing without missing any work details. 

Doesn't work when reviewing documents or excel work but can get little bits done 

my pile of shame, i mean future content consists of, but is not limited to:

3000 points of admec to paint,

2 imperial knights

1 reaver titan

9 tyranid large monsters

1 8kg rc tank

1 1/24 scale spitfire

3 bloodbowl teams

indomitus necrons

dark imperium marines and deathguard

1 1/14 scale RC truck

10 1/24 cars

2 MG gundam

1 creature caster demon

1 1:35 scale russian tractor.

1 1:10,000 scale Space Marine STrike Cruiser

1 Blood Angel Leviathan Dreadnought

2 Blood Angel Contemptor Dreadnoughts

1  1/350 Gearing Class Destroyer

about 20 Flames of War Sherman, 6 stuarts and 3 pershings and another 10 German tanks

2 AT reavers, 4 AT Warhounds

help

i think this is absolute madness. you're saving 37.50 on something you may not even want or that you may already have? but paying £75quid for the privalege?!

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The problem I have is (to be honest like most of my hobbies) I like the idea of it more than the practice. Once I'm doing it it goes great guns, it's just getting off my arse and doing it. If you're feeling obligated to do something it's not really a hobby, but by the same token I really should do it more because I really enjoy it and, as Pele says, there's a wonderful mindfulness to painting and assembling minis. Getting into that zen-like state where you're not really thinking is really nice.

Of course this is offset when I start fucking it up, get radgey at it and sling everything down in a huff.

Perversely, I've found commission painting has actively saved my painting. I very very rarely can be arsed to paint solely for myself. I find there's far too many distractions. Whereas when I'm given a commission and a timeline, that's when I actively get excited to be painting. And whilst the money is obviously a factor, it really isn't the driver to do it. I enjoy the process, and I enjoy painting for other people much more than doing it for myself. As I don't game, I don't really have any need for the finished stuff, so I'd much rather these things go to people who can do something with 'em :)

10 minutes ago, Nicky said:

i think this is absolute madness. you're saving 37.50 on something you may not even want or that you may already have? but paying £75quid for the privalege?!

Hiya, you must be new to this Game Workshop lark...

19 minutes ago, Nicky said:

I read it as 50% off rrp so £150 value. It’s decent if you want to dabble with a bit of paint and try some techniques out, plus at that price you can probably sell the ones on you don’t want without losing out. I’d be interested to see what is in them.

I have found lockdown kinda productive. My job involves a lot of conference calls, most of them require me to listen and maybe be actively involved, talking or interrupting, only about 10% of the time. It is really easy to get bored when the conversation is less relevant to me directly and start reading email or the news or whatever. This inevitably leads to the "So Rob, what do you think about that?" "Erm, would you mind repeating the question" Embarrassment.

I have found painting miniatures while on these calls stops this.

It sounds weird but painting is a visual distraction that requires no active thinking. I am more present on my calls when I am doing it, listening and thinking about what is said. As soon as I need to, I can stop, talk, engage and then go back to the painting. It sounds like skiving but it is genuinely a double win. I am better on the calls and I paint more.

So lockdown has got me through a couple Adeptus Titanicus Titans and some Knights, a 20 strong Chainrasp horde, A Knight of Shrouds and The Thorns of the Briar Queen.

My pile of shame is smaller.

Which means that is is still basically enormous.

One thing I have tried to stopped doing is assembling new stuff while I have stuff to paint. I find putting them together more inspiring than picking up some dusty unprimed plastic. I try to save that inspiration so it helps with the painting.

Sooooo.. I was considering getting the Indomitus boxset, since I learned recently that they were committing to making them to order. Cue a cursory glance at the page here and clicking on the Order Now button and I'm taken to a Error 404. :( Does this mean they have already stopped making them to order? :wacko:

2 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Sooooo.. I was considering getting the Indomitus boxset, since I learned recently that they were committing to making them to order. Cue a cursory glance at the page here and clicking on the Order Now button and I'm taken to a Error 404. :( Does this mean they have already stopped making them to order? :wacko:

Zatu have 5+ in stock at the moment so you might want to be quick if you want one.

Thanks for that guys. I wasn’t in a rush plus funds are tight so I was hoping to place a made to order.

Wayland games seem to be offering the box via the made to order scheme for a very reasonable £100. Probably too reasonable!? Has anyone any experience of using them? It seems too good to bed true..

Glad to hear positive feedback on the new BB stuff so far. The other good news - having never played the TT game - is it means Blood Bowl 3 is not far off as they are supposedly releasing in-step.

I must admit I haven’t played much of 2 recently, but will try to pick up again once that arrives. I’m really hoping they can find ways to streamline things some more as trying to find and hour-plus for a game can be tricky these days.