Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Plague Idiot 02. This guy has had some nuln oil (I think) lightly applied and then edge highlighted. He was 'finished' but now he isn't because there's so much more I can do. Gonna get some of the bits @Nicky mentioned and I might even look at basing them.

I'd quite like to base them with something like grass or something organic and make the area around their feet look dead, like their very touch is poison but that may be waaaaaaay out of my skill zone.

plague idiot 01.jpg

plague idiot o2.jpg

Grass is literally PVA glue and fibres. You can do sand, pebbles etc as well. 

Or, I've now transitioned to sticking these on because it's much, much easier - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Middenland-Tufts

But there are loads of simple basing solutions for stuff like that.

I don't know exactly what you want to do, but I would have thought you could get good results without painting blades of grass. That way lies insanity.

These aren't GW grasses, but there are plenty of brands around. You could mix and match colours to get the effect you want.

large-variety.jpg

Or you get other loose stuff that you just stick down with PVA like this (I am not endorsing this kit, no idea what's actually in it) - https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-hobby-and-scenery-by-manufacturer/the-army-painter/basing-and-accessories/scenic-kit-grass-collection

The Army Painter stuff is decent. I've got some stuff lying around here so I'll take some photos on the DG bloke I painted up a while ago to show you how easy it is. I don't have dead grass.

Other things to look into - sand/mud for inbetween tufts. Same principles.

for your next one, consider your edge highlight colour not be too disimilar from your base green,  then the current colour you're using, for the pointiest of edges. like imagine a tone between your base green and your current highlight colour, for the majority of your highlights, then that super bright one as your final highlight.  but you're getting there. thats a definitie improvment and an advancement in skill

On 16/08/2020 at 10:07, moosegrinder said:

Had a go at edge highlights. It went alright. I'd give an inordinate amount of money to have steady hands.

EfjAavlWAAAPr-I.jpeg

EfjAavoWkAALMaP.jpeg

Do you have a medical issue that makes your hands unsteady? I find that if my hands are a little shaky a good walk or laying off the caffeine works wonders. I drink much water also

This is looking very good btw

No I'm just terrible at trying to keep them steady. It's not horrific they just don't seem to be able to be as steady as they should be. I definitely don't drink enough water.

Mini stripping question: is Fairy Power Spray still the defacto thing to go to? I've used dettol with some success before but it seems to work better on older paint than the new ones.

Fairy Power Spray doesn't work anymore because they changed the formula a few years ago. Dettol works but is horrible because if you get water on it it turns into a thick black paste that is even more difficult to remove. I use stuff called Biostrip 20 which works incredibly fast and generally pretty well. It's the best stuff to use on tanks as it is a paste so you can smear it on instead of having to try to submerge a model. I haven't used @Nicky's suggestion personally. 

44 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Have you read the Night lords trilogy? 

I actually don't know. I think I have them as ebooks, but can't remember if I've read them.

40 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

For Chaos goodness Night Lords, or Storm of Iron.

I just finished Bloodlines by Chris Wraight, the first in the Warhammer Crime series which I can really recommend. Suitably Grim dark.

I've read Storm of Iron a few times. Great book.

Is that Old World Warhammer?

14 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I actually don't know. I think I have them as ebooks, but can't remember if I've read them.

I've read Storm of Iron a few times. Great book.

Is that Old World Warhammer?

No, it's 40k, set on a hive world in the galactic north but very much focused on the day to day of surface life. Gets the general ignorance of the majority of the Imperium's citizens across well.

31 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

If you've got the ebooks, give them a try. They're by the same author as Talon of Horus and Black Legion. 

If you want something that's a bit more of an adventure story with grimdark elements, then the Eisenhorn books are great. If you want something that's like a rip-roaring action movie, then l would recommend the guilty pleasure that is Rynn's World. I rarely see that get recommended, but I loved it. 

57 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Eisenhorn

I've read this a good few times over the years. Including relatively recently, when I went through the whole series of Eisenhorn, Ravenor, The Magos and Pariah, with all the short stories in between. Took a while, that.

£8!  Holy shit.  

I got that same box from ebay for £45 and I was over the moon.  It was £75 new and is increasingly hard to find.   You even get some cool scenery, that weird ducking stool model, and the Goblin King is an awesome mini.

Those old terminators are such lovely minis. I look forward to seeing them done.

Yesterday I had a lot of calls. So I also painted this Glaivewraith Stalker while I was listening:

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200826171845472_COVER.thumb.jpg.e6ef9be9b6b6243bc373437ecd4dae7b.jpg

On 20/08/2020 at 19:31, Nicky said:

wilkos paint and varnish remover. dont use anything else.

Right, got some of this toxic shit. Is it just a case of applying and leaving then checking back? How's best to us it?