Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Just reading the Fauxhammer article on it. I never tend to get past the first few issues of these things, but it seems there are hidden extra costs if you go via Hachette? So they charge for the extra binders they send, and some unannounced stuff.

@Butters

For the last 40K one I just cherry picked issues I wanted from forbidden planet. (Including 3 big nurgle tanks i wish I’d kept)

But I subscribed for both through hatchette and took the first few issues for free glue and stuff and then just quit. 

No problems. 

I think if you sub and quit you just miss out on the “free gifts” in later issues - so obviously don’t take out a premium sub and then quit, but you should be ok on a regular sub. 

21 minutes ago, Butters said:

Just reading the Fauxhammer article on it. I never tend to get past the first few issues of these things, but it seems there are hidden extra costs if you go via Hachette? So they charge for the extra binders they send, and some unannounced stuff.

I was with Hatchett till issue 30 odd, and yes they start to sell you other stuff on the side that you need to opt out of. I did for some but went and let them change me for the art book and the Silver Templars codex book. I could afford it at the time and was happy to get more war hams

46 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

If I could guarantee getting an individual I'd just get the Necrons but the pandemic plus nobody guaranteed to have stock and me forgetting to order them from FP means I'd probably go sub with GW. I dunno.

I pre-order from FP. They usually have the next 10 or so issues up on the site. But they only charge you when each one ships. So every so often you can skim the upcoming list, and pre-order what takes your fancy.

Fauxhammer usually has the scoop on the upcoming issues, although lately that's been slipping and he has wrong or out of date info (there are already images on FP that he doesn't have, and issue 51 of Mortal Realms shows the wrong model). I think he's been unwell though.

If it's Necrons you're after, issues 1, 2, 4 are the ones you'll want, so far.

Full list (which will get update as it goes along) here:

https://www.fauxhammer.com/featured/warhammer-imperium-magazine-contents-list-issues-1-80/

The Imperium army looks decent but I have too much of it already. By my reckoning, it has the Shadowspear marines and the entire Battle Sisters boxset in it, then it looks like the assault intercessors and bladeguard veterans from Infinity's, Belisarius Crawl(?) and Gullyman. Plus, some Ad Mech stuff and some new Marine armour.

It's a decent and varied starter army. 

13 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

As if I've read the rules enough to know that. 

:D 

Basically - in 8th you got 3 CP for being battleforged and then extra CP for taking detachments. So from memory if you had a 2000 point army that was a battalion, a small detachment of fast attacks (say) and a knight you’d get 3+9+3+3 = 18 cp. 

in 9th you get a set amount of cp depending on the battle size, the detachment with your warlord in is free and then get a reduction for extra detachments. 
So the example above would get 12-0-3-3=6 Cp. 

It basically came out just as I finished painting my knight and building my admech. Yay

I think I’ve just talked myself out of it again. 

Is it in shops yet?

Because pain brings you closer to the emperor's divine light. 

17 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Why in gods name did I pick white armour for my sisters?

On 27/02/2021 at 14:49, feltmonkey said:

This is a bit of a mad post, but I painted this -

517589309_SILVER-CRUSADERIMPERIALKNIGHT(RNHN001)2(11).thumb.jpg.1008f41fed1758d9a8e0a2d950bbea08.jpg

1426501729_SILVER-CRUSADERIMPERIALKNIGHT(RNHN001)2(1).thumb.jpg.d4c020c3401f714f81ff0e427c15e6b8.jpg

1585700202_SILVER-CRUSADERIMPERIALKNIGHT(RNHN001)2(5).thumb.jpg.7832c48889c056bf487991de638b1074.jpg

1434955651_SILVER-CRUSADERIMPERIALKNIGHT(RNHN001)1(5).thumb.jpg.ef768a606ea7747c418c8919a5840a9c.jpg

2067086796_SILVER-CRUSADERIMPERIALKNIGHT(RNHN001)2(2).thumb.jpg.8cb868b396a4c265a73aec01b69bbe92.jpg

That's a familiar-looking logo in the top corner, isn't it?  :D

I'm not accusing Siege Studios of stealing my work - I painted this for them!  I'm not officially one of their painters yet - I'm on probabtion to hopefully become one.  Exciting, though.

Just seen this pop up on Reddit!

10 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah? Someone else claiming to have painted it?  :D

Your employers! Taking credit for the working man’s graft. 

Has anyone got the first issue of Imperium? Can't see it in my usual shops, so I guess it mustn't be one of the regions selected.

Anyone subscribe and get their issue already?

19 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I think the 10th is a trial release, so selected regions only and subscribers won't get it yet. According to Fauxhammer subscribers of the previous mags got sent the fist couple of issues free, retrospectively.

I wonder if that includes people that subscribed for a while then cancelled?

55 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I wonder if that includes people that subscribed for a while then cancelled?

I had brief subs to both and haven’t had anything through so maybe it was only long time subscribers. 

I’ve genuinely no idea if these are popular or not, my problem with the 40K ones is that a lot of the stuff is sprues from recent boxes.
Boxes that as a 40K space marine player I’ve already bought. So this time round I’ve already got nearly all of the marine units on offer, having bought shadow spear and indomitus, and also the ad mech stuff is almost a carbon copy of my infantry. I’ll be picking up some cheap breachers though if I can. 

So at first I was like - look at all that stuff ! Then I realised it would still cost like £700 and I could just spend that on units I wanted rather than more duplicate and / or unplayable primaris units

Agreed,I subscribed first time round and it was useful for bulking up my death guard but I don’t feel the need this time as I’ve already got loads of necrons and so just need the odd unit or character 

Not sure if his should go in here or Discussion, but from IGN:

Games Workshop is giving away a dozen Warhammer PC games, plus some DLC, in the next issue of White Dwarf, the official Warhammer magazine. Available from Games Workshop, other magazine stockists, and FLGS (friendly local games stores), the March edition of White Dwarf contains a voucher code for Steam, which will redeem 12 free games, including favourites Total War: Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

The code also redeems a 75% off voucher for 4X strategy Warhammer 40,000: Gladius, and a Legendary Khorne pack for Warhammer: Chaos & Conquest, a free-to-play MMORPG/strategy hybrid.

The 12 games provided as part of the promotion are: Total War: Warhammer (plus the Call of the Beastmen DLC), Warhammer: 40,000: Dawn of War, Warhammer: 40,000: Space Marine, Warhammer: 40,000: Armageddon Da Orks, Warhammer: 40,000: Sanctus Reach, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Warhammer: 40,000: Space Wolf, Warhammer Quest, Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times, Warhammer Underworlds Online, Adeptus Titanicus: Dominus, and Talisman: Digital Edition.

As announced on the Warhammer Community site, the 462nd issue of White Dwarf will be available to buy from March 19, and can be pre-ordered from March 12. Importantly, the free games can only be claimed from a physical copy of White Dwarf, so if you get the magazine in digital format you won’t be able to get these games.

As many fans of Games Workshop know, there are a mountain of Warhammer games out there, some great, some not so great. Thankfully, this code includes some of the best games set in the Warhammer universes; Vermintide 2 is a particularly great grab, and the original Dawn of War - while showing its age now - is continually beloved as one of the best video game representations of the 41st millennium.

40 warriors to assemble today and speed paint today.

I’m actually going to base coat on the sprue, as on inspecting the models I spray painted after assembly there are some areas that I completely missed.