Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

There’s something a bit off about that pose to me.  Looking at his arms and torso he appears to be moving/turning to stage left (<-) whilst head and legs are very much indicating the opposite.

Edit - unless he’s meant to be blocking with that sword.

2 hours ago, The Bag said:

There’s something a bit off about that pose to me.  Looking at his arms and torso he appears to be moving/turning to stage left (<-) whilst head and legs are very much indicating the opposite.

Edit - unless he’s meant to be blocking with that sword.

Now you've mentioned it yes it would be better if his knees were tilted left then it would be more "come follow me"

Hopefully some elements will be poseable, but I'm not hugely fussed either way.

I snagged a bit of an eBay bargain this week. I spotted a bundle of paints, tools, and some Necrons for £94.99. I didn't "need" all of it, but it was all useful. I did a quick calculation and worked out it was worth a lot more than £94, so I pushed the button.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.52465ba2875da36c09688ff03cd56c84.jpg

Anyway, I just added up the actual cost (the price stickers were on a lot of it, the rest I googled) and it comes to £318.89!

The paints alone there are £50 (some Contrast paints in the bundle). Some nice Windsor & Newton and Rosemary & Co brushes there too.

11 hours ago, Oracle said:

40 warriors to assemble today and speed paint today.

I’m actually going to base coat on the sprue, as on inspecting the models I spray painted after assembly there are some areas that I completely missed. 

I managed to spray the models on the sprue but not had time to assemble them yet. I did however, try basing models for the first time! 

I still need to do a top coat of basing cement (which I’m pretty sure is just pva), but I am amazed how much a consistent base lifts an army. 

3BE2D150-8E47-44DE-8E42-9B90494612B3.jpeg

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

I managed to spray the models on the sprue but not had time to assemble them yet. I did however, try basing models for the first time! 

I still need to do a top coat of basing cement (which I’m pretty sure is just pva), but I am amazed how much a consistent base lifts an army. 

3BE2D150-8E47-44DE-8E42-9B90494612B3.jpeg

Those look fab!

Basing is one of my favourite elements of the hobby, and something I really want to get more into.

Starting a separate Instagram account for my mini painting has giving me the momentum to actually finish stuff. I was going through my pile of shame this week and it’s a bit weird how many I’d got to 99% completion and then just...stopped. Probably a nice new shiny model arrived to distract me.

Anyway, I’ve posted this guy before but I hadn’t done the hourglass. I think I was unsure how to approach it. Anyway it’s done now and I’m quite pleased with the illusion of glass, considering it’s just three colours:

624304C3-4033-49D8-9097-DD0A52DA8DAD.thumb.jpeg.4a9a697e4429e239423b1fbb598f8cdf.jpeg

D3858C59-725A-4923-A9D9-BF36F6793D8F.thumb.jpeg.e79b8a37e12db43cfce077f069a6304b.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

@Davros sock drawer stick a link up to your insta if you want a follow. I much prefer nerd Instagram to lifestyle envy Instagram

I wasn't fishing, honest! But here you go:

https://www.instagram.com/tonystinies/

I have to say I agree about Nerd Instagram. I've been slightly taken aback by the support and lovely comments over the last week.

23 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Basing seems fun, I need to get some other blocky stone things as well.

This is a good pack, it comes with a bag of cork "rocks" which are very useful:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Army-Painter-Battlefields-Basing-Set/dp/B07NKZT1BM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=XC597PO0OHW3&dchild=1&keywords=army+painter+basing&qid=1616060685&sprefix=army+painter+ba%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-5

Also Green Tea is good for mixing in with regular flock grass for bit more variation.

22 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Starting a separate Instagram account for my mini painting has giving me the momentum to actually finish stuff. I was going through my pile of shame this week and it’s a bit weird how many I’d got to 99% completion and then just...stopped. Probably a nice new shiny model arrived to distract me.

Anyway, I’ve posted this guy before but I hadn’t done the hourglass. I think I was unsure how to approach it. Anyway it’s done now and I’m quite pleased with the illusion of glass, considering it’s just three colours:

624304C3-4033-49D8-9097-DD0A52DA8DAD.thumb.jpeg.4a9a697e4429e239423b1fbb598f8cdf.jpeg

D3858C59-725A-4923-A9D9-BF36F6793D8F.thumb.jpeg.e79b8a37e12db43cfce077f069a6304b.jpeg

That's really well done.

Thanks @The Bag. It's funny, sometimes a tiny detail like that seems like a real head scratcher, but then with one blob of paint if suddenly becomes a real object! It felt flukey at the time, but I reckon I could replicate it.

Space Marine Lenses though. Man, I'm glad I have a few helmets to practice on!

30 more warriors assembled. Fiddly little shits. Just need to base and paint. 

Total models:

12 warriors with reapers

40 warriors with blasters

2 skorpek lords

1 catacomb command barge

2 plasmancers

2 reanimators

3 overlords

2 Royal wardens

5 immortals 

4 cryptophralls

6 skorpek destroyers

15 scarabs

2 plasmacites

and soon to arrive

1 technomancer

1 doomstalker

I’ve got 5 war bands worth of spare warcry cards - but in 7 foreign languages. Seems a shame to bin them but can’t imagine they’d sell for anything - does anyone want them? 
there’s orks, 2 flavours of stormcast, nighthaunt and khorne. 
otherwise I guess the bin beckons 

0B01D114-387C-4B83-8A23-81296801F2F1.jpeg

similarly -I’ve a spare set of the warcry setup cards if anyone wants them. 

32BC00DF-C66F-4679-864B-A89939F0A919.jpeg

19 hours ago, And said:

I’ve got 5 war bands worth of spare warcry cards - but in 7 foreign languages. Seems a shame to bin them but can’t imagine they’d sell for anything - does anyone want them? 
there’s orks, 2 flavours of stormcast, nighthaunt and khorne. 
otherwise I guess the bin beckons 

0B01D114-387C-4B83-8A23-81296801F2F1.jpeg

similarly -I’ve a spare set of the warcry setup cards if anyone wants them. 

32BC00DF-C66F-4679-864B-A89939F0A919.jpeg

I'm interested. I play Warcry a bit and have a bunch of models from those ranges that could be used in the game.

39 minutes ago, Aluco said:

I'm interested. I play Warcry a bit and have a bunch of models from those ranges that could be used in the game.

PM me your deets and I’ll post them on, though to be clear - all the text is in either Russian, Japanese, french, German, etc etc and it’s only the big cards as I’m using the little ones. 

Do you want the setup cards too?

3 hours ago, And said:

PM me your deets and I’ll post them on, though to be clear - all the text is in either Russian, Japanese, french, German, etc etc and it’s only the big cards as I’m using the little ones. 

Do you want the setup cards too?

Done.