Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Space Marine is indeed excellent, as is Sanctus Reach. I liked the first Quest game and Space Wolf on iPad a lot too. Adeptus Titanicus is the only one of those I particularly want, otherwise I’d be all over it. What a great giveaway.

After Space Marine’s release I suggested to the lead designer a number of times that they should take a swing at doing and Eisenhorn game.  He left Relic to make The Long Dark instead.

I can't 'do' miniatures (the extent of my efforts being a completely failed Deathwatch kill team, and my biggest success in the Warhammer field has been a custom McFarlane figure, which doesn't count), but still I found this a completely brilliant watch.

Pre-orders go up for WHQ Cursed City on Saturday. Then it’s out around a week later I think. £125 but there’s a lot in the box and as usual, the quality looks sensational. I’ll be having some of that. 

I've been tempted as it looks great (like I don't have enough to play already?). But it sounds like it'll be a mad scramble on Saturday with limited availability (at least for now).

Not paid much attention in the past but is this the norm for GW launches? Was it the same with Blackstone Fortress?

Yep, I believe it's a 1 week pre-order so should be in your hands the week after. I am excited. I might actually play this one too. The 'Let's Play' video is certainly more accessible this time around.

*stares at Blackstone Fortress*

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Pre-orders go up for WHQ Cursed City on Saturday. Then it’s out around a week later I think. £125 but there’s a lot in the box and as usual, the quality looks sensational. I’ll be having some of that. 

I really like the minis, but I've never played the games and I'm not sure I would have the time or more than one other person who would be able/willing to play it with me. SO it's really a question of whether I think £125 is worth it for 42 minis...

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

I can't 'do' miniatures (the extent of my efforts being a completely failed Deathwatch kill team, and my biggest success in the Warhammer field has been a custom McFarlane figure, which doesn't count), but still I found this a completely brilliant watch.

I've posted this guy's videos before, he has a great approach and amazing video production skills.

41 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I really like the minis, but I've never played the games and I'm not sure I would have the time or more than one other person who would be able/willing to play it with me. SO it's really a question of whether I think £125 is worth it for 42 minis...

Buy it from wayland or someone and it’ll be more like £105, so that’s £2.50 a model. 

Better value than the pariah box I bought which was £75 for 12 models and some bits of scatter terrain and a game I’m likely also never to play. 

Looks great but I'm in no hurry to pick it up. Does stuff like this from GW generally stay in print for a long time? Would you expect to be able to pick it up easily in a year or so?

Hoping my Curse of Strahd D&D campaign will eventually go physical rather than Roll20 so some of these minis would be bang on.

When I looked at Blackstone Fortress last year it was available but patchy supply, but it was hard to gauge if that was because of COIVD. The expansions seemed to be more the issue as they were scarce then and I don't think that's changed (I did read that once GW see a game as 'complete' then it starts going out of print quite quickly).

BSF was released something like 2018? Based on that like And said, I'm pretty sure Cursed City will be available for some time (and will probably have had the first expansion by next year).

3 minutes ago, And said:

What you playing as? Post up your list so I can live vicariously 

2k, Necrons vs Space Wolves

my list:

Unnamed Army 1
Necrons - Strikeforce - Eternal War ( 9CP - 1994PT - 6PT )

Necrons Patrol Detachment ( 2CP - 435PT )
 SUB-FACTION: Obsekh
    HQ
         Chronomancer (80)       
         Technomancer (90) Canoptek control node  
            TRAITS: Thrall of the Silent King    
            STRATAGEMS: Rarefied Nobility

TROOPS
         Immortals (85)
            5x Immortals      

ELITES
         Cryptothralls (40)
            2x Cryptothrall      

HEAVY SUPPORT
         Canoptek Doomstalker  (140)       

Necrons Battalion Detachment ( 3CP - 1559PT )
 SUB-FACTION: Obsekh
    HQ
        WARLORD: Catacomb Command Barge (180) Resurrection orb  
            TRAITS: Immortal Pride    
         Royal Warden (75)      
            RELICS: Veil of Darkness 
         Skorpekh Lord (130)       

TROOPS
         Necron Warriors (169)
            13x Necron Warrior      
         Necron Warriors (260)
            2x Necron Warrior
            18x Necron Warrior: Gauss reaper      
         Necron Warriors (260)
            1x Necron Warrior
            19x Necron Warrior: Gauss reaper      

ELITES
         Canoptek Plasmacyte (15)       
         Canoptek Reanimator (80)       
         Skorpekh Destroyers (210)
            4x Skorpekh Destroyer
            2x Skorpekh Destroyer with hyperphase reap-blade      

FAST ATTACK
         Canoptek Scarab Swarms (90)
            6x Scarab Swarm      
         Canoptek Scarab Swarms (90)
            6x Scarab Swarm      

STRATAGEMS
     Rarefied Nobility (1CP) 

Total Command Points: 6/15
Reinforcement Points: 6
Total Points: 1994/2000

3 hours ago, Kzo said:

Looks great but I'm in no hurry to pick it up. Does stuff like this from GW generally stay in print for a long time? Would you expect to be able to pick it up easily in a year or so?

Hoping my Curse of Strahd D&D campaign will eventually go physical rather than Roll20 so some of these minis would be bang on.

3 hours ago, And said:

You could buy black stone fortress for ages so I’d expect so. 

3 hours ago, Spatial said:

When I looked at Blackstone Fortress last year it was available but patchy supply, but it was hard to gauge if that was because of COIVD. The expansions seemed to be more the issue as they were scarce then and I don't think that's changed (I did read that once GW see a game as 'complete' then it starts going out of print quite quickly).

BSF was released something like 2018? Based on that like And said, I'm pretty sure Cursed City will be available for some time (and will probably have had the first expansion by next year).

Blackstone Fortress' availability was in the Before Times. Things were very, very different then in many, many ways.

I would absolutely recommend grabbing Cursed City as soon as there is stock in front of you to purchase if you are interested in getting it. I'm not for a second suggesting that it's not going to be supported, because it will be, and I'm obviously not at liberty to go into much at all because I like being employed. But I really really want it, and I will absolutely be on the website just before 10am (which is the go live time the GW social team always talk about) to make sure I get it.

On 31/03/2021 at 14:08, Pelekophoros said:

Blackstone Fortress' availability was in the Before Times. Things were very, very different then in many, many ways.

I would absolutely recommend grabbing Cursed City as soon as there is stock in front of you to purchase if you are interested in getting it. I'm not for a second suggesting that it's not going to be supported, because it will be, and I'm obviously not at liberty to go into much at all because I like being employed. But I really really want it, and I will absolutely be on the website just before 10am (which is the go live time the GW social team always talk about) to make sure I get it.

Yeah, I'm also hearing that it's going to be difficult to get hold of, although I'm not sure if it's a limited run or just limited stock at launch. Apparently some of the books were either on that big ship that got stuck, or were on one of the ships caught up in the queue behind it!

Personally, I was going to give it a miss as I have other boxes I scrambled to get and then ended up not doing a damn thing with. Now I'm getting gripped by FOMO and have a mad urge to order a copy despite not really being able to afford it. :rolleyes:

On 31/03/2021 at 09:25, Davros sock drawer said:

I've posted this guy's videos before, he has a great approach and amazing video production skills.

I'm not a massive fan of video tutorials really. I find them mostly annoying, and far prefer to muddle through and find out ways to do things myself (because at the end of the day I'm a very stubborn old man), but he's really the only person putting out painting videos that I watch and thoroughly enjoy. I find his approach very interesting, and he has a particularly soothing voice!

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I'm not a massive fan of video tutorials really. I find them mostly annoying, and far prefer to muddle through and find out ways to do things myself (because at the end of the day I'm a very stubborn old man), but he's really the only person putting out painting videos that I watch and thoroughly enjoy. I find his approach very interesting, and he has a particularly soothing voice!

It’s true. Video tutorials can sometimes be good for clueing you in on a technique or something you can then run with, (for example, I didn’t realise technical paints like Soulstone Blue are designed to go over a bright metallic base coat), but they can also be full of things that either don’t fit your style or can put you off by being so damned good you can’t feel anything other than inferior.

52 Miniatures’ stuff is more like a love letter to the hobby and he’s on his own journey rather than trying to instruct people. 

That said, I may have just started a Lord of Blights after watching Darren Latham’s Masterclass. I’m incorrigible :lol: