Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Maybe hate was a strong word (I'm just trying to lay on hyperbole in my justification for not ordering the game) - wary of them is probably a better way of putting it.

They've messed around some of my orders in the past. They were showing an item in stock which then magically went out of stock (and placed on back order) just as I ordered it. I wouldn't have even minded but it was part of another order so everything was left sitting in limbo until I contacted them to ask what was going on. Ended up cancelling.

Despite my better judgement I then used them again and they sat on an in-stock order for over a week and a half before I asked them what was going on. Didn't reply to my email but it was magically shipped by the end of that day.

Other people have had similar rubbish experiences with them too;

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Starting to wish I had too now :lol:

Conversely I’ve spent hundreds of pounds with wayland and they’ve been fine every time. 

I don’t need this box. I’ve no one to play it with. Still tempted though!

Although black stone fortress would be more useful from a model point of view. Is it any good?

I've had repeated, bad experiences with Wayland doing exactly the same as with Spatial - their stock management is clearly 'not great', as I've routinely ordered things that are 'in stock' only for them to suddenly end up with multiple-month delays, pushing the whole order back; they're awful at comms on orders, not actually telling you about the delays unless you contact them yourself; and worst of all is what I found out at the start of last year: if they permanently run out of stock on an item they will unilaterally remove it from your order, ship the rest of it and give you store credit on the missing item(s) rather than a refund, with no option for anything else. Absolute shitheel behaviour.

13261319_WaylandGamesdickheadery.png.35dd46798b57396f9dbc7febe0f4f25f.png

I won't buy from them any more because of that, and they can keep the store credit.

6 hours ago, And said:

Conversely I’ve spent hundreds of pounds with wayland and they’ve been fine every time. 

I don’t need this box. I’ve no one to play it with. Still tempted though!

Although black stone fortress would be more useful from a model point of view. Is it any good?

While I haven't actually played Blackstone fortress I've loved painting the minis. 

I really want Traitor Guard to be an official things with mad warp touched humans like the Anarch being a thing.

48 minutes ago, Oracle said:

DM would be cool even though the name has always struck me as uber naff and moustache twirly evil. 

And that would be out of place in 40K how?

Since starting my new career (humble brag), I decided I don't want to spend all my time off in front of the PC. I picked up a box of space marines/chaos? something - several years ago (I painted a dreadnaught and a random troop and then put them away).

I started watching some beginner videos a couple of days ago and picked up some brushes and I still have some citadel paints here. I must have picked the absolute hardest thing to paint (Kranon the Relentless(?)), stuck it together and primed it, then pulled it apart because I realised I can't paint the back of the cape. Then realised I probably primed it the wrong colour because I hadn't decided what colour scheme to use.

Will post a pic when I'm done with the beast.

photo_2021-04-05_17-07-28.jpg

photo_2021-04-05_17-11-10.jpg

I made up some custom colours, mixed a blue with a bit of green and white to get some kind of dirty blue thing, and a silvery colour. This took me far too long. It actually looks alright in person. Will probably take me a month to finish it because I'm pretty OCD when it comes to this stuff. photo_2021-04-05_19-03-30.thumb.jpg.69ef22a01d00f6466cec084e77d4ebeb.jpg

photo_2021-04-05_21-34-24.jpg

Nice scheme. Very Menoth from Warmachine. Maybe check if they have any decals?

Also, get some micro set and micro sol. they make using transfers so easy.

I got some Micro Sol - it doesn’t seem to help with certain shapes. I just don’t see how a round symbol say, is ever going to conform to a shoulder pad. The Black Templar cross I just put on another marine? Absolutely fine. 

I don’t know anything about the lore so I shall check out your suggestion, thanks! 

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Good work - I’m still struggling with decals myself.

I’m working on a trio of Marines in a sort of Rhubarb and Custard colour scheme. Any thoughts for what chapter decal might fit? Or should I (gasp!) create and paint my own? 

8EA1B35C-79D8-4429-AED9-CD8DB153E1A5.thumb.jpeg.bb63f3726cb38aa50812c6b53a55aed1.jpeg

These are lovely.

You could look at if they match any of these:

https://www.deviantart.com/djnnayt/art/All-Loyalists-Space-Marine-Chapters-425805126

but going with your own successor chapter feels like the right thing to me! Most of them you can't buy decals for anyway, so you'll likely be hand painting the chapter markings regardless.

Nah man, your faces are consistently great.  You've given the guy at the front so much character.  I don't know what decals to use, but if you're freehanding it, avoid circles and create something that you can reproduce the size and positioning of.  Using something that actually touches an edge is a good way of making sure you get it in the same place every time.  One thing you should do to give them a bit more realism is drill the gun barrels out.  

Here's a little glimpse of what I've been working on for Siege Studios (I contractually have to mention them, I'm not showing off.)

1161895833_PESS0012403WIP(2).thumb.jpg.f788b90a272e40c7af1eed16bd982a03.jpg

146982624_PESS0012403WIP(3).thumb.jpg.8aa8017ab1a1744a82f7be5f75cc1bee.jpg

587395960_PESS0012403WIP(4).thumb.jpg.c4eced7cffff2fc4f88316f78830c373.jpg

305435915_PESS0012403WIP(5).thumb.jpg.f5c8db3c9e44fb55ece9f9aa6f41ada3.jpg

1568038492_PESS0012403WIP(6).thumb.jpg.40df98e814b9f47b80fbbb76575e11d9.jpg

This is only a bit of the whole commission which also includes 15(!) Inceptors, some characters, and some Bladeguard Veterans.  It's taken over a week to edge highlight the Intercessors, but their white armour is all done now.  It's a lot of work.  Would you guys be happy with an army that all looked that guy above?

That’s a lot of work! And yes, absolutely I’d be happy with that.

Thanks for the comments on my faces, but I haven’t posted my boss-eyed failures! :lol:

Those are excellent tips for free handing symbols, I will definitely refer to those when I summon up the courage to try. 

And yep - already been drilling out the gun barrels. Pin vice ftw!

26D017D4-50CF-437A-BB41-E23FE84A1E6B.thumb.jpeg.a46cee850110f6ef6c53ac679f221ac1.jpeg

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I got some Micro Sol - it doesn’t seem to help with certain shapes. I just don’t see how a round symbol say, is ever going to conform to a shoulder pad. The Black Templar cross I just put on another marine? Absolutely fine. 

I don’t know anything about the lore so I shall check out your suggestion, thanks! 

more coats of it. once its sat on the surface you need to grab a Qtip/cotton bud dip it in the microsol, then CAREFULLY roll the cottonbud across the decal. dont smudge it or brush it across, roll it carefully, each coat you apply eats a little of the decal film away. the qtip will allow you to conform it to the shoulders. you may think at the moment it's folly, but you're just not letting it do its thing for long enough :)

Yeah, but the microset layer underneath should make it stick when it's (gently) rolled onto it while the microsol dissolves the film to make it soft and slightly bendy/stretchy - that's what allows it to conform, even with an extreme case like the crinkly tank below. That was done by gently pusshing the decal down with the tip of a stiff brush that's usually used for drybrushing. 

image.png