Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Just now, Aluco said:

Mine has slotted nicely into my pile of shame:

20210412_125302.thumb.jpg.138dd7cd9ec450239c60dff28e63eb6a.jpg

I need to complete a few things on my desk first but will no doubt be pulling it out shortly.

But what about the game? Lolz

Your Adeptus Titanicus box is upside down.

5 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

But what about the game? Lolz

Your Adeptus Titanicus box is upside down.

That Adeptus Titanicus box has mostly been painted. It is the empty box...

Filled with miniatures from other places that are yet to be painted.

Has anyone tried assembling the Cursed City models yet? I saw someone elsewhere saying the models were a bit 'gappy'.

This is my first time of using GW's push-fit stuff and just wondering if it's worth me trimming the pegs and gluing first as last.

46 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Has anyone tried assembling the Cursed City models yet? I saw someone elsewhere saying the models were a bit 'gappy'.

This is my first time of using GW's push-fit stuff and just wondering if it's worth me trimming the pegs and gluing first as last.

I did 6 last night, and they were fiddly but fine. I usually have to help the push fit models along with glue, but if you're careful with these they click together quite neatly. I guess I might not have come across a problematic one yet though.

Have to say, the sculpts are pretty spectacular in hand., The light grey plastic they've used for the heroes is really nice and the detail is somehow both chunky and intricate at the same time. Dying to get started on them!

C3BEF797-5EFD-46A8-8539-4009D5B96EF3.thumb.jpeg.9769706290d26e76f5f0f23f4e0422df.jpeg

E3D14229-3B68-4995-ABB2-6EE76786DF4A.thumb.jpeg.42ccd546cb2ab6479bfa58b4cedac901.jpeg

Brutogg was the one being complained about for having huge seams down his rear neckline, but if you've put him together fine then it might not be an issue.

I've been amazed by the fine detail on them and how scarily thin some of the bits are - saw some images of Octren's beard being snapped at the tip and Qulathis' arrow being snapped or missing, both whilst still on sprue. No surprise give the fineness of them.

Thankfully all mine look to be intact (although I'll be amazed if I don't break something when assembling thanks to my chunk mitt hands).

Started assembling my Cursed City Hero's - really impressed with how well the push fit works. Some connections still feel a little loose but I've applied some small dabs of glue to the pins to hold them a bit more.

Jelsen's been the fiddliest to assemble so far, Dagnai drew first blood (typical Dwarf!) when I slipped cleaning a sprue mark and jabbed the knife through my finger.

Brutogg's been perhaps the most gappy of them all once assembled and he might need a small bit of fine filler to hide the join as it's right on the front.

Thought it's nothing like this guy on Reddit is ending up with;

ewqxg6rgwqs61.jpg?width=1496&format=pjpg

edit: Heroes done - Octren is the biggest gappiest boy. That back panel is going to need some filler to sort it, but other than that it's been fun assembling this lot so far.

Sorry for the contined Cursed City posts - putting the Ulfenkarn skeleton soldiers together; am I reading the instructions right that part D23 is an either or option for the guy with the banner or the guy with the face plate and sword? Otherwise I'm two D23's short.

1 hour ago, Spatial said:

Sorry for the contined Cursed City posts - putting the Ulfenkarn skeleton soldiers together; am I reading the instructions right that part D23 is an either or option for the guy with the banner or the guy with the face plate and sword? Otherwise I'm two D23's short.

There are 2 D23 parts in the set in total. If you have 2 of them, then you have them all

Some people have been toying with colour schemes that replicate the black, white and red stylised artwork (these obviously aren't the actual figures, this guy just used these as a test)

tjj2233602n61.jpg?width=2488&format=pjpg

I'm really tempted as it should be quite easy to replicate and get them on the table ASAP. But the other part of me looks at the models, and all their delicious detail, and can't help but feel it's crying out for a range of colours.

Just finished my Ulfenkarn Skelly boys so still have plenty to assemble and make my mind up what I'm going to do.

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Always good to have spares for kit-bashing or basing.

I’ve had to stop putting my set together as my fingers are getting shredded! 

I’ve primed all the main characters though. Love these guys:

799500C7-2AE4-4745-B290-412A3FAADC2B.thumb.jpeg.0ca6b54b6d23ca14b58ebb6c0c468983.jpeg

they’re fantastic, from Cursed City too?

My main issue with building was that the dwarf's extra peg went in wrong (missed the socket) snapped when I removed it to re-fit, so I had to basically just mount the backpack by eye.

I do wonder if the delay (as it's pretty obvious this was supposed to be an xmas release) wasn't covid but having to retool his sprue to include the extra part as it's something like "29A", which is very unusual. It wasn't just missed off the instructions, it was added later on after all the rest of the parts on that sprue were numbered.

Octren's back was the only place I resorted to using some filler.

Need Feldherr to pull their finger out and release a foam tray for the models now (Want to get their Space Hulk one as well)

13 hours ago, Spatial said:

Some people have been toying with colour schemes that replicate the black, white and red stylised artwork.

I'll probably do something similar.  They're nice looking models, but there are 60 of them and getting them all painted is the goal. With that in mind a limited palette and a heavily stylized appearance will be my approach. 

On 13/04/2021 at 14:47, Albert Fish said:

I was just looking through some old White Dwarf's and found this GW letter from legendary painter, John Blanche (but not signed by him). I never got back to them as I was only 16 and Nottingham was hundreds of miles away 

20210413_144057.jpg

More than 30 years ago, probably around the time you got your letter, my brother wrote to John Blanche to ask him about painting. I seem to remember White Dwarf did a bit of a "problem page" at the time, I think he was hoping to get in that. If I remember right, he was asking how to shade the recesses in black cloaks and the like - my brother always painted everything in the base colour, then used dark washes to pick out detail, rather than highlighting. His question didn't get printed in WD, but John himself sent a handwritten and signed postcard back, explaining he needed to highlight, rather than use dark washes. It was pinned to a noticeboard in his bedroom for year, no idea if he still has it. 

12 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I'll probably do something similar.  They're nice looking models, but there are 60 of them and getting them all painted is the goal. With that in mind a limited palette and a heavily stylized appearance will be my approach. 

Pics please when you do! :)

There's some brewing Drama now regarding Cursed City and its future.

Up to now, everyone's been assuming that CC would just be replacing Blackstone Fortress as a box that would be on sale for a couple of years and would be followed up with expansions. the rulebook mentions expansions, the articles in the run-up to pre-order week didn't mentiion it being lmiited, and people asking on social got responses from the WH community team saying that yes, this would be a main line product like BSF.

Those responses have now been deleted. There are twitter posts (replies to people asking) from the WH community team that now say it was a one-off and no future production will happen.

All sorts of conspiracy theories flying around ranging from brexit to GW just being plain evil.

There's clearly been some behind-the-scenes cock-up and a lack of communication between product planning and marketing, if the status of the product changed between when the bulk of it was actually produced and the final release after the fix to the Dwarf Character.

It is very weird - I can't see GW deliberately doing this as such a limited run. With the costs involved in developing it, it just wouldn't make sense. Utimately they're a company that has to satisfy their share holders with profits and I'd be suprised if they recouped development costs for this on one messy run all on its own.

Someone on Reddit suggested there'd been a screw up with wherever was producing it and now they won't, or can't, produce any more. But even if that's the case, GW should eventually be able to switch production to somewhere else, even if it might need to be reworked and given a separate SKU or something.

Ultimately it's turned into a case study for how not to do customer communications. All they need to do is release some kind of cohesive statement over it. They don't have to spill their guts over whatever internal issues they have, but some clarity outside of limited social media responses and then deleting previous tweets would go a long way.

The bigger damage here as I see it is to the Warhammer Quest line itself. After this, a lot of people might ask why they'd bother with future WQ releases if they might be a dead product before it hits the ground. But then GW might have already decided to put the nails through the coffin lid of the line anyway, so that might never be an issue!

I think people are not understanding the difficulties of making things in a pandemic, but I'm treating non core GW games as limited run things which is why I jumped on CS. 

Though tbh it wasn't hard to get the standard version from GWs website, I bought it 30 mins after it went on sale on my phone in bed.

I just got an email from my local store where I buy my GW stuff saying my pre-order for the Crimson Court has been delayed due to a problem at Games Workshop HQ.

I'm presuming these things aren't connected.

I could see them doing it as a limited run, but if they were to do that, they'd shout it from the rooftops in the run-up to pre-order. That's what doesn't fit.

And yeah, setup for a game with 4 unique custom sprue mould (that won't be going into normal retail), 5 die-cut sheets of thick cardstock, and so on won't be cheap to tool up. The one-and-done boardgames usually have fewer components and use existing sprues or sprues that obviously will go into the main army lines at a later date, like Speed Freeks, The Horus Heresy ones, or that assassin one (Which, aside, is actually really good- Played it once and it's basically 40k metal gear). The main exception to that rule I can think of is Space Hulk 3rd edition.

Just now, Butters said:

I just got this email from my local store where I buy my GW stuff saying my pre-order for the Crimson Court has been delayed due to a problem at Games Workshop HQ.

I'm presuming these things aren't connected.

I think everything that's supposed to be out tomorrow is affected- Crimson Court, the Titanicus Stuff, All of it.

4 hours ago, Spatial said:

On the flip side someone here who works for GW (sorry mystery RLLMUK'er I forget who you are now!) did warn that if we wanted it, then now was the time to, so something was clearly in the offing for a while...

That was me, and to be absolutely clear my comment ("if you want it, buy it when you see it") was based merely on the understanding it was likely to be a busy weekend and popular product. There are enough products on the website that are selling out at release for it to be predictable now.

I know absolutely nothing at all about any decisions around future production runs, any issues this one may/may not have experienced in its run up to release or what the comms plan is or is not. But even if I did, I couldn't and wouldn't comment anyway tbh.

I was asking my friend at GW HQ about this earlier and there were some details I'm not sure I can pass on, but he said there will be more available. Can't imagine it'll appear where I live any time soon, but at least there's hope for some of you.