Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

a friend knows i like tanks and giant robots so she got me a lord of skulls for my birthday which turned up out of the blue today. that fucking thing is mental in all the best ways. No idea how i'll end up painting it.

23 hours ago, RFT said:

I've been getting well into painting Adeptus Titanicus minis in preperation for my club returning this month.

Working my way up in size. 2 reavers still to go and then I need to assemble a warbringer and warlord.

questoris.thumb.jpg.f8665373889eace75e0beae3e17af69d.jpgcerastus.thumb.jpg.9e42c07266506d28116c04ef6db7bd30.jpg

warpuppers.thumb.jpg.1ff7f0954e650f5194991a4491a23c0a.jpgs

Love it¡

I am glad I am not the only Adeptus Titanicus fan here. I look forward to hearing of you God Machine's success.

Engine Kill!

I must now get back to mine. I assembled and leadbealchered a load of Knights a while back that need a proper painting.

53 minutes ago, Aluco said:

Love it¡

I am glad I am not the only Adeptus Titanicus fan here. I look forward to hearing of you God Machine's success.

Engine Kill!

I must now get back to mine. I assembled and leadbealchered a load of Knights a while back that need a proper painting.

I'd been wanting to get into Titanicus for some time (since playing an intro game with a friend at the club in 2019 or so) but just missed out on the xmas 2018 battleforce that was kicking about and then the 2019 bundle was just knights. As soon as that new 2 reavers, 2 warhounds, and 2 knights starter came out last year it was just a matter of when - especially after going to that WHW aeronautica event last year and seeing table after table of gorgeous Titans. So I got the starter in October last year as a reward to myself for finishing the Flames of War German army (plus some bolt action bits and bobs) i'd been working on most of the year.

I honestly think the stuff in this scale (this and Aeronautica) is GW's best line of kits by a long way. So well thought out and so precise.

The Warhounds mark my first foray into airbrushing, doing the armour on the sprue.

On 10/05/2021 at 21:21, RFT said:

I've been getting well into painting Adeptus Titanicus minis in preperation for my club returning this month.

Working my way up in size. 2 reavers still to go and then I need to assemble a warbringer and warlord.

questoris.thumb.jpg.f8665373889eace75e0beae3e17af69d.jpgcerastus.thumb.jpg.9e42c07266506d28116c04ef6db7bd30.jpg

warpuppers.thumb.jpg.1ff7f0954e650f5194991a4491a23c0a.jpgs

Nice, I’ve got some in the queue to paint.  I’ve signed up for a 6 month patreon project thing to build & paint an AT force, run by my teacher Myles David and Matthew Kane (former Forge World painter) - they’re doing seminars & producing tutorials.  At the end Covid permitting the idea is to have a weekend of AT at some gaming centre in Cardiff.  The forces Myles & Matt paint will be given away to someone too.

It’s been fun watching people get underway.  So far I’ve ordered GW’s new box of Titans as it seemed the most cost effective way, and decided on Legio Krytos.

14 hours ago, Aluco said:

Another AT fan, and near by to me in Bristol too.

Maybe we should arrange a get together when this pandemic has subsided sufficiently.

I have this Legio Atarus and  House Vironii force painted up:

With more knights on the table to finish.

And I have started a Legio Fureans force with these sweet pups:

And a Warlord in progress.

I should get on with the painting.

I remember you mentioning the Fureans being WIP early last year in the run-up to the WHW event, but those Atarus are gorgeous, such a nice colour scheme.

Calling this one done, I ended up with 2 having bought one & been given one.  So because I’ve two I tried to do this on in a more speed painty way that I’d do normally - unified colour palette, more use of washes than usual.  Quite pleased with the result for 4 to 5 hours work.

7A76D9CF-66C9-432E-A21D-5331D98FF89F.thumb.jpeg.bf518cd4d37478fd4ae710411651c46b.jpeg

CA965971-0922-454A-8E3B-9BD70EA87DA4.thumb.jpeg.c8c8d9f87bc333179d09f29c232e0651.jpeg

10242DCA-D5D2-4A6D-BB81-E98E4DFE0EAF.thumb.jpeg.bbfbf73fcb993f9518231f575a2e3b6b.jpeg

6B92F534-494A-43EC-AA28-EA51A20349FD.thumb.jpeg.a6f3709ccd4371803fcd31285f6229dc.jpeg

7C0145F6-3742-4808-A853-44B56DA2917A.thumb.jpeg.cb4c233c58f98a305a6f41a638b9b21e.jpeg

Also, how long does GW take to ship?  I order some stuff 1.5 weeks ago, still no shipping notification.

2 hours ago, The Bag said:

Also, how long does GW take to ship?  I order some stuff 1.5 weeks ago, still no shipping notification.

If you ordered a week and a half ago I think that was during the warehouse shutdown (which there were banners across the site for), so it may be snarled up.

Customer service contacts are here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Contact-Us#customerservices

If you wait until Monday, the livechat should be up and running during office hours and someone will be able to help you out. Otherwise, drop them an email.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That’s not normal. I ordered some paints recently which took less than a week. Although I guess it depends on the order contents?

some paints

34 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

If you ordered a week and a half ago I think that was during the warehouse shutdown (which there were banners across the site for), so it may be snarled up.

Customer service contacts are here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Contact-Us#customerservices

If you wait until Monday, the livechat should be up and running during office hours and someone will be able to help you out. Otherwise, drop them an email.

thanks, dude

The AT stuff here warms my heart. has there been any rumblings from GW on a Space Marine / Epic reboot? That would be a GW game I could get behind.

Well this is pretty much the stake through the heart of any hope for Cursed City

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/16/sunday-preview-soulblight-space-marines-and-the-scions-of-mars/

Everything there for the Soulblight was clearly originally CC expansion related. If everything's been tooled up and produced then it must have been something within the IP that sent this spinning off into oblivion. A meaty lawsuit with superinjunction to stop them talking about it? (love a good conspiracy theory).

Whinge time - I wasn't too bothered up until this, but it's now left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. It's the first GW boxed thing I've bought in a very long time and it will probably be the last given that this was written and touted as an ongoing, so I expected it to get more support.

Does that take away from owning and playing the base game? Well no, in the sense of I still have it and can play it whenever I want. But also yes given the ending of the game shows it was part of a bigger story and ends in a cliffhanger (now spoiled by GW in a bid to dump the IP and erase it from history - how messed up is that you go to the extent of wrapping the ending in a sealed box, only to then go on and spoil it knowing that people might not even have had a chance to get it to the table, let alone finish it, yet?)

I guess I'm so miffed because this is a really cool theme and pretty unique, and now we won't get any more (although I'm tempted to homebrew some more scenarios using the new models...hmm...)

I know GW won't care as they're busy making money hand over fist, but I can't see me supporting them again for any boxed game releases. I've nothing else available to me as a single, tiny voice in the crowd but to vote with my wallet.

After what I've seen with CC there's better places to sink my money in this day and age, but I can't help but be a little sad about having to do that.

The rumour I've heard to do with Cursed City is it's cardboard & brexit tariff related.  Something like the cardboard is manufactured or printed abroad and there's enough of it to tip in into the tariffs, apparently they're now looking at setting things up here to do the part that's causing issues in this country. 

I still think it's more than the cardboard issue.

If it was a case of finding a UK supplier for that, or doing that  in house, they would have over 12 months to try and sort it before people started asking questions about launching an expansion.  They could have even just stalled for time and just pushed the expansions on.

Completely binning the core aspect and line altogether off the back of that just doesn't fit to me, especially now we know the models were so far developed that they could actually get them out in around a month. Given what they revealed I would have expected all those characters to be set across several expansions over 2-3 years like Blackstone Fortress.

But I don't have shareholders to answer to and a business to run, so all this is easy for me to point at things and say "I would do X..."

Crazy conspiracy theory I've just made up for fun;

Spoiler

A giant with a 'monopoly' in board games is relaunching a franchise this year. They've sued GW for something contained in CC and also hit them with an injunction to stop any negative press which could end up with GW fans boycotting their nostalgia fest (seeing as it was a big deal for them in the way they funded it).

They tempted GW to sign the injunction by saying they could shift all their existing produced stock and use the vampire designs but absolutely no separate hero releases from the CC box ever if that was the bit that they claim was an infringement (which is why you're not seeing heroes as a stand alone release like the villains).

:omg:

/straightjacket and tin foil hat

I think it's nothing more serious or sinister than the game slipping because of the evident cock-up with the dwarf backpack part, being discovered late (after all the marketing assets were done) leading to the thing having to use extra production time, tooling cost and possible getting re-packed, at a point that all sorts of stuff was already running late. 

Then with the 2021 production schedule dominated by AoS 3rd ed, they've had to drop something to get things back on track, and with WHQ being a more complex / expensive product to produce than most, that's what's been dropped in favour of bigger sellers. The problem being that this wasn't communicated down the chain to the comms team who were, right up until Launch week, working off the information and assets they'd been given or created to use for the planned xmas 2020 launch.

In April, we saw a big drop of stuff (Cursed City, the Warmaster titan, That Titanicus bundle) that was surely intended for xmas 2020. GW will feel they need to make sure that Covid-induced production delays don't end up also affecting xmas 2021, which means doing everything they can to get everything back on track by summer. (They're racing now to get the Season 4 underworlds warbands out as well so that can go back to a September season change) In that scenario, I can see why future runs of CC and its expansions would be an easy option to be sacrificed.

I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that no expansions are coming because some models that aren't confirmed as being in the unannounced expansions are being released alongside the appropriate battletome hitting the shelves having been announced a few weeks earlier.

For a start, a model being available does not preclude it from being in an expansion.

I though Kritza was one that had been shown off as part of CC but people remarked was missing from the final release?  And Radikar's final form release is one hell of a way to spoil your own plot twist in an expansion that could be some way off.

You're right though, it doesn't stop them at all but it would be a weird way of doing it. At least it would be if everything wasn't weird already with Covid delays as @RFT highlighted.

I'll happily eat my hat* if it turns out we're getting more stuff, but right now I'm too busy pulling a big man-child pouty face in a right old strop. :D

*Please note I don't wear, or even own, a hat.

1 hour ago, Spatial said:

I though Kritza was one that had been shown off as part of CC but people remarked was missing from the final release?  And Radikar's final form release is one hell of a way to spoil your own plot twist in an expansion that could be some way off.

You're right though, it doesn't stop them at all but it would be a weird way of doing it. At least it would be if everything wasn't weird already with Covid delays as @RFT highlighted.

I'll happily eat my hat* if it turns out we're getting more stuff, but right now I'm too busy pulling a big man-child pouty face in a right old strop. :D

*Please note I don't wear, or even own, a hat.

Kritza and Lady Annika were both revealed as being from Ulfenkarn, but are also Soulblight Vampires, which is the new faction being launched. I don't believe they were ever specifically revealed as being in the final release or as part of an expansion though?

I've got hats I'll lend you ;)

Ah! That might be where that confusion's come from.

People saw mention of Ulfenkarn and assumed they were Cursed City related by default, as it was pre-launch. I've read those comments and just assumed that was the case. :doh:

One of the main problems for GW is that their communication on it has been abysmal. Basically stuck their fingers in their ears and shouted loudly. A large chunk of the chat on Twitch during Warhammer Fest was people asking about it. I didn't expect them to answer it there, but how would they have dealt with it if Warhammer Fest had been the normal in-person event they have each year?

Unless they are unable to talk about it for legal reasons, which arguably does give some credence to the various theories I've heard about being pulled up by another company, even an acknowledgement and saying they were working on the situation would have been better. The radio silence has caused more annoyance and frustration than anything.

More sisters, just have the Seraphim to do next then that's the box. I've been looking online for alternative flying stands but can't find any I like so any suggestions welcome.

Currently on sisters shame pile:

10 more regular sisters

Immolator

Imagifier

2 mortifiers

Then I'm thinking of getting more tanks and the heavy weapon team

PXL_20210517_150640183~2.jpg

1 hour ago, Butters said:

One of the main problems for GW is that their communication on it has been abysmal. Basically stuck their fingers in their ears and shouted loudly. A large chunk of the chat on Twitch during Warhammer Fest was people asking about it. I didn't expect them to answer it there, but how would they have dealt with it if Warhammer Fest had been the normal in-person event they have each year?

Unless they are unable to talk about it for legal reasons, which arguably does give some credence to the various theories I've heard about being pulled up by another company, even an acknowledgement and saying they were working on the situation would have been better. The radio silence has caused more annoyance and frustration than anything.

That's the main thing. You'd expect the stonewalling from pre-2015 GW but in the last few years GW have been much better at comms, and reactive to community unhappiness (such as with extra runs of indomitus). This all seems frustratingly out of recent character.

Thanks, but let me tell you - all credit to contrast paints. That Skull? White base coat + one coat of Skeleton Horde straight from the pot. The cloth? Grey base coat, dry brush of Morghast Bone, 50/50 Gryph Hound Orange and Flesh Tearers Red contrast paints over the top. On the top one I’ve added some further highlights, but none yet on the bottom one and it looks fine. 

Basically, I just followed this, with some tweaks:

Just saying, there’s less skill here than you might think. So do post your efforts. Everyone here is very supportive, and we all learn from each other.