Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

They look smoother blended because the photos are out of focus.

I've been working flat out on these, seven days a week, 10-12 hours a day.  I suspect that they are still crap.

It absolutely boggles my mind that that has got 6900 likes now.  :blink:

I have terrible imposter syndrome, and every ounce of confidence I appear to show is faked.  I ended up driving the whole army commission to the Siege offices because I didn't trust Royal Mail not to lose or damage it, and I wanted to meet James and everyone there.  I got to ogle a load of the stuff the other painters have done and it was all amazing and made me feel like a fool if I ever believed I belonged in such company.  I'm confused by the number of likes, I kind of feel like I've got away with something or that the photography is making it look good.  I'm worried that the flaws in the rest of the army that are so obvious to me are the reason this is the only part that has been posted.  They don't feel like something I did.

But jesus...  6900 likes.  WTF?

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I have terrible imposter syndrome, and every ounce of confidence I appear to show is faked.  I ended up driving the whole army commission to the Siege offices because I didn't trust Royal Mail not to lose or damage it, and I wanted to meet James and everyone there.  I got to ogle a load of the stuff the other painters have done and it was all amazing and made me feel like a fool if I ever believed I belonged in such company.  I'm confused by the number of likes, I kind of feel like I've got away with something or that the photography is making it look good.  I'm worried that the flaws in the rest of the army that are so obvious to me are the reason this is the only part that has been posted.  They don't feel like something I did.

You are very good. And it is clear to see for everyone.

But you see where you could be better. That is not a flaw but a strength.

Chase it. It is the only way to live.

12 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Shame those likes don't turn into cash for you. Got to say your post about the amount of time you put into them worried me a little. It doesn't seem sustainable.

So my late GW order, I got an email yesterday:

We have encountered a stock error with one or more items on your order causing a delay with the standard dispatch times from our warehouse.

The following items are currently out of stock and may be unavailable for a little while, whilst we arrange a restock in our warehouse.

99189950127 B:LUPRCAL/GREEN 12ML

I am sorry to say we do not have visibility on restock times with our manufacturing plant so it may be longer than 10 days until a restock occurs.

Things are sorted & everything else is on it’s way, and I’ve got some Lupercal Green from elsewhere.  But if you need that colour maybe grab it now.

Thanks guys.

Yeah you're right, it's obvious that any number of Instagram points is really just a symptom of Siege's success, I know that. When I post it on my own I'll be lucky to get 50 likes. It's amazing to me that so many people have seen and enjoyed my work though, even if they're responding more to the logo, the edge-highlighted GW style, and the type of model it is.  :)

10 hours ago, The Bag said:

So my late GW order, I got an email yesterday:

Things are sorted & everything else is on it’s way, and I’ve got some Lupercal Green from elsewhere.  But if you need that colour maybe grab it now.

Ah yes, Lupercal Green has been out of stock for a while, since Cursed City came out I think - it’s used in the GW scheme for the Ulfenwatch 

They look really cool!  I actually think the drybrushing on the armour works really well. It gives it an old, weathered look. The red is really dramatic, and the bone looks really bone-like.

I like the colour composition too in general, the metal contrasting with the bright red. The gold details on the shields could maybe stand out a touch more - I'm guessing you drybrushed silver on to highlight it, which isn't a bad way to highlight gold, but it fades into the silver a bit. Not really a problem though, you can still see the gold, and it's still adding some variety.  The one thing I might do to them if I had painted them would be to thing how I could add a small amount of green somewhere. Perhaps either as small spots of gravemoss on the spear blades and armour? Bright glowing green eyes might work, but would be hard to pull off. Colour theory would suggest that a tiny bit of green would make the red pop even more, and break up the silver/grey/bone areas.

As I say though, they look brilliant!  Especially for a first attempt in 30 years.  :o

🍆

Thanks 😀

Make sense with the green (and why Lupercal Green was used in the offical pics and like @Davros sock drawer did with his).  I think in my head it's always "Well you want a black colour so just use black paint" when there's clearly more to it than that to make sure everything pulls together.

I think I might get some Lupercal and try it for the Watch Captain. These have been so much fun to paint I'm probably going to pick up the box set and do some more at some point, so will have plenty of skelly's to experiment on.

1 hour ago, Spatial said:

Thanks 😀

Make sense with the green (and why Lupercal Green was used in the offical pics and like @Davros sock drawer did with his).  I think in my head it's always "Well you want a black colour so just use black paint" when there's clearly more to it than that to make sure everything pulls together.

I think I might get some Lupercal and try it for the Watch Captain. These have been so much fun to paint I'm probably going to pick up the box set and do some more at some point, so will have plenty of skelly's to experiment on.

Actually I couldn't get it either. I substituted Incubi Darkness mixed with Kabalite Green. 

4 hours ago, Spatial said:

*Deep breath*... okay, here we go, apologies in advance for janking up this thread. These are my first attempts at painting in close to 30 years.

IMG_20210522_190736.thumb.jpg.9844e3c4ff5d98d1184df9fec6ba3e14.jpg

13 year old me would have thought I was some kind of wizard producing something like this (wish I'd kept my efforts from back then but I remember superglue everywhere, non-thinned paints - they were not good).

There's parts on these I like and parts that are bloody awful, but I've learnt quite a bit. Including don't think dry brushing is the best way forward and edge highlighting is not something to necessarily be afraid of (doing it well is another thing entirely tho).

I had been more concerned with just getting paint on in a respectable fashion and staying neat, so I underestimated colour inclusion quite a bit. I'm really not happy with the shield rims being plain metal as it blends into the rest of the armour. Gold would have broken it up from being a mass of steel, but it seemed too ostentatious for the theme of dead city guard.

I might see if I can get some copper / bronze effect on the rims to break it up a bit.

These look really good! and most importantly, neat. I spent ages trying to run before I could walk, attempting wet blends and edge highlights etc. I'd have been better off practicing getting a smooth and neat finish, which you've achieved here.

I have a couple of tips if you don't mind?

The base rims - these look a bit lumpy. I would heartily recommend the mould line remover tool from GW. all you do is run it around the base rim, and it removes all the grit and mess so that when you put your black paint on it looks super smooth.

Another good investment is Nihilakh Oxide for a verdigris effect on armour, and Ryza Rust for, well...rust. However, thinned down Mournfang brown is a good substitute for rust, and any bright bluey green could work for verdigris. 

Adding stuff like that also means you could actually go for a bright gold on some of the shield detailing, because the rust and verdigris effects (plus maybe a wash of Agrax or Nuln oil) would bring it all together. I didn't use any verdigris here, but hopefully can see how a bit of brown rust breaks up the sea of sliver - but you can also go in and add a bright edge highlight of the original silver on any bits you want to look sharp.

IMG_8827.thumb.jpg.dabcedcc8a25732543867480da7ee6de.jpg

Here I've used a bit more shading and green in the recesses to blend the bronze and silver together, so it hopefully just reads as "rusty old spear and shield":

1a.thumb.jpg.ab008fe69689e316db84c612878d9100.jpg

Finally, don't be ashamed to use Contrast paints! I honestly don't think I could paint a skull any better than simply applying one coat of Skeleton Horde over Corax White. You can still highlight it up a bit more afterwards, but honestly I don't bother (although I was a bit heavy handed with it here, so I may re-do the back of his head). Because of the way it dries, it naturally pulls away from edges, giving you an automatic highlight. I love the stuff. It does give quite a warm brown coloured bone which some people might not like, but it works for me. 

It can also calm down, or bring together over-enthusiastic edge highlights. I've been a bit clumsy with the leather straps here, but instead of tidying them up and trying again, what I'll probably do is go even brighter, then do one coat of contrast paint to bring it all together again.

Hark at me giving advice after being in the hobby for about 9 months. :lol: 

Seriously though, they're really good for your first minis in 30 years. You've got the neatness down, now it's about making them look extra cool in any way you want. 

Thanks and no worries, all feedback is really gratefully received. 😀

Good shout with the rims. They were just a straight dip in aquarium sand / gravel with PVA and I was so concerned with the tops that I didn't even consider cleaning around them too (I think I also forgot to thin the black paint which has made it thick and streaky - 13 year old me is still in there somewhere with the un-thinned paints!).

Contrast paints - Skeleton Horde just doesn't seem to come out right for me, it's always dark, flat and really pale. I put all my paints in droppers and I wonder if I made a n00b mistake of not shaking that up before I decanted it out. I've tried adding some contrast medium but it doesn't seem to help. So I'm also wondering if it's more to do with the grey base coat that's causing the dulling effect? I'll need to try it on a straight white which will hopefully brighten it up and bring the yellow bone hue out a bit more (I managed to get around it with some highlighting for now).

The red is also Blood Angel Red contrast, but that was a bit of a mistake as a 1:1 with Gryph-Hound Orange would have given more of the rich colour I was expecting.

Got some more Contrast ones here and I need to play around a bit more. I might do the Vargyskyr next to break up painting all that bone and metal.  Be interesting to see how they fair on fur and something with a lot of texture.

47 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Got some more Contrast ones here and I need to play around a bit more. I might do the Vargyskyr next to break up painting all that bone and metal.  Be interesting to see how they fair on fur and something with a lot of texture.

Fur is one of the best applications for them, it just looks great. Whenever I’ve used it I’ve thought “this looks fab, but I wonder how it’d look if I painted extra highlights on the tips”, and it always looks scruffier than the single coat of contrast! 

This guy has extra highlights on his fur, and I wish I’d left it:

FDFB4C87-8BA6-4336-8903-AD82B4B7199F.thumb.jpeg.e3751f2ed16eb9538edb957a62dc687b.jpeg

You can see the green I was talking about on the blade there as well. 

21 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Signed up to Septembers London GT, my first tournament. 

scary!

Awesome. What are you going to field ? Necrons?

I've got a decent number of months to get some practice in but considering I am doing the friday evening + the full weekend its a huge undertaking.

Good luck!  How many points per game? Are you expected to run the same list each game? Did you have to qualify or can anyone enter? 
I’ve no idea how tournaments work.