IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I thought when I saw it that it might be one of the Gal Vorbak, but not only is it one of them, it's Argel Tal, one of my favourite characters from the Horus Heresy books.  He gets his soul bonded to a daemon, but retains some of his nobility, wisdom, and compassion. He becomes a trusted friend to Kharn the Betrayer even as his armour fuses to his body and he sprouts demonic wings.

I managed to snag a still sealed AoS Core Book for €12. That's better than 1994 prices, especially considering the size of the thing.

In other news: I'm probably getting into AoS.

1 hour ago, And said:

You know there’s a new edition coming out in like a weeks time though right?

No. lol. I'd figured as much, though.

Nevermind, I'm sure it'll get me started.

There was an hour wait to get on the gw store this morning, managed to get one of the new plain macfarlane hellblasters. 

(this does not count as a miniatures purchase)

The AoS Core Book turned up today. What an absolute belter it is.

I also managed to find a pack of Ossiarch Bonereaper dice at a hobby shop in Germany for €20. So that's my army choice locked in, then. Now I just need to concoct a colour scheme.

I'm really hoping I can stick to just one army...

13 hours ago, Fallows said:

The AoS Core Book turned up today. What an absolute belter it is.

I also managed to find a pack of Ossiarch Bonereaper dice at a hobby shop in Germany for €20. So that's my army choice locked in, then. Now I just need to concoct a colour scheme.

I'm really hoping I can stick to just one army...

Good choice for swift painting too. You can cover most of them quite easily and then focus on the fun stuff.

Classic Method: Zandri Dust spray followed by a Seraphim Sepia wash is a solid start. Highlight with Ushabti Bone and then Screaming skull.

Contrast Method (Super quick): Wraithbone spray. Skeleton Horde over that. (Maybe create a pot with a 1:1 mix of Skeleton Horde and Contrast Medium if you prefer a lighter bone shade).

Then you can just spend your time on the armour and weapons which is more fun. And that is probably mostly where your colour choices will be your own.

Don't forget to come and show us how you get on. I look forward to seeing what colours you choose.

2 hours ago, Aluco said:

Classic Method: Zandri Dust spray followed by a Seraphim Sepia wash is a solid start. Highlight with Ushabti Bone and then Screaming skull.

Cheers for the tips. Funny - I was thinking exactly that for the classic meth already.

Wraithbone spray all over and skeleton horde contrast. 
It is amazing, best contrast paint there is. 
drybrush screaming skull if you’re feeling fancy. 

I picked up a pot of the stuff yesterday when buying them dice. It's not yet mentioned on any of the GW schemes, I don't think. But it made logical sense to get some when looking at the colour through the pot.

It's going to be a while before I do any painting. I don't even have any brushes, tools or minis yet. Loads of stuff I need is still out of stock over here and I don't think Brexit has helped things much, but even stuff produced in Germany is hard to find actually within Germany itself. Even the desk and organisation items I want from bloody Ikea are all OOS. 6400K Philips lightbulbs are the same - I could get a box of six dodgy/no-brand ones but I don't need that many, so I might as well just wait and drip feed everything else in as and when. I just managed to grab what I presume to be the very last 250ml bottle of Jo Sonja's Magic Mix in mainland Europe, so that's my glazing needs out the way.

My set of Kimera Kolors should be here by July (which will be reserved for centerpieces - and maybe straight Phthalo Green PG7 for my OBR shields) and I also backed the recent RGG Everlasting Wet Palette 2 KS. That will arrive by October. 

15 minutes ago, Nicky said:

i havent tried wraitbone yet. any good?

Loads better than grey seer. 

Its warmer, but it’s lighter, so you get better contrast. 
Though I’ve found the contrast works just as well over white spray despite what GW say. 

6 hours ago, And said:

Loads better than grey seer. 

Its warmer, but it’s lighter, so you get better contrast. 
Though I’ve found the contrast works just as well over white spray despite what GW say. 

I agree. Though my usual style is on the warmer side.

I think the difference is that the sprays aimed at contrast paints have a smoother finish, so the contrast paints over them separate more than they do over the normal base sprays. More contrast is the result. The downside is the adherence is reduced, so handling can rub your contrast paints of the edges you touch. Handle lightly and minimally. Then varnish to protect your work.

When it comes to the Wraithbone in a pot, I think it is one of GW's weaker paints. It has a funny consistency, watery and slick in a way that is less easy to handle than the near equivalents like Ushabti Bone and Screaming Skull. I use it only for touch up where my contrast paints have spread too far. And even there I am unsure if it is the best way to get a result.

Actually haven’t used it in a pot. If I need to touch up or fill in I use pallid wych flesh. Doesn’t seem to make much difference once the contrast paint is on over the top. 

On 13/06/2021 at 15:04, And said:

Fuck you, blood bowl. 

0897782D-75F3-4A1A-AAF7-E82F5703E76D.jpeg

Last move of the match. All I need is to go for it to score and draw the game. Anything but a 1. ED4E7C87-1F90-4439-8A71-A05F9CA71AC4.thumb.jpeg.a3fbc85cbd10bd8741ba7c71c09ed317.jpeg

fuck you, bloodbowl. 

Guy at my gaming club organised a mass purchase of he 40k mini rulebook, so I'm picking one up for $25AU next week.  Looking forward to it. 

Also, this:

Word on the street is they're also going to have access to all classic White Dwarfs.  I'm in just for that.

10 hours ago, Mikes said:

Guy at my gaming club organised a mass purchase of he 40k mini rulebook, so I'm picking one up for $25AU next week.  Looking forward to it. 

Also, this:

Word on the street is they're also going to have access to all classic White Dwarfs.  I'm in just for that.

All that's been announced is the 2020 White Dwarf lineup. 

Hence the 'word on the street'. What is certain is that a lot of the sites hosting old WD issues have been taken down the last two years. A guy on another forum had a whole, word-searchable library online for all 90s WDs and he received a cease and desist letter from GW telling him to take it down last year. It's almost asif they didn't want competition for something.

I wonder if they’ll put online the pre-WD100 where they covered lots of non-GW games.

(They released a DVD with the first ten years of White Dwarf magazines about 20 years ago. They may only have releases it in Australia (not sure why I think that). 

I managed to buy a copy from an D&D collecting forum about 15 years ago.)

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

I still find it utterly baffling that GW won’t release Blitz Bowl here. It looks so good. It’s annoying, actually, and makes zero sense. Such an odd company at times.

Yeah this is super annoying, although 7’s is going down very well with my 9 year old, especially as he’s kicking my arse most of the time.