Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

my mate has all the original white dwarfs - the first 300 or so on a HDD.  its like a time machine.

My brother owns paper copies of every issue since 93 (the issue, not the year). 

I've found torrents of them up to 2014. It's so odd reading them again. The prices! 30 marines, two Landraiders and three Rhinos for less than £30. I can actually remember being annoyed when they changed the Rhinos from being £9.99 for a box of three to £5.99 each. Ork Dread for £2.99. Metal minis for 99p. Boxed games were £19.99. 

Nipped up to a newsagent up the road who stocks Mortal Realms, as the latest issue had The Craven King, and I quite fancied giving it a go on the painting front.

Usually they've got them in the window, but there was nothing when I arrived. I asked the newsagent and he said some guy came in and bought three, then another came in and bought the rest. In other words, likely scalpers.

Hachette are sold out, and a quick look on eBay shows them up there for nearly twice the price already. 

I hate scalpers!

12 hours ago, Butters said:

Nipped up to a newsagent up the road who stocks Mortal Realms, as the latest issue had The Craven King, and I quite fancied giving it a go on the painting front.

Usually they've got them in the window, but there was nothing when I arrived. I asked the newsagent and he said some guy came in and bought three, then another came in and bought the rest. In other words, likely scalpers.

Hachette are sold out, and a quick look on eBay shows them up there for nearly twice the price already. 

I hate scalpers!

Have you tried Forbidden Planet online? I think it's an extra couple of pounds for them to send you it but is still worth it if the model is £20 or so. I did with Typhus.

Edited by martingee

Checked and they didn't have any sadly. However they did have a section for it, so at least I know it's another option going forward.

Has a release date for Imperium ever been confirmed by Hachette?

Went round my mum and dad's this afternoon. 

My dad asked me to fix the catch on the loft hatch while I was there. 

During the course of the usual "no, don't do it like that" conversation, my dad mentioned most of the stuff in the loft is my brothers and he's been trying to get him to shift it out for more than a decade. 

Went up and had a look. I found:

Heroquest 

1st edition Space Hulk

3rd Edition Blood Bowl with Dungeonbowl 

Advanced Space Crusade 

1st edition Adeptus Titanicus 

1st edition Space Marine / Epic with the Orks boxed army on bases and a Squat army box where 95% is still on the sprues

2nd edition 40k

Mighty Fortress 

I reckon there should be a Dark Future and Space Crusade somewhere as well. And there should be at least on other edition of 40k.

Now, from the bits I saw, they're all minus the minis from the sets. But I spoke to my brother and he has a box of "stuff", which he reckons could contain a good few of what's missing. Going to sort through everything next Sunday and see what could be worth selling. 

The problem is the lack of minis. And dice. They all got repurposed for 40k or Fantasy. But the boxes all seem in good nick, if a bit dusty. I reckon they all have the rules and cardboard bits, so someone might want them. 

I'll get pics to post next week. 

16 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Mighty Fortress 

Even with all the choices with MDF and printable scenery nowadays, I would love one of these.  Nostalgia prices are stupid high, though.

From Fauxhammer:

Warhammer Imperium Magazine Issue 1 will be released in the UK on August 25th 2021. Issue 1 will be on the shelves for 2 weeks before Issue 2 is released. from Issue 2 onwards the magazine will come out weekly.

53 minutes ago, Mikes said:

Even with all the choices with MDF and printable scenery nowadays, I would love one of these.  Nostalgia prices are stupid high, though.

I haven't checked to see if there's anything more than the castle itself in the box (I doubt the doors and ladders will have survived), but I suspect this'll be the first thing we sell. 

3 hours ago, And said:

Thinking of having a bit of a clear out - would anyone be interested in either Ad-mech Or knights before I start eBaying ?

I really shouldn't, but I might do.  What have you got?

9 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I really shouldn't, but I might do.  What have you got?

They’re all painted If that makes a difference
1 knight, magnetised with all weapon options. 
2 helverins

1 warglaive 

a tech priest dominus and enginseer

2 Kastelan robots, magnetised for all weapons, and the dude that comes with them

A dunerider/disintegrator - magnetised so can be set up as either and both weapons 

a dunecrawler with option for laser or Icarus array 
some skitaari. Would need to count. 15 maybe? Mix of rangers and vanguard 

Kind of wondering whether to stick it all on eBay as an army as i don’t really want to sell it piecemeal as I’ll end up with just bits left. 

There’s little chance of me playing much 40K in the foreseeable so I’m now at the same part of the cycle when I sold my DG army a few years ago where I could just do with clearing out some stuff as the pile of shame is massive. 

Don’t worry - I’ll still have 3 armies once this lot is gone! I’d need to figure out how to broach the “meeting up with strangers off the internet to play warhammer” conversation with my wife. 

Actually. Having looked at what’s there I think I’m going to box it up smaller and store it for now, as my son was very unhappy at the idea of not getting to play with these when he’s bigger. I kind of regret selling my last army - well mortarion, as that was one of the best things I’d painted. 
maybe I should just sit the knight on my desk so I can bask in the glory of its adequate paint job. 

Sorry for clogging thread. Sometimes I feel a bit crushed by the weight of all the stuff in my house and want to get rid of everything apart from an iPad and a bike

5 hours ago, And said:

Sometimes I feel a bit crushed by the weight of all the stuff in my house and want to get rid of everything apart from an iPad and a bike

This is me. I’m constantly throwing away or donating shit that’s sat in boxes for 5 years. If I haven’t opened the box in years then it’s clearly not sparking joy

Yeah, I was just looking  at it all and thinking “why do I own this?” But I’ve gone through and condensed loads of it down into sensible storage and so now it takes up a third less space and I feel better.
I’m a big fan of a clear out - i’d much rather somebody else had use of something rather than it gathering dust. 

5 hours ago, And said:

Actually. Having looked at what’s there I think I’m going to box it up smaller and store it for now, as my son was very unhappy at the idea of not getting to play with these when he’s bigger. I kind of regret selling my last army - well mortarion, as that was one of the best things I’d painted. 
maybe I should just sit the knight on my desk so I can bask in the glory of its adequate paint job. 

Sorry for clogging thread. Sometimes I feel a bit crushed by the weight of all the stuff in my house and want to get rid of everything apart from an iPad and a bike

That's okay, I think admech are worth keeping, not least because they are the most 40K faction in the game.  I reckon they are the most visually interesting models GW do.  I had decided against buying them off you anyway after reading that thread about compulsive spending and thinking about the boxes of plastic I already have stacked up.  Instead of getting rid of stuff, I tend to just come up with more efficient ways of storing it all.  :unsure:

The last thing I painted was Mortarion. What a model that is.  I didn't realise how amazing it was until I got elbows deep in him.  There's so much detail that I kept finding more and more bits I'd missed. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to show you guys soon. I can't post anything until it appears in my artist folder from Siege. The Titanicus stuff I painted hasn't appeared yet, which makes me wonder if they didn't like it.  I did pass the probation period though, so I'm officially one of their artists.

Woo congrats! Is this officially the day job now?

Mortarion took me like 3 months to do. 

I agree with you on ad mech, but it would be the easiest to get rid of as I’ve only about 20 infantry and a few other bits. But at the mo they’re the only faction that can really take a knight (which is why I started accumulating them). 
I think it was a matter of days between finishing painting my knight to go with my marines infantry and 9th edition coming out and totally changing the way detachments and CP works. :doh: 

At present marines are still my first choice army to play with. But ad-mech are the coolest looking by miles. I’d just need a fair few new bits to make them viable in a game I think. 

2 hours ago, And said:

Woo congrats! Is this officially the day job now?

Mortarion took me like 3 months to do. 

I agree with you on ad mech, but it would be the easiest to get rid of as I’ve only about 20 infantry and a few other bits. But at the mo they’re the only faction that can really take a knight (which is why I started accumulating them). 
I think it was a matter of days between finishing painting my knight to go with my marines infantry and 9th edition coming out and totally changing the way detachments and CP works. :doh: 

At present marines are still my first choice army to play with. But ad-mech are the coolest looking by miles. I’d just need a fair few new bits to make them viable in a game I think. 

Yeah, it's the only job I have at the moment! Mortarion took me about three weeks, but that's painting for full days.  I'm having to find ways to paint quicker, and to a higher level than I have done before, but it's going well so far.  You can get a lot done if you paint for eight hours a day even if you're as slow as me.  I'm hammering through my audiobook and podcast backlog as well. Mortarion accompanied me through Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Nightlords trilogy. What an incredible series that is. Still my favourite 40K books I've read.  

I think it might be the first time I've had a job that was genuinely enjoyable. I loved painting Mortarion, listening to Xarl's duel with the Genesis Chapter's Champion (no spoilers).  I mean, left to my own devices I'd be doing that anyway.  I get to stay at home and spend time with my family.  There's going to be times when it's a grind, painting huge armies (and holy shit you should see my next job) but as long as I can make it work financially it's alright.