rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Yeah! They don't do it anymore, do they? :lol:

I used to hate painting the models, and loved playing the game. I knew all the rules to all of the main games :o

Yes they do. They don't sell the boxed game, but you can buy the rulebook and the miniatures from the online store.

Necromunda is actually very well-liked. I once heard a conspiracy theory (:wub:) about how the only reason it isn't promoted is GW's own self interest - Necro is, after all, a totally self-contained and pretty much limitless game that only requires a one-time investment of about fifty quid.

I have quite a few GW games... Block Mania & Megamania, 1st and 2nd editions of Blood Bowl and so on/

My pride and joy though is my Talisman collection. First edition, which has black & white Adventure card artwork. Two complete Second Edition sets, with full colour cards. All the Second Edition expansions (Expansion, Adventure, Dungeon, Timescape, City)... except the incredibly expensive Dragons.

Yup, I have all the Talisman games too - apart from Dragons! My brother was busy looking on ebay for a copy of it...christ alive it's very, very expensive.

Actually, I popped into GW today...As expected the (very) enthusiastic sales person greeted me and chatted away merrily for bloody ages. But he didn't smell, and he was actually pleasant enough, so that was good.

Um...he did his job though - although I'd intended to pick up anyways, he did encourage to buy a copy of the 40k rulebook...not that I'll probably ever get around to playing again, but it's got some lovely artwork and models etc.

All in all the experience hasn't changed at all - still very in your face, but hey - I've worked in retail all my life, if I could bottle up that enthusiasm and give it to some of my staff, then I'd be raking it in!

Right then...time to see if my paints are alive.

Yes they do. They don't sell the boxed game, but you can buy the rulebook and the miniatures from the online store.

Necromunda is actually very well-liked. I once heard a conspiracy theory (:wub:) about how the only reason it isn't promoted is GW's own self interest - Necro is, after all, a totally self-contained and pretty much limitless game that only requires a one-time investment of about fifty quid.

That does make sense though...

Ooh! A lot of my old paints seem to be living still! What's suprising is that this little lot are from my earlier attempts to get back into the whole hobby, so we're looking at about 15 years old!

Infact, a couple of the inks are from the original release batch - so we're talking 20 years!

Bloody hell.

Right I'm back to report on my visit to GW :( Went to the Stockport branch this afternoon one which looks quite big from the outside but once through the door I was surprised just how small it actually was. It was packed with kids and guys with beards. No prizes for guessing which had the best painted miniatures! I can understand why some people were quite put off by the sales staff. The moment I was through the door an assistant literally climbed over a pile of gamers/painters to get to me. Was actually surprised just how much knowledge he had.

Usually when I go to the likes of a PC shop you always end up with some smart arse sales clerk who pretends to know what they are talking about but once you scratch at the surface it all falls away. Not with the guy who came to help and the one who spoke to me from behind the till. Both seemed to have an encyclopedic knowledge about everything! :D

They helped me picked some extra paints, brushes and even tools to help me get started. I was even swayed into buying a painting marines book (pictured) which on closer inspection includes information on everything from undercoating to terrain modelling. Impressive stuff.

Anyway I thought I would take a couple of snapshots to show off what I bought. The first is basically everything I purchased. Grand total of £92. I was a bit annoyed by the price of the plastic cutters at £8, when I asked the guy to throw in any extras he thought necessary I never bothered to check the price. Worth about a fiver max at best and I would have been happier to buy them elsewhere or use a set of cutters I have from work:

pict2268tu0.jpg

The second is the contents of the Macragge box which is basically the ideal starter set for those getting into 40K. I went for the Hobby edition as this includes a load of paints and a brush. The pictures dont do the thing justice, despite there only seeming to be a few things there, they are pretty large:

pict2269is2.jpg

Not had chance to read the instructions or inserts yet. Not even sure what that red thingy is :lol:

I need to work out just how I'm going to do the undercoat first as I just dont have an open space. One handy tip from the included guides is to put a bit of paper down then place a wine box on it. Followed by putting the miniatures inside and doing the spraying that way. Hopefully I wont pass out from the fumes!

Overall I found the staff to be quite helpful in GW and have to say I didnt find it off putting. I may even venture into the large store in Manchester at some point as from what I remember 10 years ago they have loads of extra space on the shop floor. Shelves filled with various goodies.

Tip - if you have access to them via a Model Centre or equivalent, seek out some Vallejo brand paints. They are significantly cheaper than the Citadel ones (around £1.50 a bottle) and are excellent quality. They also come in a dropper bottle so you don't have to waste any.

I got the Vallejo boxed set and its proper amazing. Vellejo + GW inks and metallics makes for awesome painting. Add some Winsor and Newton series 7 kolinsky brushes for some serious paintage.

I had a sweet imperial guard army, they kicked ass, but they were totally shit in actual battles, space marines won every time, but imperial guard looked so cool. Particullarly Commisar Yarrick. I had some sweet ass big tanks aswell.

Last time i saw my army was about 6 months ago they were in a box all crushed up and fucked up, think maybe they got chucked. Allthough i did keep this guy and i use him as my piece when i play monopoly :(

2.jpg

such a geek thing.

Did you paint that Yarrick? Cos it's pretty sweet!

Had a few of the plastic Warhammer miniatures that I painted, but was never really into painting.

Tell you another GW thing I really liked - Combat Cards. Used to spend hours of my school lunchtimes playing, one memorable session lasted for a whole week with multiple decks. Bought a couple of packs on eBay recently to fill the gaps in my collection.

Would this be any use for painting the miniatures:

Ebay

I wouldn't recommend it. Accuracy isn't as important as technique to be honest.

Heres a couple by a friend of mine (he's virtually blind but gets by ok, he claims getting regular practice is the key, which is probably my problem).

icesm.jpg

and this one has an average rating of 8.4 on Coolminiornot:

img44c5211d3a994.jpg

Hmm need to get some pictures of my Black Templars and Tau armies on here. Also had a Ork army, had loads of figures but never got round to painting them.

Also played battlefleet gothic, actually preferred it to 40K. Haven't been into a GW shop in years.

I played a bit of Battlefleet Gothic too, not much beyond the starter pack though.

I love the Imperial Guards, If I ever started playing 40k I would have picked them. I twas sort of endearing how awful they seemed to be in their battles inside White Dwarf, they'd always be relying on their tanks and long range fire in a vain attempt to win the battle, then eventually being slaughtered at close combat by Chaos Marines or somthing.

They remind me of the Humans on Starship Troopers.

Not had chance to read the instructions or inserts yet. Not even sure what that red thingy is :(

They're either measuring sticks if you want their 'proper' use, or absolutely lethal whipping devices if you want their actual use.

Practice really is the key with painting good models. I don't think a magnifying glass is really necessary though, but if you do get one try getting one with a light built in as I could see that being quite helpful.

Also remember - you don't always have to use brushes to get detail, IIRC this guy adds his fine detail using art pencils and the results are astoundingly good! This is probably my favourite piece of his:

img437536920ea85.jpg

...Grand total of £92.

Wow, that's a lot of money for what I can see! If the game is around £37 how much did the other things cost? I recall their paints being expensive but not that expensive, although that was a good few years ago.

Wow, that's a lot of money for what I can see! If the game is around £37 how much did the other things cost? I recall their paints being expensive but not that expensive, although that was a good few years ago.

The game on its own is £40. But I went for the hobby set with extra paints so it was £50. Book was about £12, paints £2 each, Clippers £6, Brushes £3, Undercoat £10. I think thats everything.

I started with Ultramarines cos...well blue is cool I never really painted though...I really liked the new style models when they could be posed better, I love building models!

I kinda got into Tau a bit as well cos they looked cool too, it doesn't matter that they were actually shit, I never played a game of 40k anyway :(

I played a bit of Battlefleet Gothic too, not much beyond the starter pack though.

I love the Imperial Guards, If I ever started playing 40k I would have picked them. I twas sort of endearing how awful they seemed to be in their battles inside White Dwarf, they'd always be relying on their tanks and long range fire in a vain attempt to win the battle, then eventually being slaughtered at close combat by Chaos Marines or somthing.

They remind me of the Humans on Starship Troopers.

This is why i went with imperial guard, allthough you soon realise they are probably the most expensive army to collect as you need about 10 grunts per 1 of the enemy.

This is why i went with imperial guard, allthough you soon realise they are probably the most expensive army to collect as you need about 10 grunts per 1 of the enemy.

:(

Poor old IG, they're not so bad now they've done a half decent plastic range for them, Catachans looked awful. I can't imagine how costly it was to build a full sized army when they were all metal.

My best mate in school, his borther was a massive fan and an excellent painter. He use dto go to Golden Demon and had these huge posters signed by the artists Mark Gibbon or something i think it was. I was so bad at apinting it was actually an achievement.

I always liked the SPace WOlves and i remember when i got out of hospital after my 3rd set of ear gromits my maw and paw bought me the Space Wolf Terminators, they had a special name which i cant remember, for using on space hulk. My gerbil use dto chew them when he was running around my room lol.

I'm sad to see no Eldar here. They're basically, Iain M. Banks' Culture! They're backstories were amazing - garden ships kilometers long, song and dance that could kill; deadly elegance. Who the fuck cares about Orks and Marines? That's the shit my brother used to collect. Give me stick-thin Goddesses who'll slit your throat while you cry at the sheer beauty of their voice.

Our own Albert Fish sent me some models for nowt just this week.

You oughta see them. Amazing. One in particular. I'll try to get a pic up.

Anyone have any idea where I might find that Vallejo paint set? I might treat myself to a couple of armies for Christmas, and get painting. I find it busts stress like a motherfucker.

I'm sad to see no Eldar here. They're basically, Iain M. Banks' Culture! They're backstories were amazing - garden ships kilometers long, song and dance that could kill; deadly elegance. Who the fuck cares about Orks and Marines? That's the shit my brother used to collect. Give me stick-thin Goddesses who'll slit your throat while you cry at the sheer beauty of their voice.

I always got clobbered by them whenever I did play a game of WH.

But...the original Harlequin figures were little works of art, and I adored them. Nice to see them back in the shops though! Might buy one and give that a paint up job.

To prevent costs escalating, I reckon a nice new year's resolution might be to paint one or two figures a month, and really spend some time on them. I used to consider myself a fairly decent painter, but I always lacked patience and consequently rushed things towards the end of my models...

Highlights? Fuck that, I'll just drybrush the thing in white, and pretend it's snowing...