Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Yeah any time I see a job advertisement with “enthusiastic”, “passionate”, “above and beyond”, “team player” in the blurb I’m like “oh, these people want me to extra work and not pay me for it, all because I love it so much”

The videogames industry is very similar with trying to keep salaries as a secret between employees, and it should get called out there, too.

Interestingly I have just seen they are handing out some decent bonuses to all staff to the tune of £5k each!  Not sure how that compares to the bonus applied to the senior managers proportionally as quoted in the article. Nonetheless, would imagine a few staff members whistling whilst they worked when that came down the pipeline. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/27/warhammer-maker-games-workshop-hands-staff-5000-bonus-after-lockdown-sales-surge

The Guardian article is a bit weird, the bonus stuff was announced and reported on a couple of months back. I think it's been picked up again because the formal end of year results have been announced today and the bonuses talked about in that again.

I don't know if Alanis would sing about that occuring at the same time as James' tweets going viral or not.

And a single bonus does not fix everything. There were other threads leading off from that one of of the other people and their experience if working at GW. It's disappointing.

They'll get bitten in the arse with that eventually, because they'll start having to hire people who don't give a fuck about the game. There's no way in this wide world they can populate their workforce with GW fanatics forever.

And then they'll have to start paying the going rate because someone moving sideways from some other massive business isn't going to take, like, a 50% drop in salary just because they get money off plastic shooty men.

I picked up the current White Dwarf, first I’ve got in many years, due to the stuff about Jervis Johnson in it.  He’s retiring after 38 years at GW, there’s an overview of what he’s worked on over the years, and a J Files (used to read those back in the 90s).  The man was involved in some of my favourite games, odd to think of GW without him.

Here's some of what I've been working on recently.  It's an absolutely huge Tau commission.  8 vehicles, 4 characters, over 50 troops and dreadnaught-style mechs, and about 50 drones.  😬

956955668_90380408WIP(1).thumb.jpg.8598d5949abddc0462324a6152499a86.jpg1668971455_90380408WIP(9).thumb.jpg.8f2408d245d4867e14e312fd8973ccea.jpg1477727108_90380408WIP(4).thumb.jpg.dcdbafb303521d6f3124bef920384382.jpg

Looking great, although I don't envy you doing so many of them! 

I'm doing the Crimson court at the moment (plus some other vampire character), and that is more than enough to do in one batch :P

Painting the final piece of my 1000 sons starter pack. 

I don't have the correct colours for him so just used the paints that my mate gave be to start with. 

Screenshot_20210808-191633_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1e5cc5a64aeb029117389f140a3a9a45.jpgScreenshot_20210808-191653_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9768edb5918932c3f38def72c87343ec.jpg

I'm really terrible at shading- first I tried some nuln oil but that just made a damp looking stain, then I added some black to the 1000 sons blue to make it darker and tried to blend it in but it just looks like a patchy mess...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to go the Forbidden Planet route if possible and be much more strict about what issues I buy. I don’t need any more Leadbelcher ta!

Now that Mortal Realms is nearly done I have to say that as painting guides they’re a huge disappointment. The finished paint jobs look absolutely nothing like the versions on the cover. 

Fortunately I wasn’t really using them for that after the first few issues but still. The issue about doing eyes etc was particularly bad I thought.

Do Forbidden Planet tend to have a decent amount of stock of these kind of mags? Or are the popular ones likely to go quickly on the day of release? I tried to pick up some of the previous 

I've only got the odd issue of Conquest and Realms, so never used them as a painting guide.

I see Hachette have Peachy and Louise doing official videos for the release. They do reference the painting guides in the video - no idea if that means they've changed the way they do the painting guides, or just made it even more unforgiveable that they've made them so poor with GW involved.

On 07/08/2021 at 00:16, The Bag said:

I picked up the current White Dwarf, first I’ve got in many years, due to the stuff about Jervis Johnson in it.  He’s retiring after 38 years at GW, there’s an overview of what he’s worked on over the years, and a J Files (used to read those back in the 90s).  The man was involved in some of my favourite games, odd to think of GW without him.

His reputation is kinda soured for me. He smashed Apocalypse into 40K and forged the narrative, making the 40k rule set a mess to play. I ended up realising I had more fun just chatting with friends over beers than trying to play 40k at the same time. 

7 hours ago, Butters said:

Perfect. I hadn't realised I could pre-order. I'm really not sure I can afford to get them all, but there are a few I don't want to miss out on. Thanks @feltmonkey.

Fauxhammer has the scoop on the contents of forthcoming issues, so you can usually pre-order with a bit of knowledge of what’s coming.

https://www.fauxhammer.com/featured/warhammer-imperium-magazine-contents-list-issues-1-80/

8 hours ago, Butters said:

Perfect. I hadn't realised I could pre-order. I'm really not sure I can afford to get them all, but there are a few I don't want to miss out on. Thanks @feltmonkey.

Also, you might be able to get back issues, on an individual basis, directly from Hatchette.

I picked up a few back issues of Mortal Realms that way. Some months after they were released too. Including some of the really popular ones.

Don't take that for granted though. Pre-order is more guaranteed.

Grand, cheers people. I'll likely pick up the first few issues to see what it is like and go from there. 

Quite looking forward to it, despite my lack of time to do anything with the miniatures and my current plastic pile of shame. 

On 22/07/2021 at 11:11, Captain Novaforce said:

Good books to get you up to speed:

• Cadia Stands - to see what happens to Cadia
  • The Emperor's Legion (Volume 1) (Watchers of the Throne)  and it's sequel, shows what a mess Earth is and the mobilisation of the Custodians including the return of Roboute Guiliman. Also they are written by Chris Wraight who is one of the best authors they have at the moment.
  • Then you could jump straight into the Dawn of Fire books, as they detail the start of the Indomnitus Crusade setting off from Earth.

The Dark Imperium books are a bit hit a miss IMO, and I didn't hear good things about the Gathering Storm series but they do detail a lot around the Eldar involvement. 

I've read Cadia Stands and I'm maybe a quarter of the way into Watchers of the Throne. As well as talking about it going tits up on Cadia, it keeps referencing something happening to Fenris. What's happened there (no big spoilers, if possible) and where do I read about it?

18 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've read Cadia Stands and I'm maybe a quarter of the way into Watchers of the Throne. As well as talking about it going tits up on Cadia, it keeps referencing something happening to Fenris. What's happened there (no big spoilers, if possible) and where do I read about it?

I think there's a book called The Battle of the Fang which covers it. It involves the Thousand Sons