Jump to content

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread


Lorfarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

So news of hte Lord of the Rings series has got me all hot and bothered in the all the right places. Has there been any word on whether GW will be mkaing armies for the forces that will be in the show?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Ta. 

 

I've posted about this in Wanted, but: has anyone got a copy of the rules for Dungeonbowl? I think there was only the one edition in the 90s.

 

You can download a PDF of a version of the rules that works with current Blood Bowl rules.  The only official version of Dungeonbowl  was released in the second edition era, which was a very different version of the game to what it now is.  

 

Here's the new version - 

https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Dungeonbowl-2019.pdf

 

There's a copy of the original rules on ebay for a tenner - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154564560263?hash=item23fcc40587:g:u4AAAOSwmHBhEpIt

 

I used to have the game, and it should still be somewhere in my house.  I don't have time to go hunting for it at the moment, but in a couple of weeks when I've finished my current commission, I'll be happy to see if I can find it and scan it for you, if you like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

 

You can download a PDF of a version of the rules that works with current Blood Bowl rules.  The only official version of Dungeonbowl  was released in the second edition era, which was a very different version of the game to what it now is.  

 

Here's the new version - 

https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Dungeonbowl-2019.pdf

 

There's a copy of the original rules on ebay for a tenner - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154564560263?hash=item23fcc40587:g:u4AAAOSwmHBhEpIt

 

I used to have the game, and it should still be somewhere in my house.  I don't have time to go hunting for it at the moment, but in a couple of weeks when I've finished my current commission, I'll be happy to see if I can find it and scan it for you, if you like.

Thanks, a couple of people have pointed me to PDF versions of the original rules, so I'm sorted now. 

 

On the ebay thing - annoyingly, an original set of rules went for £4 last week 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mikes said:

So news of hte Lord of the Rings series has got me all hot and bothered in the all the right places. Has there been any word on whether GW will be mkaing armies for the forces that will be in the show?

 

None at all that i've heard. I;m not sure what the licensing provenance of the new series is - the books and the films are almost completely seperate entities for licensing. GW's games are licenced from the films 

 

In any event, I think the direction of movement for GW is going to be away from other companies' IPs, as that's where the real money is there to be made. they want to be grimdark disney/marvel, with everyone paying them for licensing fees, not the other way round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some digging elsewhere and yeah, GW's contract for the current range is with new Line cinema. They already have lists and make models for forces from the Second Age (Numenor being one).

 

However, several people say they saw confirmation from GW they were talking to Amazon not long after the series was announced, so there's that. Also it looks like the Middle Earth game has bene getting more attention recently, so perhaps a gearing up to hit the ground running? There's nothing to stop Amazon saying no, really. It's not like they're going to make a tabletop game themselves, and free money is free money.

 

I suppose we'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did anyone sign up for Warhammer+ then?  It seems to have been a bit of a shaky launch, with people getting cancellation emails minutes after signing up (with the word "cancelled" spelt wrong, bizarrely) and people not being able to access any of the content.  Obviously, a few people at my work signed up, with mixed levels of success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Did anyone sign up for Warhammer+ then?  It seems to have been a bit of a shaky launch, with people getting cancellation emails minutes after signing up (with the word "cancelled" spelt wrong, bizarrely) and people not being able to access any of the content.  Obviously, a few people at my work signed up, with mixed levels of success.

 

If the quality of the animations is going to be like the thing they put up last Saturday, then I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. That was absolutely diabolical. 

 

I dunno, it feels like a massive mistake to my mind. I know GW are going great guns at the moment, but a move to embrace everything multi-media feels like overkill, and I'm not much of a fan of it. I mean, I'm certainly not their obvious sales target though so mileage may very well vary.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't mind the one from Saturday.  It reminded me of kids cartoons from the 80s, that sort of look and quality.  I think it was at least partly a stylistic choice to have it look like that.  

 

Having said that, I can't really imagine paying to watch Warhammer animations.  I think they've misunderstood what was going on with things like Astartes.  They saw how much the people who made the animations were making from their IPs (the Astartes guy was making many thousands a month) and were rightfully annoyed, and this is their somewhat half-baked attempt to take control of their IPs, get the money themselves, and hopefully to not piss off the fans.  They gave the animators jobs so that they didn't look like the bad guys, but their delivery method for the animations is this weird subscription service they've come up with.  They misunderstood how the animators were making money.  I don't completely understand how they were making money, to be honest.  A mixture of Patreons and YouTube ads?  I think people are more likely to sign up to the patreon of what they think is a struggling artist than to sign up to the subscription service of a huge company, especially when what the huge company is offering is pretty thin.  

 

To be honest, it has some goodwill from me simply because it has destroyed that Emperor had a Text-to-Speech thing.  That was fucking diabolical.  Completely unfunny, homophobic, toxic, and really lucrative.  They've kept their patreon up since they were forced to stop making their shit videos, and the monthly income has increased significantly in that time.  Either people are paying them to not make videos, or their fans are fucking idiots.  They're the source of a lot of the "Boycott GW" stuff, them and fans of people who read lore out and scumbags like Arch.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

To be honest, it has some goodwill from me simply because it has destroyed that Emperor had a Text-to-Speech thing.  That was fucking diabolical.  Completely unfunny, homophobic, toxic, and really lucrative.  They've kept their patreon up since they were forced to stop making their shit videos, and the monthly income has increased significantly in that time.  Either people are paying them to not make videos, or their fans are fucking idiots.  They're the source of a lot of the "Boycott GW" stuff, them and fans of people who read lore out and scumbags like Arch.  

 

Reluctant as I am to give assholes traffic. What are you talking about here? I am curious enough to hold my nose and glance 'tween split fingers before nauseously checking out.

Good alternative to that toxic exposure would be a description sufficient to put me off looking for real.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some "comedy" videos on YouTube.  I'm not sure if they are still there following GW's crackdown, to be honest.  They're barely animations - cut out paper on sticks stuff, really.  The attempted comedy comes from the Emperor swearing.  The Custodes are grotesque gay stereotypes.  They're unwatchable.  Don't bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Did anyone sign up for Warhammer+ then? 

 

I just signed up for the monthly to begin with. Just to check it out. I don't think they can keep up with enough animated content to make it worthwhile just for that, and mianly I joined for the vault and the promise of 'classic white dwarfs".

 

I am immediately disappointed.

 

I suppose they're classic so long as you harken back to the days of *checks notes* January 2020.

 

Maybe I'm searching it wrong, and while I don't think I am, that's another problem. It's so disjointedly presented, with no actual phone app, and the book/magazine veiwer is the most bog standard PDF viewer. Add to that the absolute absence of anything MTBG I'm actually hoping for one of those cancellation mistakes so i don't have to do it manually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JoeK said:

 

If the quality of the animations is going to be like the thing they put up last Saturday, then I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. That was absolutely diabolical. 

 

I dunno, it feels like a massive mistake to my mind. I know GW are going great guns at the moment, but a move to embrace everything multi-media feels like overkill, and I'm not much of a fan of it. I mean, I'm certainly not their obvious sales target though so mileage may very well vary.


 

 

I liked the style of the Hammer & Bolter episode, but I've seen a lot of negative reactions to it.  Most complaining it's not like Blur Studio's intro for Dawn of War, whilst I get it I also think it's kind of a weird viewpoint and animation comes in all shapes and sizes.  Maybe it's because I've always been an animation fan (thank my dad for recording those late night experimental animation compilations that BBC2 & Ch4 used to show in the 80s/90s) that I'm more or less open to anything.  But if you've watched the trailers for their animated output there's many different styles.  They may have been better make the free episode the first of Angels of Death, which I watched the start of last night, I think that's more in line with what people want.  Again it's very stylised, all black, white & red.  I think it's also a series, rather than a self contained story.

 

 

15 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I didn't mind the one from Saturday.  It reminded me of kids cartoons from the 80s, that sort of look and quality.  I think it was at least partly a stylistic choice to have it look like that.  

 

Having said that, I can't really imagine paying to watch Warhammer animations.  I think they've misunderstood what was going on with things like Astartes.  They saw how much the people who made the animations were making from their IPs (the Astartes guy was making many thousands a month) and were rightfully annoyed, and this is their somewhat half-baked attempt to take control of their IPs, get the money themselves, and hopefully to not piss off the fans.  They gave the animators jobs so that they didn't look like the bad guys, but their delivery method for the animations is this weird subscription service they've come up with.  They misunderstood how the animators were making money.  I don't completely understand how they were making money, to be honest.  A mixture of Patreons and YouTube ads?  I think people are more likely to sign up to the patreon of what they think is a struggling artist than to sign up to the subscription service of a huge company, especially when what the huge company is offering is pretty thin.  

 

To be honest, it has some goodwill from me simply because it has destroyed that Emperor had a Text-to-Speech thing.  That was fucking diabolical.  Completely unfunny, homophobic, toxic, and really lucrative.  They've kept their patreon up since they were forced to stop making their shit videos, and the monthly income has increased significantly in that time.  Either people are paying them to not make videos, or their fans are fucking idiots.  They're the source of a lot of the "Boycott GW" stuff, them and fans of people who read lore out and scumbags like Arch.  

 

The problem is under IP law you've got to protect your IP or you lose it.  They could have come up with a better way of dealing with people, maybe get some sort of basic licensing going. 

 

Afaik they've only issued one cease and desist, the Emperor Text to Speech thing wasn't asked to remove it they just panicked and did so.  The response from the "fans" is just bullshit imo, want to boycott that's fine but I keep getting inundated with youtube suggestions of videos from major 40k/GW channels all going on about how much cheaper it is to print your own stuff.  I dunno, to me it just comes across as entitled bullshit - make your own stuff sure, but printing versions of someone else's designs isn't a righteous stand against them.  You want to play in GW's worlds then play by their rules - to me it's like every time fan made Star Wars or Zelda games are shut down, you knew this was coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mikes said:

 

I just signed up for the monthly to begin with. Just to check it out. I don't think they can keep up with enough animated content to make it worthwhile just for that, and mianly I joined for the vault and the promise of 'classic white dwarfs".

 

I am immediately disappointed.

 

I suppose they're classic so long as you harken back to the days of *checks notes* January 2020.

 

Maybe I'm searching it wrong, and while I don't think I am, that's another problem. It's so disjointedly presented, with no actual phone app, and the book/magazine veiwer is the most bog standard PDF viewer. Add to that the absolute absence of anything MTBG I'm actually hoping for one of those cancellation mistakes so i don't have to do it manually.

 

I signed up and got the cancellation email, I emailed them about it.  Just the wrong email template, but ffs guys.

 

From what I've seen in replies from Warhammer Community social media more back issues of WD will be added over time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those of you who got the cancellation email/know people who did - were you 

 

- a new subscriber

- a 40k subscriber upgrading

- a lapsed 40k subscriber

 

If the second or third, had you ever had a free month previously? Just trying to get more info to pass on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Those of you who got the cancellation email/know people who did - were you 

 

- a new subscriber

- a 40k subscriber upgrading

- a lapsed 40k subscriber

 

If the second or third, had you ever had a free month previously? Just trying to get more info to pass on.

 

I had a My Warhammer account since I get things from both GW & FW stores, no previous subscriptions to anything.  Signed up through the website - signed into my warhammer then followed the plus stuff.

 

 

Capture.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

 

I had a My Warhammer account since I get things from both GW & FW stores, no previous subscriptions to anything.  Signed up through the website - signed into my warhammer then followed the plus stuff.

 

 

Capture.PNG

 

Cheers buddy, appreciate the info. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/08/2021 at 04:42, feltmonkey said:

Did anyone sign up for Warhammer+ then? 

 

Something else I just realised - you can't wahct the videos in full screen.  Unless I'm missing something.  Am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got an ork truck and a void dragon for my birthday. 
 

Base coated that, a ghost ark and painted a doomstalker yesterday. The DS is rough tabletop but it’s sufficient for the London GT in September. 
 

I’ve also used that £10 GW voucher to order another ghost ark. 
 

 

My current list:

 


++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Necrons) [99 PL, 2,000pts, 8CP] ++

+ Configuration +

[Reference] Command Protocols (All)

[Reference] Necron Secondary Objectives (All)

[Reference] Warlord Traits (All)

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Dynasty Choice: Circumstance of Awakening: Relentlessly Expansionist, Dynastic Tradition: Eternal Conquerors, Dynasty: <Custom>

Gametype: Matched

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynastic Advisor [4 PL, 80pts]
. Chronomancer: Aeonstave

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [9 PL, 195pts, -2CP]: Gauss Cannon, Hand of the Phaeron, Relic: Orb of Eternity, Resurrection Orb, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 6): Enduring Will, Warscythe

Chronomancer [6 PL, 120pts, -1CP]: Arkana: Countertemporal Nanomines, Dynastic Heirlooms, Entropic Lance, Relic: Veil of Darkness

Technomancer [4 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: Canoptek Control Node, Dynastic Heirlooms, Relic: Nanoscarab Casket

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 260pts]
. 20x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 20x Gauss Reaper

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 130pts]
. 10x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 10x Gauss Reaper

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 130pts]
. 10x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 10x Gauss Reaper

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [4 PL, 60pts]
. 4x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 4x Feeder Mandibles

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [4 PL, 60pts]
. 4x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 4x Feeder Mandibles

Tomb Blades [4 PL, 105pts]
. Tomb Blade: Shadowloom, Twin Gauss Blaster
. Tomb Blade: Shadowloom, Twin Gauss Blaster
. Tomb Blade: Shadowloom, Twin Gauss Blaster

+ Heavy Support +

Canoptek Doomstalker [7 PL, 140pts]

Canoptek Doomstalker [7 PL, 140pts]

+ Flyer +

Doom Scythe [10 PL, 200pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Ghost Ark [8 PL, 145pts]

Ghost Ark [8 PL, 145pts]

++ Total: [99 PL, 2,000pts, 8CP] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2021 at 06:10, Mikes said:

 

Something else I just realised - you can't wahct the videos in full screen.  Unless I'm missing something.  Am I missing something?

 

What are you watching them on? On the website it autoplays in the full viewable space of the browser, and if I set the browser to full screen then I have full screen vid.

 

The apps definitely have a specific button, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2021 at 14:05, The Bag said:

I couldn’t work out how, so I prefer the iOS app for that reason.

 

Anyone get Kill Team?

Mines coming tomorrow.

I just found out about the London GT at the end of September so decided to enter the Kill Team tournament.

Just ordered some Custodes and a Deathwatch squad. I've also got Space Marines and Death Guard to play with, but I've got a feeling Custodes will be the one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.