Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I’m a bit disappointed with it to be honest. The box of stuff is nice enough. I wasn’t bothered about the Krieg or orcs, but it looked like good value for the game stuff compared to buying the books and the cards and rulers on their own. I thought we could just get it and play day one with existing teams.
But for some reason I thought it included the compendium, which it doesn’t but the compendium itself seems a bit shit.

My bad, so now I need another £30 book to play as the teams I’d built up last time around. 

Then, Looking at the teams I built under the old rules, like half are no longer valid. 
My plague marine leader can’t take the plasma gun that’s molded to his back.
Can’t mix and match marines, so that’s shit. 

Bought a box of hybrids for my gs cult and made a mix of metamorphs and heavy rock weapon acolytes, and now they’re all invalid as you can’t mix them. So I can’t make 2 teams.

Cant use the elites.

So I’m left with the following that are valid but now with a fair few models that were bought and built specifically for kt that are now just surplus to requirements :

ad-mech

drukhari

chaos marines

and I can play marines as long as I run all one flavour of primaris, I don’t have enough scouts and own like 1 tac.

I will bet you that the next few releases are proper rule sets for marines and other factions that give them the same level of interest and customisation as the 2 starter teams. Locked behind a pricey box of dudes I already own.

ive just stuck the books on the shelf and am building the scenery and looking at the warcry stuff I’ve got to do instead. 

Middle Earth. Got a tonne of second hand minis and rulebooks off Gumtree at eth start of the pandemic for the kids, but just starting to really get into it now. Simple enough for the kids to grasp, tactical enough to grow into.  Also: Lord of the Rings.

1 hour ago, And said:

I’m a bit disappointed with it to be honest. The box of stuff is nice enough. I wasn’t bothered about the Krieg or orcs, but it looked like good value for the game stuff compared to buying the books and the cards and rulers on their own. I thought we could just get it and play day one with existing teams.
But for some reason I thought it included the compendium, which it doesn’t but the compendium itself seems a bit shit.

My bad, so now I need another £30 book to play as the teams I’d built up last time around. 

Then, Looking at the teams I built under the old rules, like half are no longer valid. 
My plague marine leader can’t take the plasma gun that’s molded to his back.
Can’t mix and match marines, so that’s shit. 

Bought a box of hybrids for my gs cult and made a mix of metamorphs and heavy rock weapon acolytes, and now they’re all invalid as you can’t mix them. So I can’t make 2 teams.

Cant use the elites.

So I’m left with the following that are valid but now with a fair few models that were bought and built specifically for kt that are now just surplus to requirements :

ad-mech

drukhari

chaos marines

and I can play marines as long as I run all one flavour of primaris, I don’t have enough scouts and own like 1 tac.

I will bet you that the next few releases are proper rule sets for marines and other factions that give them the same level of interest and customisation as the 2 starter teams. Locked behind a pricey box of dudes I already own.

ive just stuck the books on the shelf and am building the scenery and looking at the warcry stuff I’ve got to do instead. 

Yeah, I ended up just sticking with the 2018 edition for similar reasons.

18 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Yeah, I ended up just sticking with the 2018 edition for similar reasons.

The rules actually seem quite good. What I disliked about the old one was :

roll to hit

roll to wound

roll to save 

Do damage

kill model

wait, it’s just a flesh wound.
Fuck off. 

as that’s super frustrating. 

and the morale phase was rubs. 

Warcry is so good at this, roll, wounds for success, die when you’re dead. 

The compendium should have been in the code book like the last edition. We all know gw can’t resist rule creep, I’ve 4 books for the last version and am already at 3 for this one at day one!

Yeah, that roll sequence is frustrating.

I think the full entry cost to the new edition if you didn't go with the box set was £92, too. Another reason I sidestepped it for the time being.

The roadmap published implies lots of new content over time - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/12/octarius-is-just-the-beginning-for-a-new-age-of-kill-team/

I still need to pick up...umm...the Elites book to complete the last edition set. Not sure I'll bother now, as I seem to be heavily leaning into doing a bunch of Necromunda stuff. Just need the Zone Mortalis tiles to come back into stock!

I have core, elites, annual and pariah form the last lot. 
I payed less than £100 for the box from firestorm so on that front it’s value vs buying the books and bits on their own. Just feels a bit like day one DLC

Oh yeah, I forgot about Pariah Nexus.

I may see if I can grab a game of the new edition with someone from work and see how it takes me. But, similar to you, I have no idea if any of the Kill Team's I have built (and part painted) are valid any more. I'm not buying new ones just to conform to the new edition, that's for sure.

I know this won't impact most of you and it's possible you're not even aware of it, but sometime  ago GW banned retailers from shipping their rulebooks overseas. So, I could jump on Wayland Games, fill up a cart with minis all good, but the moment I put a GW rulebook in there it won't ship outside the UK.

The is a major pain in the arse as the 'big' rule books cost twice the amount here than in the UK. Which is probbaly why they do it, to be honest. But I wanted to the MESBG rulebook and and armies book (which I did) I've have to pay $90-100 for each here.

Luckily my mum was going to post me something for my birthday, so I both them from a UK seller and had them shit them to her to include, so even with the shipping I'm paying around $100 for both rather then the $180 plus post GW thinks we should pay.

Not really any point to the this post, other than this one encounter with brand new GW items reminded me why I stopped with their games a long time ago.

57 minutes ago, And said:

I almost lost the will to live building 3 tomb blades and they really put me off getting any bigger necron units. 

I bought some prebuilt, same with the previous ghost ark - I ain't got time for that shit.

I am very excited for this last ghost ark to be done, my necron army will be complete and I can move onto the Ork pile of shame.

Yeah, that took a while. Also, I had to do all the magnitising, making sure that each weapon is magnetised in the right direction.  :lol:

Even when it's hard work it beats working in Debenhams though.

James and the guys at Siege are brilliant as well, consistently supportive and understanding of the difficulties a painter can run into.

Guys, before I put this up on eBay - does anyone want to buy:

1 x Forgeworld Erebus & Korpaheron set (fully boxed, completely unassembled)

I believe they sell new for £63 each, but looking for offers of around £50 if anybody interested. Should say that these are first castings - bought at the original date of release, so quality of the things is as good as your going to get.

Or at least as good as Forgeworld does ;)

Let me know!

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Guys, before I put this up on eBay - does anyone want to buy:

1 x Forgeworld Erebus & Korpaheron set (fully boxed, completely unassembled)

I believe they sell new for £63 each, but looking for offers of around £50 if anybody interested. Should say that these are first castings - bought at the original date of release, so quality of the things is as good as your going to get.

Or at least as good as Forgeworld does ;)

Let me know!

yeah, if no one else has taken it.

Well, I've got this next batch up on eBay, but should someone be fairly quick on the old uptake I've got: 

5 x Horus Heresy Emperor's Children Phoenix Legion Terminators

ph.thumb.jpg.655657dfa73d311f66057defd936c45f.jpg

5 x Horus Heresy Death Guard Death Shroud Terminators 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3150bdf1a84141fbb732d49ad5dd890a.jpg

up for sale. 

Both as new and in original packaging (which amounts to their usual jiffy bag with logo, but there we go)

I'll also do them for a RLLMUK special price of £35 each set (including postage)

Let me know!