Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

On 06/09/2021 at 22:14, Oracle said:

Has anyone done a tournament before? Any tips (beyond bring all your stuff, try and be off book for rules etc)

Only done one tournament before and that was Infinity, but my biggest takeaway is narrate what you're doing as you do it.  IE, "I'm going to move my model here to this point to the corner of this wall where it can see your model here but not its squamates." It avoids ambiguity and allows your opponent a chance to disagree before any dice are rolled.

1 hour ago, Mikes said:

Only done one tournament before and that was Infinity, but my biggest takeaway is narrate what you're doing as you do it.  IE, "I'm going to move my model here to this point to the corner of this wall where it can see your model here but not its squamates." It avoids ambiguity and allows your opponent a chance to disagree before any dice are rolled.

That's a good tip.

24 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I suppose the setting allows them to do much more than a more standard fantasy one. 

Are the lizard men in 40k? They’re my favourite. 

They were in the old days. But, like a lot of fun things from Rogue Trader they vanished to add more of the Emperor's finest...there's going to come a day when literally the only 40k figures you'll be able to buy (and play games with) will be Space Marines.

14 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Absolute nonsense. 

Of course it is! 

I honestly didn't think a smiley face was needed.

However, Space Marines are and will always be the most popular army people buy, and I do think you see a lack of substantial updates for other armies because of this sometimes!

The lizardmen and out there species of RT weren't factions, though. Just models you could use in RT's RPG esque gameplay. They're still techincally in the universe, just not the game. the BL novels have many difference alien species. Although I'm pissed the arachnid warriors from Murder aren't a faction. That would be ace.

I was listening to a Guerilla Miniatures Games podcast a while back where Ash and Owen were talking about the direction 40k was going, story wise, and how to save it from disappearing up its own arse. Owen had a really good suggestion of the tyranids being the end of the galaxy (which, to be fair, is going to happen) and the Impreium having to Noah's Ark itself to Alpha Centauri, and when they get there in their very limited capacity it's already populated and a much larger galaxy has much larger civilisations and suddenelt the Spess Marines are not the biggest boys on the block.

That idea could easily include the orks, eldar and other races, and has the opportunity to introduce a whole slew of new factions and neatly avoiding the two minutes ot midnight trap the setting is in.

6 hours ago, Mikes said:

The lizardmen and out there species of RT weren't factions, though. Just models you could use in RT's RPG esque gameplay. They're still techincally in the universe, just not the game. the BL novels have many difference alien species. Although I'm pissed the arachnid warriors from Murder aren't a faction. That would be ace.

I was listening to a Guerilla Miniatures Games podcast a while back where Ash and Owen were talking about the direction 40k was going, story wise, and how to save it from disappearing up its own arse. Owen had a really good suggestion of the tyranids being the end of the galaxy (which, to be fair, is going to happen) and the Impreium having to Noah's Ark itself to Alpha Centauri, and when they get there in their very limited capacity it's already populated and a much larger galaxy has much larger civilisations and suddenelt the Spess Marines are not the biggest boys on the block.

That idea could easily include the orks, eldar and other races, and has the opportunity to introduce a whole slew of new factions and neatly avoiding the two minutes ot midnight trap the setting is in.

Sounds vaguely like Mass Effect: Andromeda!

Which isn’t a bad thing really.

10 hours ago, JoeK said:

Of course it is! 

I honestly didn't think a smiley face was needed.

However, Space Marines are and will always be the most popular army people buy, and I do think you see a lack of substantial updates for other armies because of this sometimes!

I think that's a fair comment, though when I look back at - say - the last 3 or 4 years there have been some super solid updates across the board. Off the top of my head we've had a new Battle Sisters range, Genestealer Cultists getting significantly expanded, AdMech have received a wealth of new units, a whole new Ork sub-faction and Necrons have received a huge overhaul in terms of sculpts. 

It's a game with 12 distinct groups (if you clumsily collapse all Chaos Space Marine and loyalist Space Marine factions under those labels, which I'm not sure I agree is the right thing to do) supported via Codexes, and then you've got all the smaller units that can exist within those to add flavour (assassins, BSF releases, Rogue Trader models etc).

I can walk into a store today and build any one of those armies without much trouble from scratch, even if some of the sculpts are 20 years old, and they're playable on the tabletop.

Sure, I drink from the Kool Aid fountain, but I think that's quite the thing given 40k shares the space with AoS and all the standalone boxed games for support.

eBay seems quite pricey for models most of the time but Sometimes you just get lucky. Looking for a korgorath for warcry and managed to snag A complete 1st edition age of sigmar starter. For £36. 47 models!  
For slightly more than the cost of a khorgorath. 
So now we should have enough khorne and storm cast dudes to have some 1000 odd point games. 

This has prompted a bit of a cull of the pile of shame though so I’ve put some stuff on eBay. 

image.jpg

57 minutes ago, And said:

@Pelekophoros

while that’s all true, but since 8th launched there’s still been more primaris lieutenant models released than eldar models. 🤣

Yep, I'd love to see more races get completely overhauled/new sculpts and everything brought up to the 'modern' standard. It'll come in time, I'm sure!

40 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Fluff wise I like, Eldar are a stagnant, dying race - they should not get shiny new things.

I think I speak for most eldar players when I say we don't want shiny new things, we want the existing range updated with plastic versions of our most iconic units, so we don;t have to deal with terrible finecast models.

1 hour ago, And said:

@Pelekophoros

while that’s all true, but since 8th launched there’s still been more primaris lieutenant models released than eldar models. 🤣

look it's perfectly reasonable to release a primaris lieutenant for every successor chapter before looking at any xenos race.

i think the beauty of the current galaxy in 40k is it's so decrepit and on its way out. The imperium is dying. it has been dying for 10,000 years. If anything chaos needs to overtake much more of the galaxy, really put guillimans empire under strain politically from within in addition to the rise of chaos. it needs its Empire Strikes Back moment, with the death of some big name characters. not "mortarion attacks guilliman, they fight, mortarion runs away and they both live happily ever after" replace mortarion for whichever big name you want to replace him with. Abaddon? sure why not. Maybe just finally murder the emperor. instil Magnus or someone on earth, and have guilliman finally see what he needs to do, assemble a Extremum Crucis (final crusade) into the eye of terror with all the remaining sisters of silence and the eldar and have THAT as the new setting. need a big turning point? have him find Leman Russ in the warp,  take on and shackle some of the chaos gods, shrink the Cicatrix Maledictum in doing so, and play the game of reclaiming earth, reshaping the imperium, and abolishing the imperial truth.

Theres so much you can do in in the current galaxy that fucking off and going to a new galaxy, you might as well play another game

Necrons

5xflayed ones

Chronomancer

2 royal wardens 

sprue of 3 warriors

All new and on sprue.
3 spite revenants 

Warcry skaven warband which is now out of print. new in box with cards

maybe more to follow as I sort through stuff. 

I don’t suppose anyone has a spare stormcast castigator floating around they’d sell? I’ve somehow got 5 and they’re in Units of 3

6 hours ago, And said:

Necrons

5xflayed ones

Chronomancer

2 royal wardens 

sprue of 3 warriors

All new and on sprue.

Warcry skaven warband which is now out of print. new in box with cards

maybe more to follow as I sort through stuff. 

I don’t suppose anyone has a spare storm cast castigator floating around they’d sell? I’ve somehow got 5 and they’re in Units of 3

I’ve got loads you can have. I’m away for a few days from tomorrow but pm me and I’ll send you as many as you like (or just one) :)

Thanks! I only need one to bring a unit up to spec, pm’d. 
Must have got 2 on a mixed sprue from mortal realms. 

I love this bit of a project. The planning and building. Before the enthusiasm wears off!
This should see me through winter painting this lot. 

I’ve about 1500 points of stormcasts And 1100 points of khorne. Already hankering after a bloodthirster. 

14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

FB_IMG_1631774638328.thumb.jpg.007bf5c13837d20986ad3be97f640eab.jpgFB_IMG_1631774633038.thumb.jpg.87d88f0cc03290f6e4e107535406af4b.jpg

Don't look for the painted versions. Your eyes will bleed.

Yeah the painted ones are terrible. 
The boy has a necron and I’ve got one of these to get round to 

image.jpg