Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Yeah, I had a magnifying desk lamp for a bit, but I found it completely impossible to use.

I think the exact model I have doesn't exist anymore, but these are basically the same - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0794PMXD7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0794PMXD7&pd_rd_w=bwL2V&pf_rd_p=828203ef-618e-4303-a028-460d6b615038&pd_rd_wg=gPpUX&pf_rd_r=K28WHPREX23VM9XREQ6E&pd_rd_r=43944861-043f-4f63-8a0d-6ef544571ec9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDNkRUQ1lJSUtHOVAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDEyNDlOTUFROFRVOEJZWFomZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDM3ODE2MEc4S1ZQT1RESzBPMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The ones @The Bag linked are pretty much the same.  All these headband magnifiers are much of a muchness as far as I can tell.

They're well worth it.  I couldn't do my job without them, although I do worry about the long-term effects on my eyesight.  I don't wear them all the time, just for the fiddly stuff.

It's worth persisting with edge highlighting even if it's slow going at first. It's the best way to get a sharp definition to your models as it triggers a strong response with the edge detectors in our eyes and with practice it becomes a lot easier and quicker to do. 

These are some recent models I painted for a commission. Around three hours per model.

_DSC0042.JPG

Well, to lower the tone a bit. One of the night haunt guys from mortal realms, not  a bad model for £8! I should have took pics before varnish I think as I was being lazy and used spray and it’s not gone brilliantly. 

506CD56A-3D65-4E01-9B49-536190A2D48F.jpeg

B46D6221-2DFE-4BFC-B15B-A7671C8245CC.jpeg

5AC7519E-0528-4024-BAE2-409CA695A9F8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

accidentally won an auction for the silent king and some other bits...

“Accidentally” 😂  we’ve all done that.  What else did you end up with ?

4 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Ooh, Fancii :)

Cheers guys, I’ve treated myself. I tend to hunch over my desk magnifier so hopefully this will aid my posture too.

Plus you get to do an good impression of the dude from Toy Story 2, please excuse the lockdown hairs & beard - the photo’s from last year.

E49375FE-7DFC-452D-ADD8-0EBE49EEC249.thumb.jpeg.39c06ec53520b3166b827eca05e297a3.jpeg

5 hours ago, And said:

Well, to lower the tone a bit. One of the night haunt guys from mortal realms, not  a bad model for £8! I should have took pics before varnish I think as I was being lazy and used spray and it’s not gone brilliantly. 

506CD56A-3D65-4E01-9B49-536190A2D48F.jpeg

B46D6221-2DFE-4BFC-B15B-A7671C8245CC.jpeg

5AC7519E-0528-4024-BAE2-409CA695A9F8.jpeg

Looks great!

I don't think I've varnished any of my models apart from a dab of gloss to make something shiny. I should probably sort that out.

Thanks! It was Mainly washed and dry brushed - those nighthaunt are fun to mess around with the textures on.  I had army painter spray varnish left over from doing some terrain so used that. Most stuff I paint is for gaming with so it needs a varnish to stop it rubbing offf

10 hours ago, And said:

“Accidentally” 😂  we’ve all done that.  What else did you end up with ?

the SK, 3 lokust heavy destroyers and a chronomancer all for £93

Depends how cack handed the assembly and dipping etc is close up. It might need stripping and I’d prefer to paint in sub assemblies but that won’t be an option here. 

At least the three characters aren’t stuck on it yet

77CC3D0F-5555-4994-B161-3E2467CE6363.png

It’s a riveting neck and neck race!

Point is they’re indistinguishable. The only downside of the cheaper can is that it’s a lot more powerful so you can easily drench the mini. So different to use, but almost impossible to tell apart IMO.

Spoiler

The Stormcast is indeed the GW One 

The Stormcast is the GW one, 100%.

Edit - Oh, you said so in the spoiler.  My reasoning was that I think I can see a slight texture to the one used on the ghost, and also areas where it looks like the paint has run and pooled.  Having said that, it could easily look like there is a texture when there is none, if you've sprayed with a light dusting (as you're apparently supposed to) and pooling could happen with any spray can if you spray too much paint on.  

Whatever primer is fine.  Everyone should use what works, appreciate that the variances in price do not reflect any variance in usability or quality, and that it's hardly the most important step of the process.  I stick religiously to the couple of brands of primer I trust because I fear change and have had a couple of bad experiences with other brands I've tried when they've been recommended to me.

Just out of interest, where are you seeing pooling? I can’t see any myself - if there’s anything awry it’s more likely to be melted plastic from over zealous Tamiya Thin as well application. I’m terrible for that. 

The areas I can see with a slight texture are on the Stormcast’s back, bum and thighs, and the sleeves of the Nighthaunt. And I think that’s more down to my application than the paint (I had about ten models attached to a metal ruler and primed them all at once).

Appreciate its hard to see black paint in a photo on a black background :lol:

The nighthaunt guys are so fun and easy to paint to a battle ready standard, we’ve a bunch of them for warcry and the knight is a leader option. This was less than an hours work and he’ll do for sitting in the box with his buddies until the next game

D3D64B4A-EAEE-4D81-98BF-B509AF86C17F.jpeg