Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

For a change from Sigmar stuff I started putting together some of the Blackstone Fortress enemy mini's today.

Lovely sculpts to the Traitor Guardsmen and Beastmen (love the Ur-Ghuls - so basic but so cool looking) but what a night and day difference they all are so far in terms of construction when compared to the Cursed City ones.

So far they actually push fit together better (and are less gappy) than almost all of the Cursed City stuff. Haven't even needed to refer to the instructions for them yet, whereas Cursed City left me scratching my head a bit even with the instructions in front of me.

edit: I eventually managed to snag the Traitor Command models and expansion separate from one another too (and saving myself anything from £130 upwards in the process!).

Hunting around for the models did open my eyes to see how cheeky some people are trying to pass recasts off as legit models. Trying to find that Chaos Ogryn and Commissar led me down the murky path of looking at recasts (surprisingly easy to source them if you're persistent) but at least with those they were OOP and I knew what I was buying. But seems some people had no qualms about buying them and then hocking them on Ebay for upwards of four times the price claiming they are the real thing.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Kritza-The-Rat-Prince-2021

This figure is fucking bollocks to put together. Absolutely fucking terrible. Some minor warping when this has been translated into a production sprue has meant that every single part doesn't fit correctly, so I'm having to completely bodge it together and it's going to be an utter ball-ache to paint. 

Almost tempted to cut my losses, buy the bloke a new copy and send it to him with 'NOOOOOOO' written all over it.

Colossal waste of time all 'round.

On 27/03/2022 at 23:15, Spatial said:

For a change from Sigmar stuff I started putting together some of the Blackstone Fortress enemy mini's today.

Lovely sculpts to the Traitor Guardsmen and Beastmen (love the Ur-Ghuls - so basic but so cool looking) but what a night and day difference they all are so far in terms of construction when compared to the Cursed City ones.

So far they actually push fit together better (and are less gappy) than almost all of the Cursed City stuff. Haven't even needed to refer to the instructions for them yet, whereas Cursed City left me scratching my head a bit even with the instructions in front of me.

edit: I eventually managed to snag the Traitor Command models and expansion separate from one another too (and saving myself anything from £130 upwards in the process!).

Hunting around for the models did open my eyes to see how cheeky some people are trying to pass recasts off as legit models. Trying to find that Chaos Ogryn and Commissar led me down the murky path of looking at recasts (surprisingly easy to source them if you're persistent) but at least with those they were OOP and I knew what I was buying. But seems some people had no qualms about buying them and then hocking them on Ebay for upwards of four times the price claiming they are the real thing.

Yeah I really wanted the traitor commissar, I've got a spare imperial one from a Imperial Guard starter box because of course I do, so just going to attack him with Green stuff. I must have a power fist in that box too...

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Kritza-The-Rat-Prince-2021

This figure is fucking bollocks to put together. Absolutely fucking terrible. Some minor warping when this has been translated into a production sprue has meant that every single part doesn't fit correctly, so I'm having to completely bodge it together and it's going to be an utter ball-ache to paint. 

Almost tempted to cut my losses, buy the bloke a new copy and send it to him with 'NOOOOOOO' written all over it.

Colossal waste of time all 'round.

Get in touch with GW customer services if bought direct, or talk to the retailer, if you think it's a manufacturing fault. They'll sort you out.

9 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Get in touch with GW customer services if bought direct, or talk to the retailer, if you think it's a manufacturing fault. They'll sort you out.

Ah, it's gone too far for me to be bothered really. Literally, if any company saw the amount of hacking I've done on it I very much doubt they'd give me the benefit of the doubt (I know I wouldn't!). Either way, it's no huge issue in the grand scheme of things. It's a shame though - so many fantastic GW models are great to put together, just unfortunate that this one was a bit of a wanker. 

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Ah, it's gone too far for me to be bothered really. Literally, if any company saw the amount of hacking I've done on it I very much doubt they'd give me the benefit of the doubt (I know I wouldn't!). Either way, it's no huge issue in the grand scheme of things. It's a shame though - so many fantastic GW models are great to put together, just unfortunate that this one was a bit of a wanker. 

I really struggled with a few of the Cursed City ones. When they go together, they go together well but...yes. Challenging. Same in the Dominion box actually. 

My Radukar took a lot of join filling to get him to look right and his Hat / Hair thing still isn't as it should be :lol:

I get the feeling Kritza is turning up in a Cursed City expansion at some point so I just know I'm going to be turning the air blue.

I've spent the afternoon putting some Warband sets together - bloody brilliant tooling on some of them. The Darkoath and Sepulchural Guard were a joy and they hide some of the joins brilliantly. When GW nail the scuplts, they really nail them.

3 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Yeah I really wanted the traitor commissar, I've got a spare imperial one from a Imperial Guard starter box because of course I do, so just going to attack him with Green stuff. I must have a power fist in that box too...

I'd be interested to see how you get on as I was looking at kit-bashing something together at one point. There was a third party Chaos Commissar that might have helped fit the bill with a head swap, and I even thought about using some Necromunda stuff.

Stuff like this is so cool:

image.png.702fd831a9053faaffbabee724e2ebb7.png

Clearly I'm having a bad day at the office.

I'd hoped that I could work on the base from the Lemon Russ Primarch and at the very least get that built up. Alas, because the client wants to have the thing as modular (so small base as well as the larger display base), it's another nightmare trying to get the thing aligned properly.

I'm in such a foul mood now, I'm giving up for a while. 

Just really can't be arsed anymore. 

I don't think we've had a link to the Golden Demon winners from Adepticon yet, have we?  Some great winners here, of course.  Has anyone on here ever entered? Would you consider it?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/29/here-are-the-fantastic-golden-demon-winners-crowned-at-adepticon-2022/

The overall winner is apparently hugely impressive in the hand.  The judges described the paint job as perfect.  I think the guy who painted it has only been painting for a few years, so there's hope for us all.

They picked the worst possible angle for the photo of Andy Wardle's diorama.  It's worth checking his insta (cult of paint) for better ones.

There's a few i don't agree with in the ordering. I think the Gold vehicle especially is fairly poor. The bronze placement is so much better i mean look at the in-motion assault cannon on that thing.  ive heard from a few people on the show floor that werent that impressed with Wardles Diorama either.

As for the Skink? doesn't do anything for me. Paint job isnt really perfect if you look at the sides of the feathers, what's going on there? and i think it looks far too at odds with its base. The skink is from the pages of a comic book, the base from Peter Jacksons LOTR. It's quite uninspired and feels very much like a GW pushed agenda to inspire people to enter painting competitions. especially when you compare it to Kaha's Sigvald for example.

Both gold picks for Large Model and Large Miniature are worse than both silver and bronzes in their class too imo.

That's the thing with painting competitions; you're at the mercy of the judges and what the organisation behind it wants to reward.

I'm always left bemused about painting comps in general to be honest. By and large, everything that places or gets commended is great and it's always depressing to see really odd debates about the winners and losers over on various places I frequent!

Painting competitions are anathema to me at the best of times, and whilst I applaud folks (and know a fair few) who just do that as how they 'hobby', it's not something that I've ever liked much. 

Aside from seeing all the pretty things I guess!

As for the Skink - it's a very, very well painted figure. I do think it's an exceptionally dull figure. Out of all the figures GW produces, it's not one that I'd have ever thought about someone entering! But then again, that may well be the point. If something's painted well, then anything can get the top prize maybe?

I dunno. 

Anyway, there was some great stuff painted for the comp this year - something I do think has been lost a little over the years is just how different the US Golden Demons were in the past from the Euro ones. People always argued they weren't as good, and I never thought that - I always figured that stylistically, the US ones were very, very much of the 'EM style as opposed to the most impressionist approach that seemed to be all the rage over this way. I kind think despite everything we see, it's all gone a little bit 'samey' for my liking in a way. Great, wonderful painting, but there's very little new approaches shown at the minute. However, I've tended to become more and more detached from other painting stuff these days, so I'm most likely well out of sync with what's going on in the hobby in general.

Basically, ignore everything I've just said because I know fuck all ;) 

Nice to see US Golden Demon back though.

I've seen a lot of photos of Andy Wardle's diorama as it came together, and in my opinion it's pretty stunning, but it's all subjective.

There does seem to be a small faction who are throwing some saltiness about and complaining about the judges. The guy who finished third in the diorama category seems to be quite an odd guy, and has decided that he has something to be aggrieved about.  I would say that his diorama was lucky to place, but again it's all subjective. One of the biggest Russian painters on insta has posted that Dread that won gold in the vehicles category with some horrible comment about GD being a beginner's competition now.  I've heard second hand from one of the judges that it looks amazing in person.

You can't really judge from the photos, that's the truth of the matter. A lot of people are keen to do so, though. I reckon everything on that page, including the Youngbloods ones, are better than anything I've ever done.  :D

By the way, how about this?  That Squat's April Fools? 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/02/what-april-fools-the-41st-millenniums-next-faction-is-real-heres-a-model-to-prove-it/

It was a classic double-bluff!  

After my first space marines I went to try something different and hit up some necrons. I also wanted to do a better job of the base, which previously was astrogranite and a rock glued on. 

0B1AC354-E3EB-46C0-89EE-17552A805E6F.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Nicky said:

There's a few i don't agree with in the ordering. I think the Gold vehicle especially is fairly poor. The bronze placement is so much better i mean look at the in-motion assault cannon on that thing.  ive heard from a few people on the show floor that werent that impressed with Wardles Diorama either.

As for the Skink? doesn't do anything for me. Paint job isnt really perfect if you look at the sides of the feathers, what's going on there? and i think it looks far too at odds with its base. The skink is from the pages of a comic book, the base from Peter Jacksons LOTR. It's quite uninspired and feels very much like a GW pushed agenda to inspire people to enter painting competitions. especially when you compare it to Kaha's Sigvald for example.

Both gold picks for Large Model and Large Miniature are worse than both silver and bronzes in their class too imo.

That's the thing with painting competitions; you're at the mercy of the judges and what the organisation behind it wants to reward.

Andy Wardle’s photo of it does the base far most justice that the official photo which makes them look completely unrelated.

D612F82E-62CF-4ABD-9657-76AFD4DAE1E7.thumb.jpeg.5379db624c7a8f39588321a692dc93df.jpeg

It’s very very good, barring the edge of the feathers, especially the spear tip.  But ultimately it leaves me cold, I can appreciate the technique but it doesn’t really do it for me.