Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Does anyone else find the GW website utterly infuriating to browse? So far as I can see there is simply no way whatsoever to see a complete list of all the miniatures one can buy. Like, you can get it to list all miniatures that are “available to order” but it doesn’t list them all! You have to know the name of say, this character, to search for it, or search “genestealer cults” and it comes up, but otherwise it simply doesn’t appear.

FF31DA83-E30B-47DB-BA7D-5F4E7A118626.thumb.jpeg.b205b293da289774cda898fe423610cb.jpeg

It’s really frustrating for someone like me who is just looking for cool things to paint, and doesn’t know, or care what the factions, games, and names are.

Am I being thick and missing some obvious “Show me every mini you currently sell” button?

On 19/09/2022 at 21:57, Mikes said:

I've really gotten into a LOTR kick recently. I have my fully painted Irvendell army and am midway through a decently sized Isengard army. I also have e tonne of other stuff from a big gumtree purchase over lockdown. I realised I have a lot fo stuff to put together most of an Angmar army too, minus a few characters. A guy just started up a Battlecompanies campaign at our club tooo, so I'm painting up the Angmar to play as them in it.

Just over a week. That's lightning fast for me.

308132137_616031440002567_61052464721244

Soooo I fancy buying my first ever 40k stuff. This is to paint, not to play with.

I’m thinking of picking up one or both of the following:

- League of Votann

- Plague Marines

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I know the league stuff is brand new so I expect not, but any plague marine stuff would be appreciated! 

28 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Soooo I fancy buying my first ever 40k stuff. This is to paint, not to play with.

I’m thinking of picking up one or both of the following:

- League of Votann

- Plague Marines

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I know the league stuff is brand new so I expect not, but any plague marine stuff would be appreciated! 

You can't go wrong with the basic Plague Marine boxset. They're nice models with plenty of room for variation both with weapons and body parts, certainly if you don't intend to play but even if you do you can get another set and just make the ones you want/need and you'll be able to make them again distinct from the ones you've already done.

If you want something tanky, the Plagueburst Crawler is a nice model. Not much scope for variation but also good if you do end up playing.

Poxwalkers offer something again a little different but there's no variation in the box* so unless you're going to play one box should be enough.

Beyond that it's really up to you what you're willing to spend and what sculpts interest you.

*you can get some Poxwalker variation from the Gellerpox boxset but these are a special unit used in Kill Team and I'm not sure what their rules are like for 40K but the models themselves are quite nice if you just want to paint them.

1 hour ago, martingee said:

You can't go wrong with the basic Plague Marine boxset. They're nice models with plenty of room for variation both with weapons and body parts, certainly if you don't intend to play but even if you do you can get another set and just make the ones you want/need and you'll be able to make them again distinct from the ones you've already done.

If you want something tanky, the Plagueburst Crawler is a nice model. Not much scope for variation but also good if you do end up playing.

Poxwalkers offer something again a little different but there's no variation in the box* so unless you're going to play one box should be enough.

Beyond that it's really up to you what you're willing to spend and what sculpts interest you.

*you can get some Poxwalker variation from the Gellerpox boxset but these are a special unit used in Kill Team and I'm not sure what their rules are like for 40K but the models themselves are quite nice if you just want to paint them.

Thanks man, that's amazing. I like the look of those Gellerpox things more and I don't care about RULES (since I have absolutely zero interest in actually playing), so I might grab the basic bitch box and the gellerpox.

Thanks again. Going to pop out at lunch and grab some!

4 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Votaan you will likely struggle to get hold of until the unit boxes go on general sale, but there may be a few of the new army box knocking about.

They had two or three boxes of this, but at £105...I'll wait for a £30 box or something :lol:

Had the first round of a Battle Companies campaign last night. We have 6 guys, but only three turned up for this first day. So we had two games each with rivendell, rangers of the North, and my angmar.

Rangers v rivendell was a bloody draw with Kill the Messenger, with both sides having a model captured, so we played two games of A Daring Rescue with me as the defender.

I managed to slaughter all the elves with some amazing sniping from my archers, but got massacred in turn by the rangers, who removed all but one of my ten orcs, with the last failing a courage test and legging it.

After two rounds we were all pretty happy. The elves had lost an archer to killed outright, but amended to replace him with reinforcements and get a knight to boot. I managed to pick up an orc with and a warg rider, however one sergeant picked up an arm and leg wound.

The rangers player is very happy, though, picking up two additional rangers with spears. Man they're scary.

Anyway, fun games! Can't wait for round two.

f2ox4qxgioq91.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

p16ypz7hioq91.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

@Oracle those came together well, and extraordinarily fast! The last knight I painted took a month and that was just one of them.

Thanks, It’s a simple colour scheme for the two big boys (I bought the tyrant pre painted). They also lend themselves well to batch painting. 

The recipe was this:

(grey base primer, red primer angled at a distance, lead belcher for legs, red contrast for carapace and armour bits, rekheird flesh wash, liberator gold, stormhost silver & Ghenna gold for trims, that new sewer contrast paint for cables, wild rider red for some recess stuff)

There’s loads more I could do but the focus was getting them table too standard so I can play a game with them.  

So, having been on hiatus from miniature painting since COVID first became a thing, I've been persuaded to give Kill Team a go, which finally gave me the impetus to build and paint some of the Skitarii Getting Started box I've had since, well, Skitarii Getting Started boxes were a thing!

I'm rusty, and it turns out skitarii rangers and vanguards are very fiddly (and the colour scheme I came up with not particularly forgiving), and I'll definitely paint any future models while part-assembled, but I've had quite a nice time painting up my first seven miniatures. Which has just taken me to the end of my second audiobook, putting me at nineteen hours to assemble, batch paint and (mostly) base seven models :unsure: In my defence, that included about brush-priming the buggers in three layers of white, so would be somewhat sped up with access to spraypaint!

20220930_002402_copy_4000x1501_copy_3000x1125.thumb.jpg.4750f5a366af1f8f13fc6ec51684aadb.jpg

Only five more models to go (sicarians, hopefully a tad easier to paint with the lesser range of materials to handle) and I'll have twelve models for an eleven unit Hunter Clade kill team, so most of the way there now!

adeptus mechanicus skitarii. i have god knows how many sprues of these if you ever want to buy them off of me @Captain Kelsten think steampunk humans turned up to 11 that have embraced the machine god, cut off their legs and arms and replaced them with robot bits.  also most of them are radiation soaked husks

Yeah, those particular troops are the core troop of Adeptus Mechanicus (aka. the Tech-Priests of Mars). The entire Adeptus Mechanicus range are a pleasingly varied range of mechanical messes, with the baseline skitarii being the most "human".

The sicarians I'll be doing next are gangly, mechanical murder machines; on the full robot side you've Kataphron (Johnny-5's evil brothers) and Kastelans (goofy 50s-style hulking things); their jump infantry are wearing Da Vinci's flying machines; and their main battle tank is a giant tachicoma.

I love them. The only downside is they're fiddly models, thanks to lots of spindly, overlapping parts and a wide mix of textures to paint (metals, fabric, leather and wood), at least in the skitarii.

Very nice work @Wiper. I’ve got a sprue of those in the To Do pile, and I really want to do a Kastelan Robot after painting the base of my Necron Reanimator which has bits of a destroyed one thereon.

C2C77A2E-A306-426A-99B0-F540355E05ED.thumb.jpeg.defa2c71a50c3db866334781e954e01d.jpeg

For the Skitari I plan, as I often do, to follow Juan Hidalgo’s guide:

I really recommend watching this guy’s videos, even if you don’t use or don’t have contrast paints, as there are really good tips on glazing, highlighting etc,  and he has a really clean procedural way of working which I find very useful as a way of focussing my approach. 

51 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, those particular troops are the core troop of Adeptus Mechanicus (aka. the Tech-Priests of Mars). The entire Adeptus Mechanicus range are a pleasingly varied range of mechanical messes, with the baseline skitarii being the most "human".

The sicarians I'll be doing next are clunky, mechanical murder machines; on the full robot side you've Kataphron (Johnny-5's evil brothers) and Kastelans (goofy 50s-style hulking things); their jump infantry are wearing Da Vinci's flying machines; and their main battle tank is a giant tachicoma.

I love them. The only downside is they're fiddly models, thanks to lots of spindly, overlapping parts and a wide mix of textures to paint (metals, fabric, leather and wood), at least in the skitarii.

Man they're ace, love it :D 

I’m still not confident enough to try my hand at NMM, but I’m trying to be more controlled and precise with using TMM. I find it very easy to slap on some nuln oil and some Ryza rust for dirty/old metal, but achieving a nice clean look is surprisingly hard, in my experience. Quite pleased with these weapons - I built up glazes for the darker areas and for the shinier bits I used a combination of stippling, edge highlights and dry brushing for some texture.

A79AA359-4AF1-45E7-A3FA-A3F4A707CBE4.thumb.jpeg.139ed8f03fe7021daa119ccf7a7825ae.jpeg

I might try and push it further with some hot spots but I’m happy for now.

On 30/09/2022 at 01:08, Wiper said:

Only five more models to go (sicarians, hopefully a tad easier to paint with the lesser range of materials to handle)

Update: having started on my sicarian journey, I am a) happy to report that I'm confident they'll be easier to paint than skitarii, and b) less happy to report that it took nine hours to build them, thanks to each being made of ten tiny parts (thirteen for the squad leader), all with mould lines running through very visible, very difficult to reach with a knife/file areas. And I haven't yet green-stuffed the visible gaps where legs meet torso. Definitely the fiddliest basic infantry I've built!

1 hour ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Has anyone got the Kill Team Into the Dark set? It looks pretty awesome and for £100 in some places seems like a lot of value.

It does look great, but I would sound a note of caution:

When I started getting into painting Warhammer in late 2020 I started with three models and it rapidly snowballed into dozens, and now hundreds. 

The biggest damage done was when I got very excited by the Cursed City set for £65. Total bargain for 60 miniatures right? Yes, but I still haven’t finished them over a year later. Then I bought the Dominion Set. Another 60 miniatures. Still not finished. 

Now it’s not really a “problem” per se, but it can feel a bit overwhelming and I do feel some shame about the pile of unfinished minis. That’s very common in the hobby, and almost part of the fun, but I find that painting minis in batches of any more than 6-10 is a bit exhausting and truthfully I most enjoy painting single minis. 

The Into the Dark set “only” has 24 minis but lots of scenery (boring to paint IMO), and that’s a lot to bite off if you’re just starting out. I’m not saying don’t buy it, but as you’ve said you don’t play the games it might be too much in one go. 

Just my twopenneth. :)

Talking of single models, working on the Darkoath Chieftain at the moment. Going well so far, albeit with a long, long list of corrections and things to do…

6C0F88E9-7EC5-4ADE-9B28-6B8EAEE7C92D.thumb.jpeg.c7eb51b287706e489678bb43048e2541.jpeg

5F131A0A-875C-45B6-970B-CBCACCF09FBA.thumb.jpeg.2fd5a339314d2694918e7844a7c05bf6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Has anyone got the Kill Team Into the Dark set? It looks pretty awesome and for £100 in some places seems like a lot of value.

i think it's pretty bad value. well, that's not strictly fair, it's good value if you want a load of single story scenery to paint, like the random navy breacher dudes and kroot.