IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Highlights? Fuck that, I'll just drybrush the thing in white, and pretend it's snowing...

Didnt GW used to recommend that you undercoat the models in white? Couldn't see any on the shelf when I was looking in store yesterday so they must have switched entirely to black.

Depends on the colour you want to use. I remember the Dark Angles had to be undercoated in black, but Ultramarines in white.

Which is what I always thought. But all of the bumf I have in the box as well as the Space Marines painting guide now tells me to use Chaos Black for undercoat :(

Anyone have any idea where I might find that Vallejo paint set? I might treat myself to a couple of armies for Christmas, and get painting. I find it busts stress like a motherfucker.

Vallejo set

Didnt GW used to recommend that you undercoat the models in white? Couldn't see any on the shelf when I was looking in store yesterday so they must have switched entirely to black.

GW have been recommending black undercoats for quite a few years - the painting guides in the battle games of middle earth all used black. White is only used when the majority of the model will end up yellow like on Imperial Fists.

I used to collect the old blood angels, my parents were kind enough to pick me some up at a car boot sale. By some i mean literally a hundred hound-helm marines worth of parts in a big box. I think i painted them when i was ill for about a week, i still have a 'blood red' smear on my bedclothes to this day. They're all avid dustcollectors in a draw back home as far as i know.

It depends a lot on what you're doing really. White's always been my preferred undercoat, simply because the paint sticks better to a white undercoat than the black. But, it's a waste of time doing a white undercoat when you're painting something which is all made up of chainmail or darker colours.

Thanks for the link to those paints - they look great. The bottles don't look too big, but they seem rather nice. I'lll have to get those foundation pots though - they look fab.

One word of advice for folk just starting to paint though - never buy the citadel brushes - go to a decent artshop and get better and cheaper ones.

I hate this topic. I stopped painting GW stuff about 10 years ago now and sold my collection (some 40k and fantasy stuff) and discarded my paints and now I really want to get back into it.

Reading this has brought back just how much I enjoyed it. Think I'm going to make an investment, get some paints, a starter model set and the list and give it a go again.

One word of advice for folk just starting to paint though - never buy the citadel brushes - go to a decent artshop and get better and cheaper ones.

Bugger. I bought several yesterday :D

I hate this topic. I stopped painting GW stuff about 10 years ago now and sold my collection (some 40k and fantasy stuff) and discarded my paints and now I really want to get back into it.

Reading this has brought back just how much I enjoyed it. Think I'm going to make an investment, get some paints, a starter model set and the list and give it a go again.

Give it a go :( I'm going to keep a picture diary of my first painted models and post the results here.

Tell me about it!

If we're still doing it when the next Golden Demon awards crop up, who's up for a mini-RLLMUK meet there? Of course, remember to bring your deodorant and smelling salts.

I'm now busy reading the first book in the Horus Heresy series - Horus Rising. Can't put it down, it's really really good stuff - I want to model a 'nice' Horus!

Bugger. I bought several yesterday :D

Don't worry - they'll do the job for now!

The trick is this though - in artshops, you get to hold the brushes, take off the plastic guard on the bristles, and give them a good look - I always pop them in my mouth and see how well the bristles come up to a point - the crappy ones will have bits of hair a little bit longer than the rest, or they just won't go into a nice point. Which is a bit of a bugger when you're painting small things!

Another recommendation, and something which I always took to heart from John Blanche's paint jobs (the best miniature painter ever for me) - one of those Rapidograph fine detail pens - bloody expensive, but if you're doing fine detail wording or patterns, then they're fantastic.

Hmm, this is all from memory - bear in mind I haven't painted a figure for 4 years, so I preach far better than I practise :(

Is there a guide somewhere for painting and stuff? I was alright at drawing as a youth but I'm utterly kack handed at painting. Like, I've seen "proper" artists build up layers of colours in paintings, whereas I'd just paint bits I figure should be red in red, the black bits black and so on, with no technique to it.

Or is that ok? I've got a lead (can tell how long ago it was) Dark Angels marine set but they all looked rather crap and flat after I'd finished with them.

Is there a guide somewhere for painting and stuff? I was alright at drawing as a youth but I'm utterly kack handed at painting. Like, I've seen "proper" artists build up layers of colours in paintings, whereas I'd just paint bits I figure should be red in red, the black bits black and so on, with no technique to it.

Or is that ok? I've got a lead (can tell how long ago it was) Dark Angels marine set but they all looked rather crap and flat after I'd finished with them.

GW do a 'How to paint' book for abhout £12 I think. Whilst I usually hate to read guides and things, these guides are very useful to have around - my one's are ancient, but they do the job very nicely. If you're just starting though, I'd leave the 'blending' techniques out for a little while. It's the trickiest thing to master when you're starting, and there's a spectacularly fine line between it looking good, and simply looking like a utter mess.

Dry-brushing is your friend, and in many cases can do the job much better and more effectively than a blending job.

As ever though, start basic (which is what I'm going to be doing again when I pick up a brush!), and then work up to the harder techniques. Hell, paint a model, have a look at it, respray it and do it again!

There's a brief online guide on the US GW site.

Goes into some of the basics, much of which I imagine is in the how ot paint space marines book.

Black, white, it depends - it affects the lustre of the final colour.

GW do a 'How to paint' book for abhout £12 I think. Whilst I usually hate to read guides and things, these guides are very useful to have around - my one's are ancient, but they do the job very nicely.

The Space Marines one I bought yesterday is very good and goes into detail about everything from constructing, to blending etc with full colour pictures as well rather than some bland written instructions.

I feel sad that I had a massive sort through of all my Warhammer, 40k, Warmachine as well as the amazingly detailed french modles which I totally can't remember the name of this time last year when i moved house

Although i still have some really nice chracter models that i bought recently for both Warhammer and 40k that i'm going to most likely have a bash at next week when i've found my plastic cutters and my green stuff for some super fun character additions

As a side note has anyone seen the new release high elf stuff that came out a month or so ago? it's lush

:)

Poor old IG, they're not so bad now they've done a half decent plastic range for them, Catachans looked awful. I can't imagine how costly it was to build a full sized army when they were all metal.

Thats right, they were all metal, no wonder they cost so bloody much. I remember a funny tale now, me and playdoh must have been about 15 we decided to make a battle ground, so we used loads off cardboard and papie(sp?) mache to build a cool wasteland, but it took ages to dry so we put the oil heater in my room up full blast and went out all day. The bastard heat killed my gerbil :D

Brain dump with questions coming up...

Okay, if I'm going to pick up a few bits and pieces to get started I'd like to have a reasonable idea of the things I need:

Models

Glue

Brushes

Paints

Paint palete

Undercoat spray

Clippers/modeling knife

Anything I missed?

The Battle for Macragge Hobby set might be a reasonable start, along with the How to Paint book.

What paint colours come in this box, and are there any inks or the like, or just all pure colours?

I always used super glue for the metal models, but what is the best for the plastic ones? GW seem to sell some plastics one, any good?

The Battle for Macragge Hobby set might be a reasonable start, along with the How to Paint book.

What paint colours come in this box, and are there any inks or the like, or just all pure colours?

I always used super glue for the metal models, but what is the best for the plastic ones? GW seem to sell some plastics one, any good?

You have listed everything you need. The paint set comes with the Ultamarine and Tyrannides colours as well as a few basic ones. GW have some plastic glue at £2 so just buy a bottle of that. Its a must to keep the models together so dont forget!

As for paints I asked the guy in store if I would need anything else and he recommend four to add to the ones in the hobby set: Shining Gold, Vomit Brown, Boltgun Metal, Ultramarines Blue and Chaos Black spray for the undercoats.

Pick up one of those drills out of GW for pinning metal models. Pick up some paper clips (non brassed ones) and cut them down to use as pins.

I'd leave that until you actually buy some metal models as everything in the Macragge set is plastic. Theres more than enough included in it for a beginner to start out with so I wouldnt recommend buying other models until you are capable of painting the ones included. Just use them to practice.

Brain dump with questions coming up...

Okay, if I'm going to pick up a few bits and pieces to get started I'd like to have a reasonable idea of the things I need:

Models

Glue

Brushes

Paints

Paint palete

Undercoat spray

Clippers/modeling knife

Anything I missed?

Don't bother with a paint palette. Well, unless you don't have a wee saucer or something to use. Ceramic plates are great for mixing paint on - something about the slightly cold feel of the plate keeps the paint more fluid...well, for a little while longer anyways.

Bit of sand for your bases though - or flock. I'm not sure about the static grass though - it tends to be so bloody bright it can overshadow the figure itself.

Oh, and I know it was posted up above, but I really recommend that CoolMiniOrNot place to get some inspiration...the quality of some of the folks' work there is staggering (I mean scratch-built titans, Ork things...you name it!). I'd be fairly daunted about showing my work there, but it's got some lovely work.

However, in my fragile painting state, here seems very nice.

I feel sad that I had a massive sort through of all my Warhammer, 40k, Warmachine as well as the amazingly detailed french modles which I totally can't remember the name of this time last year when i moved house

Do you mean Confrontation? Those miniatures are amazing and I plan to paint a Lion of Alahan force once my skill level can do them justice.

Don't bother with a paint palette. Well, unless you don't have a wee saucer or something to use. Ceramic plates are great for mixing paint on - something about the slightly cold feel of the plate keeps the paint more fluid...well, for a little while longer anyways.

Ah, good point. I'll treat myself to a new white sourcer then :)