IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I've been painting my Imperial Guard. Slowly. Please excuse the crap photo, and some of the guys being without arms... but lets face it, they wouldn't be MUCH more dangerous with their Lasguns attatched anyway.

Death Korps of Krieg!

I love those figures - are they the ones in resin from Forge World? Must buy some...temptation rising...must...resist

I love those figures - are they the ones in resin from Forge World? Must buy some...temptation rising...must...resist

Resist indeed.

I'm a couple of models off finishing my full sized (50 man) Conscript unit. In Resin. It's cost me close to a pound per in-game point to field the damned thing, but it looks pretty impressive, as I chose to represent the conscripts with Krieg 'at ease' models. They looks completely unprepared.

For the sake of my bank balence, this is a long term project.

Prolly a silly question but I havent read the rules yet just the painting books. Can you mix armies? Say a unit of Space Wolves with some from Ultramarines etc during battle?

As far as I can remember from older editions, you could certainly have a % of your army as allies, but quite what you were allowed I can't remember.

Having said that, if you faffing around with friends, then surely anything goes!

As far as I can remember from older editions, you could certainly have a % of your army as allies, but quite what you were allowed I can't remember.

Having said that, if you faffing around with friends, then surely anything goes!

I fancy building an Ultramarine army but would like a unit of Blood Angels or Space Wolves. Both have an appeal but not enough to be my main steadfast units.

Prolly a silly question but I havent read the rules yet just the painting books. Can you mix armies? Say a unit of Space Wolves with some from Ultramarines etc during battle?

Not sure off the top of my head when it comes to Marines, but normally there are rules for taking allies within your own sphere. I can ROUGHLY remember that you can take units from another codex or allied force (Marines and IG) as HQ 0-1, Fast Attack 0-1, and Elites 0-1 and Troops 0-2.

No heavy stuff.

Failing that, if you like a lot of their stuff you can take them as a seperate detatchment, but that of course means filling mandatory HQ and Troops choices.

Or even failing that, ask your opponent if he doesn't mind mixing and matching. Heh.

I fancy building an Ultramarine army but would like a unit of Blood Angels or Space Wolves. Both have an appeal but not enough to be my main steadfast units.

I dunno, fans of the mythos like myself would be a bit peeved if that was your regular army. Blood Angels would never fight under Ultramarine command!

I dunno, fans of the mythos like myself would be a bit peeved if that was your regular army. Blood Angels would never fight under Ultramarine command!

And the Ultramarines wouldn't be happy working with people who are so divergent, in both gene seed purity and that big old book of tactics the Emperor wrote that's got a pidgeon latin name.

At least they're not the Dark Angels, right?

Do you mean Confrontation? Those miniatures are amazing and I plan to paint a Lion of Alahan force once my skill level can do them justice.

God yes they were amazing! I used to take real pride in buying loads of character based modles as there just so much more detailed than the warhammer ones

I really really wish i hadn't cleared everything out last year - stupid parents moaning due to lack of space and the fact that "girls don't play with model miniature" :)

so utterly gay

John Blanche's paint jobs (the best miniature painter ever for me)

Same here, I love(d) his stuff and his artwork too.

To me the modeling & painting was always the bit I enjoyed the most when I use to play - I stopped about 2000. Earlier in this year a colleague lent me the Horus Hersey books and it rekindled my interest so I picked up some model (Harliquins as they were the first things I ever painted way back in ~ '94) and some paints. Haven't spent as much time as I'd like doing it, but this thread has piqued my interest again.

At the first lionhead xmas party I went to I complained to Steve Jackson for GW taking all my money as a teenager...

Dry-brushing is your friend, and in many cases can do the job much better and more effectively than a blending job.

Lies ;) Drybrushing will always come out very scratchy and untidy. It's fine for stuff like fur or chainmail but you'll come out with a much nicer finish layering the paints on if it's any kind of flat surface (plate armour, weapons etc) or even just flat colours.

As for the undercoat, I've always used black. I'm painting a high elf army at the moment of which a lot of it is white and i'll still use a black undercoat. This is mainly because i'll always start off with a much darker colour first so even a white area will be painted a dark grey and then progressively lighter greys over the top until you get to white.

Sadly though i'm the slowest painter in the world and I actually finish so few models :P Practice is just the key though and concentrating on neatness more than anything, especially for normal troops. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. I still have the first model I ever painted so i'll post a pic of that, a model I used at my interview for GW and a figure I painted after I finished working there (just to show the difference that painting every day pretty much can make).

If you're playing with friends, you can actually do anything you want. In my experience, Warhammer 40k battles, when you're just aiming to destroy the other army, are pretty soulless. Look through the rulebook at the objective based games, and try to come up with stories for mini-campaigns - makes things far more fun.

If you're playing with friends, you can actually do anything you want. In my experience, Warhammer 40k battles, when you're just aiming to destroy the other army, are pretty soulless. Look through the rulebook at the objective based games, and try to come up with stories for mini-campaigns - makes things far more fun.

I dont know anyone into the game besides the folks on here. So the only time I'll get to play is in the GW store ;)

Lies ;) Drybrushing will always come out very scratchy and untidy. It's fine for stuff like fur or chainmail but you'll come out with a much nicer finish layering the paints on if it's any kind of flat surface (plate armour, weapons etc) or even just flat colours.

You're right...but I do think it depends on what the model is you're painting, and how careful you are with the drybrushing! Dry brushing, then applying a glaze (and repeating as much as you want) can give you some lovely effects and fairly swiftly...and I do like that slightly weathered effect on some models (the undead always look better with with drybrushing, if you ask me).

However, blending is the ideal if you're doing something special, but for folk starting out it can be very, very frustrating - when I first tried it out, I just could not do it right at all. It took a lot of figures for me to be happy with the results...well worth it though!

EDIT: with regard to the undercoat preferances...Come to think of it, I reckon the main reason I sprayed everything white with wild abandon is because after the undercoat, the models looked so nice and clean! I could see all the details!

I was really into Warhammer as a kid - I used to ask to paint my friends armies I loved it so much. I played 40k regularly (Eldar - won tournaments a few times) and played Warhammer with a Chaos army (which I was awful with). Made a 40k Ork Gargant out of cardboard and an Ork Bonecrusha out of balsa wood. Tried making a Baneblade Imperial Guard tank but gave up halfway. I played Man O'War, Blood Bowl, Space Hulk and most of those hex cardboard games too.

I'll take photos of some of my miniatures next time I'm back in my parents house, I thought some were pretty cool.

It's funny, my missus is very tolerant of my geeky ways with computers and games but she freaks when I want to have a quick look around Games Workshop, she hates it.

EDIT: with regard to the undercoat preferances...Come to think of it, I reckon the main reason I sprayed everything white with wild abandon is because after the undercoat, the models looked so nice and clean! I could see all the details!

The problem with white is that it makes everything stand out from the dark recesses of the model. When you are starting out its easy for the odd sliver to still show, just look at my first post picture up close ;).

It's funny, my missus is very tolerant of my geeky ways with computers and games but she freaks when I want to have a quick look around Games Workshop, she hates it.

You can kinda see why, as much as i loved it when i were younger and to an extent still do, its a few rungs below games/computers in the geek ladder in the mainstreams publics eye kinda how games used to be pre 2000ish. I dont mind telling the fashionable lassys at uni that i like games, but saying i liked Warhammer well thats too much. Or at least thtas my perception.

You can kinda see why, as much as i loved it when i were younger and to an extent still do, its a few rungs below games/computers in the geek ladder in the mainstreams publics eye kinda how games used to be pre 2000ish. I dont mind telling the fashionable lassys at uni that i like games, but saying i liked Warhammer well thats too much. Or at least thtas my perception.

Yeah baby look at my Orks...just doesnt seem quite right.