Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Quick question lads...

I thought I'd put my first five minis on eBay. Don't really care if they don't sell, more of an experiment to see whether I could at least get my money back on them.

They're these ones here:

5kommandos.jpg

Do you reckon £15 (plus £5 P&P) is a fair amount to start off with?

I only paid £15 for the things anyway, so even if I got only one bid, I'd be happy enough.

5kommandos.jpg

Do you reckon £15 (plus £5 P&P) is a fair amount to start off with?

I've just seen a very crappy painted Dreadnought sell for £16. It looked like a child did it. I'd put something in your description about being professionally painted and put plenty of closeup shots. Start the bidding at 99p as theres just noway those models will go for a small amount. I cant believe how good they are, I dont like you anymore :lol: Why dont mine look so good.

I've just seen a very crappy painted Dreadnought sell for £16. It looked like a child did it. I'd put something in your description about being professionally painted and put plenty of closeup shots. Start the bidding at 99p as theres just noway those models will go for a small amount. I cant believe how good they are, I dont like you anymore :lol: Why dont mine look so good.

Bare in mind that I'm only doing the odd figure here and there - god knows that if I tried to do a whole army I'd be fairly useless (one of the reasons why I always played with an undead army - man, I could paint skeletons very quickly indeed!), as I have a very low threshold for painting the same thing over and over again - it's a distinct skill in itself and there are some absolutely awe-inpiring armies out there, which I could never hope to replicate!

Bare in mind that I'm only doing the odd figure here and there - god knows that if I tried to do a whole army I'd be fairly useless (one of the reasons why I always played with an undead army - man, I could paint skeletons very quickly indeed!), as I have a very low threshold for painting the same thing over and over again - it's a distinct skill in itself and there are some absolutely awe-inpiring armies out there, which I could never hope to replicate!

Its funny you should say that because Ive had a similar problem today with backpacks. I have 15 of the buggers to paint and I started off well enough by painting parts of them blue. But after a couple of hours I really just wanted to give in and do something else. Yet I dont have the same problem painting the main figures as theres always something different to pain and I can move to different areas. :lol: If there were a backpack painting service available Id be sorely tempted to buy!

Its funny you should say that because Ive had a similar problem today with backpacks. I have 15 of the buggers to paint and I started off well enough by painting parts of them blue. But after a couple of hours I really just wanted to give in and do something else. Yet I dont have the same problem painting the main figures as theres always something different to pain and I can move to different areas. :lol: If there were a backpack painting service available Id be sorely tempted to buy!

Well, I don't know how you feel about dry-brushing, but it might be an option on the things. I personally think dry-brushing is a fantastic tool and can look really effective (although some folk seem to think it's above them to do such a thing...Personally, if the look works, then do it!). Whatever the colour you've got - and I'm assuming it's blue for your marines, just bung it all on the thing - but in a darker shade than usual. Two lots of drybrushing in successive highlights (maybe three? I dunno, sometimes I just carry on going!) and then detailing the metal bits if necessary. It does the job magnificently.

In fact, I'm going to be sad, fish out a backpack and do it myself...

(I'm now going to be heading for a fall, as it'll probably look awful).

Well, I don't know how you feel about dry-brushing, but it might be an option on the things. I personally think dry-brushing is a fantastic tool and can look really effective (although some folk seem to think it's above them to do such a thing...Personally, if the look works, then do it!). Whatever the colour you've got - and I'm assuming it's blue for your marines, just bung it all on the thing - but in a darker shade than usual. Two lots of drybrushing in successive highlights (maybe three? I dunno, sometimes I just carry on going!) and then detailing the metal bits if necessary. It does the job magnificently.

I've been considering doing some dry brushing as from what Ive seen from various books, sites, pictures etc it does a bloody brilliant job. However my biggest concern is the upcoming meet. At the moment I have 10 marines which needs transfer and less than 2 months to do another 20 plus tank so I think I am extremely pushed for time :P I feel it best to get them done as quickly as possible so dont think my technique will come much into play. Once the meet is over and done however I am going to take my time and try to improve my painting skills which probably means I'll end up buying a load of new units to replace the current ones.

At present I've just been putting a coat of foundation blue onto the model and then topping that off with Ultramarine blue as the guy in the shop told me that by doing so you dont have to bother with any other layers then. I think he has a point because the colour does come out pretty well its just I need to start using a thinner layer of UM Blue on top. I really want to get into highlights but again feel thats an after meet thing to do.

One thing I would like to paint is a venerable dreadnought as I think they are the bees knees of that model type and a worthy addition to any Space Marine army. However I'd like it to actually good so will be working upto that one ;) I just have so many things to paint!

Here you go!

DSC00853.jpg

I messed up with a couple of shots, so you get stage 1 and 2, and really there were two other stages after them.

1.Darker base coat than usual

2.'Over-brush' with Ultra marines blue (I hate that term...Don't wipe off as much bloody paint and then apply!)

3. Bung in some white into the blue mix and 'overbrush' again (urgh)

4. Little bit more white into the mix and properly dry-brush that in.

5. Detail the rivets and stuff to order!

Obviously, that was a very rush job - 10 mins, if that. And if I was doing a squad, I might have actually just done a very, very thin blue wash over everything to tone things down a spot, but I dunno - I've always liked that rough and ready look.

What you can't see from the photo is the back of the thing, which never gets painted - and if you're undercoating in black, you can leave that well alone!

Are you painting those backpacks separately and then sticking them on? I think that's probably what I'd do if I had a load.

Well, that was fun, but I can appreciate that painting hundreds of the things would be quite annoying...In fact, why not just miss out the fine details at first? I mean, do 'em all, but then go back to them in time...I find matt varnish suprisingly workable when you paint over it!

DSC00853.jpg

Im doing them in stages. So all the blue bits first (I'm not bothering with foundation just painting over the Chaos black as its too small to notice any difference) followed by the silver trims (those pipes at an angle to the bottom left and right), then the silver rim around the round pokey out things, topped off with silver lines inside those (which I just do by adding a minute bit of paint to a brush and stroking it over them to cover everything.

The problem Ive found with painting everything blue is that you have to do an extra layer of silver to cover it up :P Ive also been painting the backs as well though I havent been very careful with the bit that glue the models together but the bit of piping at the top end is visible on the model so needs great care.

The one you did looks bloody good though! Highlights FTW ;)

Edit. Silver being boltgun metal. Sorry about the blurry photo but its the best I can do :lol:

34zx1d2.jpg

I've finally got my 500 point army set in stone.

HQ

Jetbike Autarch With Laser Lance - 120

Elites

Howling Banshees - 4 + Exarch (Mirrorswords + War Shout + Acrobatic) - 112

Troops

Jetbike Guardians x3 (1 Shuricannon) - 76

Jetbike Guardians x3 (1 Shuricannon) - 76

Heavy

Fire Prism - 115

Total: 499 points

I'm glad I managed to sqeeze the Fire Prism in. The choice was between that, a Vyper with bright lance and holo-field, or another Autarch, but it had to be the Prism really. For a start, I bought one pre-painted. ;)

Painting the rest shouldn't take too long either. Eldar units may be expensive, but as a result they sure save on painting time. Of course, the 1,500 point Ork infantry army I have planned will be a different matter.

Done. B)

Mogster - what you need is this lovely lady...

img4713ae0f5d5fb.jpg

The bloke built it completely from scratch, and I have to say it's one of the most fantastic models I've ever seen - the painting is not the absolute best, but the figure is just...wow.

Okay, so I couldn't let the backpack sit by itself. I just decided to do a marine as quickly as possible...

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

Purely drybrushing, with a little bit of spot detail...I'm not even going to show you the embarassment of my version of the Crimson Fist logo - I vaguely remembered what it looked like, but I couldn't be arsed to do it properly!

30-45 minutes it took, including the base (which actually I quite like! Slate and spot grass for the win!).

Point is that obviously the model doesn't hold up that well to close inspection, but I reckon as a table-top figure it does the job. Which is why I love dry-brushing! Also, it kind of makes the thing a bit more rugged really - I always love looking at carefully blended figures, but quite honestly they look like they're probably pussies in a fight :(

EDIT: I forgot...after all the drybrushing I actually put on a thinnish wash of Purple...don't ask, it seemed to darken things okay!

Looks good. Did you just drybrush straight onto the chaos black undercoat spray?

Actually, I found a really old sprue which I'd sprayed white. Stuck the legs on, and base coated that. Did the same with the torso. Did the drybrush thing with that, and then stuck the head on. On the sprus, I just painted the back bits of the arms black (stuff which you don't see), and the backs of the shoulderpads too. Stuck the gun holding hand on after I'd drybrushed the silver breastplate. Bunged on black all over the gun before attaching and then drybrushed that too. the rest I just stuck on afterwards. I actually just did a very quick bit of brown drybrushing on the leg areas to give it a bit of a dirty look.

Might just do a little bit more drybrushing on the shoulderpads now - I was farting around with doing detail on them, and given the time I set myself, there was no way that they'd be really any good, so I just stopped.

Bare in mind that the 45 minutes would have been quicker had I not had to wait for the paint to dry, so I suppose you could get a squad done in a little over an hour if you sped through - I used a big brush for the drybrushing though - flat head and does everything!

JoeK you little blighter, this drybrushing is AMAZING! Its taken about 10 minutes to do a foundation undercoat and another 15 to do a rough armour UM blue on top of that and the model looks fantastic :( Before I was just putting some watered down paint on and doing everything bit by bit. Was taking forever but DB is uber quick and gives a ten times better looking model. God I love painting....still hate backpacks though :)

My next problem is the armour trims. They are meant to be done with Shining Gold but its a pain in the arse to use as it looks a bit patchy when I normally paint, anything I can do to make that look better? I take it DB wont work as well with it?

I must say, personally I can't stand drybrushing on things like Marines. Anything with large flat areas really. I always keep drybrushing purely for heavily textured areas, like fur or chainmail.

Has anyone checked out the US Games Workshop web page? It seems to have loads more content compared to the Uk one, especially in terms of painting and modelling guides.

My next problem is the armour trims. They are meant to be done with Shining Gold but its a pain in the arse to use as it looks a bit patchy when I normally paint, anything I can do to make that look better? I take it DB wont work as well with it?

I hate coloured metals! They never go on particularly well. I'd base coat the trim in a brown/orange mix, put on the gold fairly thinly to see who that looks - might need a couple of coats of it though. I'd then just very lightly drybrush on some mithril silver for the shine. To be honest though, I'd just experiment a bit - I haven't touched gold for years, so I've very ropey on the subject!

I must say, personally I can't stand drybrushing on things like Marines. Anything with large flat areas really. I always keep drybrushing purely for heavily textured areas, like fur or chainmail.

I suppose drybrushing can be a bit of a marmite thing - I've always been much more of a fan of 'gritty' realism myself, and an awful lot of marines I see are wonderfully painted and look amazing, and that's great for a stand-alone figure. But for me, an army of beautifully painted, smoothly blended soldiers looks slightly odd...gruff realist that I am ;)

However, a big argument I have for drybrushing is that is teaches you how to highlight - it shows you (albeit roughly) where light can fall on a model, and in that respect I'd always advocate doing something like this as an experiment!

In other news I received my package of basing materials! For the princely sum of £5 (plus about £1.60 p&p) I got all this:

DSC00862.jpg

They're small bags, but there's just loads there! I'll never buy stuff from anyone else! Even got a wee bag of small leaves!! Real ones! Bloody great!

I think its a great help after trying it depending on your painting skill. My previous work was a bit poor to be honest and up close looked a bit splodgy. But just by doing a bit of drybrushing everything looks far more defined and the armour actually looks like armour, rather than plastic with blue splodged on :rolleyes:

Hi, ive not played for years and years, must be around 10 now actually, but i dug up some of my old Chaos Terminators out, so here's a pic of 2 battered up Chaos Terminators painted when i was 14 or so. I wish i could find the other three. I also wish my paints weren't all blocks of hard acrylic now also. this thread has bred my desire to get back into it.

TERM.jpg

In other news I received my package of basing materials! For the princely sum of £5 (plus about £1.60 p&p) I got all this:

DSC00862.jpg

They're small bags, but there's just loads there! I'll never buy stuff from anyone else! Even got a wee bag of small leaves!! Real ones! Bloody great!

cool, where from?