IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I used to collect Citadel minatures for a while back in the mid-eighties. I wish I had some pictures of stuff I painted as they were literally the worst paint jobs I have ever seen. Great daubs of paint completely destroying the details of the models and great huge bright blue blobs for eyes, each of which used about a third of the model's face. Truly, truly awful.

Anyway, since playing Dawn of War I rather like the 40K universe, but I don't play PC games any more. I was hoping that Squad Commander on the PSP would have loads of Skirmish maps and lots of different races to play as and let you change colour schemes and all that, but it doesn't. I'm even sure if it has any Skirmish play against AI.

I'm kind of tempted by the 40K rulebook just to get background on the races, but it's about thity quid or something terrible like that. I'd also like some minatures, but I'd need to get some pre-painted ones because there's no way I'm ever going to try painting things myself again.

Also, my wife who is the same as Looper's - she tolerates all geekdom except Games Workshop. I'd have to keep everything in the office or be much ridiculed.

I might pop across to the newsagents and get a copy of White Dwarf at lunch time. I don't think I've read it since it stopped covering non-GW stuff. Maybe it's time to dig out my Talisman, Judge Dredd and Chainsaw Warrior games. (My Golden Heroes and Blood Bowl sets disappeared a long, long time ago. And, thinking about it, I don't think I've seen the others since we moved. I hope they didn't get thrown out.) Having no friends into this stuff when I was a kid I used to play a lot of Chainsaw Warrior. And I used to roll Golden Heroes characters all the time and then file them away in the box. I never actually played it.

I found one of mine on a website! Crappy scan, and not overly impressive, but enough to win me a 3rd place trophy in the young bloods category at Golden Demon '98, so I was chuffed with it ;) (I was 14)

UK%201998%20youngblood%203%20Mark%20Brett.jpg

There's various words written in Latin gothic writing round the hem of his robe but they don't really show up too well here.

I love the lighting from the flames. Cor.

o_O

How did he manage to give the effect of the flames glowing? Or is that just an optical illusion from the contrast of light and dark colours or something?

Amazing.

edit - the above model there is stonking, too. Bah, I'm so crap in comparison.

Here's some of my Necromunda gang I was working on earlier this year

CIMG0948.jpgCIMG0950.jpgCIMG0949.jpg

Full gallery here - http://picasaweb.google.com/benc.uk/Necromunda

I'm rather pleased with them - seeing as they were done after a 12 year gap of not playing or painting. Not touched a GW game in a while now, simply don't have the time! and 40k really put me off - it's a rubbish game when it boils down to it you might as well roll a bucket full of D6 and see who gets the highest total. I realised this AFTER I spent a fortune on a complete Necron army!

That gang looks great! Love the colour scheme you've gone for. I agree about the 40k stuff. I've always liked to skirmish games more, really got into Gorkamorka and Battlefleet Gothic back in the day. There's been some talk of starting some Mordheim up at work seeing as we have a spare desk over in our corner of the office, so looks like I might actually get paining again! Gawd, it's been many, MANY years!

40K was reworked so that it's more about squad strategy than low-level, per-character tactics, because games using more than about 500 points of figures would need more than a day to complete. So if you picked up the old rules, you might like 40K more. (The Codexes were certainly a lot better back then.)

40K was reworked so that it's more about squad strategy than low-level, per-character tactics, because games using more than about 500 points of figures would need more than a day to complete. So if you picked up the old rules, you might like 40K more. (The Codexes were certainly a lot better back then.)

I have the 1st edition of 40K sitting above me on the shelf, it's an amazing old book.

Doubt I'd find anyone will to play it though - that's why I think we plumped for Necromunda

There is the 40K RPG to look forward to early next year too :(

The thing is I really like the setting and the universe they've created - just don't like the actual game that much!

The sad thing about this is I bet its a right pain in the arse finding people to actually play :D

Yup...

I joined a big-ish games club a year or two back; it was all Games Workshop or ancient battle stuff (DBM), the other systems didn't get a look in. We used to get some funny looks playing Hybrid (another Rackham game)

Shame really as I wanted to play Warmachine :(

I found one of mine on a website! Crappy scan, and not overly impressive, but enough to win me a 3rd place trophy in the young bloods category at Golden Demon '98, so I was chuffed with it :( (I was 14)

There's various words written in Latin gothic writing round the hem of his robe but they don't really show up too well here.

I remember that one- it's on a poster I've got lying around somewhere.

Games Workshop need to have special sealed bags with no logo on them.

I was in town today and tempted to go in and get the stuff to set me up, but then I realised everyone at work would see this stuff and decided against it. A nice plain black plastic bag, with tie handles at the top so no one can see in the top, and no transparent parts would be perfect.

I was in town today and tempted to go in and get the stuff to set me up, but then I realised everyone at work would see this stuff and decided against it. A nice plain black plastic bag, with tie handles at the top so no one can see in the top, and no transparent parts would be perfect.

My thoughts exactly. I dragged my younger brother along with me and had him carry the bag as we walked back through town.

Being "Old School" I liked GW when the sold other games not just Warhammer and 40K and White Dwarf covered Runequest, D&D, AD&D, TRaveller, Call of Cthulhu etc.

I also liked a lot of the games GW published in the UK - Golden Heroes, Judge Dredd, Battle Cars Talisman.

And they published D&D and Runequest in the Uk at different times.

But I never got into Warhammer or 40K. So by the time GW concentrated only on their own stuff I had stopped going there or buying anything from them.

Yeah, GW used to support the entire hobby - I just hated the way they appeared to kill the UK games market by ruthlessly marketing their own products and ignoring everything else, driving the age range down to the pre-pubescent and early teen market. Sure, what they do they do awesomely well, but they used to do so much more.

Maybe that's the way it was going anyway (I remember all the Oxford Street games shops closing down and Virgin buying them up) and they rode the trend well, but to me, they stifled any variety left in hobbyist gaming in the UK. Mind you, when they did try to diversify, it wasn't too successful - the Runequest books they did after getting the AH licence were shoddy jobs, and so on.

A mate tried to interest me in the original Warhammer, but it was clearly just a wargame with elves and dwarves - not a proper roleplaying game :(

Edit: but some nice paint jobs in here, lads.

There's always these complaints about GW, but they're all pretty much grounded in fantasy. GW couldn't be expected to promote games from other companies in their own magazine, it makes much more sense for them to promote their own stuff especially in a market that was declining anyway.

They always get critism about dropping games and such, but the business is built on selling models and anything that stops selling stops being produced. Espeically games that only require a handful of models but they've been pretty good recently in putting the rules for these things online (although it was a shame they stopped fanatic magazine).

There's no other shop like GW ones on the high street though. I couldn't buy a game from ebay for my console and go into Game to play it multiplayer with other people just for fun for instance.

Anyway, 40k and Lord of the Rings are for kids. Warhammer on the other hand is a fantastic game :(

GW couldn't be expected to promote games from other companies in their own magazine,

Well, they'd started off as just a distributor of imported RPGs, so they really could've. They're not that sort of company any more, of course, they are Warhammer in its various guises for all intents and purposes now.

Well, they'd started off as just a distributor of imported RPGs, so they really could've. They're not that sort of company any more, of course, they are Warhammer in its various guises for all intents and purposes now.

True, but if they stayed that way though they would have long ago been bought out or have been put out of business by another company self distributing most likely.

There's always these complaints about GW, but they're all pretty much grounded in fantasy. GW couldn't be expected to promote games from other companies in their own magazine, it makes much more sense for them to promote their own stuff especially in a market that was declining anyway.

No, that's exactly what they did, how they started, and how they initially expanded. WD was a fantastic resource in the old days for all sorts of games. And even if you look at their own games, they used to do a huge range of board games - some excellent designs - in addition to just WH and figurines. Before the original WH, they were a great, general hobby chain selling everything.

The point about the market declining is true - but from where I was standing, they chose to drive it down and ruthlessly chase one particular market. Makes great business sense - they are profitable in their niche - but it could have been different. Meh, I can always buy good games from the Germans, I guess.

They always get critism about dropping games and such, but the business is built on selling models and anything that stops selling stops being produced.

It is now - it wasn't always; this is a successful (if cynically ruthless) business model.

On the other hand, they do what they do very well, to a hugely appreciative audience, who they support very well (and I'm willing to bet most employees are hired from the legions of fans). But it's all so sterile and self-referential; there's nothing outside of the WH mythos unless something is big enough to bull its way into their notice - like LOTR, for example.

It's like I don't want to kick them, but I kinda blame them for not being better than they chose to be. Weird, innit? I guess it's like EA going from a developer that celebrated the creativity of individual designers to a franchise-spewing monster.