IGNORED

I'm not eating that!

Fusty Gusset

Sprouts - I have boiled sprouts with almost every single meal now, usually with cauliflower and/or broccoli.

It is an easy way to fulfil my two vegerable quota of the day, and they taste awesome and can be eaten with pretty much anything.

Duck. Swore I'd never eat them, being so cute an' all (them, not me) and now I'm determined to make up for lost time.

Sorry ducks.

I'm sure I've eaten armies of ducks by now. I think at one point we had crispy duck for dinner every friday for about 5 months in a row and I still never got tired of eating it.

I've sort of gone the opposite way with duck - used to love it, but when I got my first job I had a room that almost overlooked a big pond and I'd get a big family of ducks regularly coming up to my window so I'd throw them some crumbs - I gave all the ducklings names like Trotsky, Bulgarin, Stalin, Lenin - and every few days there'd be one less fluffy baby duck :wacko:

Sprouts - I have boiled sprouts with almost every single meal now, usually with cauliflower and/or broccoli.

It is an easy way to fulfil my two vegerable quota of the day, and they taste awesome and can be eaten with pretty much anything.

Nooooo! They're like fifty cabbages concentrated into a tiny recepticle, unspeakably foul. Sorry for the derailment, but I just cannot abide them.

I've very seldom changed my opinion on a foodstuff, I think the only example I can remember would be stuffing. The taste was just too overpowering in my younger years, like concentrated mustiness, but now I find it quite delicious.

I've sort of gone the opposite way with duck - used to love it, but when I got my first job I had a room that almost overlooked a big pond and I'd get a big family of ducks regularly coming up to my window so I'd throw them some crumbs - I gave all the ducklings names like Trotsky, Bulgarin, Stalin, Lenin - and every few days there'd be one less fluffy baby duck :wacko:

It wasn't me!

It wasn't me!

Well, there was a distinct whiff of cheese on toast in the air around the times of the vanishings...

Anyway: Veiny cheese. Really strong, smelly sock toejam stuff that made me heave as a kid now makes the cheeseboard complete.

People's tastes adapt as we grow though, so strong stuff I found awful as a boy (strong cheeses, olives, beer, spices, etc) are quite often my favourite things to consume. In fact, one of my greatest pleasures is trying different and unusual foods with intense flavours... but you can keep your placenta for now (I mean generally, not kit's!)

Roasted parsnips.

Hell yes! In Sunday roast goodness, they've probably overtaken the average roast potato now, whereas a few years ago I wouldn't even put the on my plate. Randomly decided to try it one day and, man Jesus, it was beautiful!

Also, sweet potato, but only cooked in particular ways.

Olives

Spicy-olive-tastic!

Indeed! I used to really despise olives. And there aren't too many foodstuffs that I genuinely dislike.

Earlier this year I forced myself to eat one, because it was stuffed with a whole chilli (and I love the spice).

And it was delicious. Since then, I have gradually been won over.

I've grown to like a hell of a lot of things i never used to touch. I barely ate anything as a child, passing on the simplest thing such as peas, carrots and sweetcorn, but now i'd eat practically anything. Olives are quite a recent turn around too, but also mushrooms. :wub:

I've grown to like a hell of a lot of things i never used to touch. I barely ate anything as a child, passing on the simplest thing such as peas, carrots and sweetcorn, but now i'd eat practically anything. Olives are quite a recent turn around too, but also mushrooms. :wub:

I've gone the other way with mushrooms. Besides not being very tasty, the texture is pretty unappetising (squidgy). I stopped using them in cooking and we consequently stopped buying them. Don't miss them.

Garlic mushrooms are alright though.

I think fried mushrooms are the only thing where I've gone from hating to loving, but that's probably as much to do with the way my mum used to cook the absolutely swimming in oil as my tastes changing.

There are a few things I've gone off as I've got older though; I regularly used to eat raw carrots as a child, but now can't stand them unless they've been boiled to much most of the carroty taste has gone. I'm pretty sure I used to like custard when I was young too. Olives are another; I can still eat them, but it's more a case of "bearable" when I used to love them.

Raw carrots. Must go back to a childhood fear of anything crunchy and good for me, but I really enjoy a crunchy carrot to eat these days. Usually eaten when preparing Sunday dinner.

Stilly, what I'd recommend for pre-lunch nibbles is taking two carrots, skinning them, then cutting furrows into them. Then you smother some butter/margerine on your hands, and work that into the carrots, before putting on a little salt. Then microwave them for 60 seconds.

Gorgeous. Just don't use too much butter or salt, you need very little.