IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

• 2 weeks later...

Joined my local (Norwich) board game group for the first time last week, I'm feeling so stupid for not doing it sooner! What a lovely bunch of people, felt like playing with mates, highly recommended for anyone in the region. Tuesdays at the mash tun!

It's going to save me a lot of money also as I can try things I'm curious about there instead of having to buy them.

A bunch of us played that (Keep talking and Nobody Explodes) at the weekend, and it was excellent.

The morse-code modules at 1am while drunk was perhaps not our greatest success ("Beep, beep-beep, beeeep, beep bep beep, bee...beep"), but it was hilarious; definitely recommended.

I think vampire is suited to werewolf vets maybe, we had 10 and many had never played the original so the learning curve was impossible.

I think vampire is suited to werewolf vets maybe, we had 10 and many had never played the original so the learning curve was impossible.

What a game! First turn having the cocky Tommy the soldier die set the tone nicely. It tells a story, even though there was no betrayer two of us started acting very shifty about medicine towards the end, feeding our doubts. Clever, simple game to play, highly recommended if you want interaction, theme and story.

Has anyone played the Timeline card games? Eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asmodee-Games-TIM01USASM-Timeline-Inventions/dp/B005N57CNU/ref=pd_sim_21_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51EBoVep3TL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR151%2C160_&refRID=052EG9G739Q7N8WSWJPY

They seem like good Christmas Day fodder, but I can't really see anything conclusive about how easy it is when played by Clever People. Is it QI-style-easy-to-go-wrong as it seems it might be?

I've played the iPad version a bit. It's fun, with plenty of howler potential, but if you have a half-decent memory then it's dead after six plays or so (although you can mix in lots of expansions, which would help). Would probably be good for a family Chrimbo, if you're happy for that to be potentially its entire lifespan.

Is the original TTR the simplest/best option for playing as a family? I want a new Christmas board game to play with the wife (low tolerance for games, dislikes zombies/dragons/aliens), youngest son (8, not very ruthless, doesn't like being picked on) and eldest son (10. Brutally ruthless, no quarter given. Will relentlessly attack the weakest player).

I think it probably is. It does have the simplest rules, and the map is fairly open with only a minimal number of critical places to screw other players over. It's a lovely game.

Europe adds ferry routes and stations and is a bit more cramped, and it's a quite a bit easier to screw other players by taking key routes (hence the introduction of stations, which let you use another player's route).

Nordic Countries is brutal, and only goes up to three players.

The only other one I've played is the UK expansion map, which adds an interesting tech-tree element.

Edit: To Alask.

I'd recommend Forbidden Island - pretty much a perfect family co-op. Forbidden Desert (which I conicidentally played last night) isn't quite as good, but makes a good sequel if you've mastered the first. Pandemic is Forbidden Island+ with a less family friendly theme, and some tricky mechanics. Flashpoint's good too, but a bit fiddly to set up and get the hang of the edge rules.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple would be another good shout, for short-burst co-operative gaming. Very manic, very funny. If you don't have a CD player, you can download the audio tracks online.

If you want something non-coop, Survive! Escape from Atlantis would be a good shout. It has the opportunity to pick on people, but any vindictive player will get whalloped by everyone else, and it's often the subtle players who win by sneaking high value pieces onto other people's boats.

Scotland Yard is another classic, and the all-against-one semi-coop mechanic might work well with the different personalities of your boys. Use the 1983 rules, though (get them from BGG) - the modern rule additions are all toss.

Oh, and Love Letter, of course. Always Love Letter. Get a themed edition if your boys are too squeamish about sending letters to a princess.