General chatter - discuss anything here

So I've managed to get a small group of mates together for an organised night at a local gaming cafe (well the 2nd one is tomorrow). There's 6 of us so far, played Betrayal last time and had a lot of fun, think this time it's BANG! The Dice Game, Fluxx and maybe Epic Spell Wars or DiXit depending on the mood. 
 The only downside to this is I'm now tempted to buy almost every game I see :)

Dropping some bits off at the tip this morning I noticed two familiar boxes amounts all of the crap they have for sale.. £1 each

IMG_9890.JPG

Got them home only to find they have no miniatures at all in the boxes :lol:  Looks like they've never been properly played even.. everything is punched but otherwise in really good nick. Just bought for the miniatures then dumped by the looks of it. Shame.

Any recommendations for where to buy sci-fi style turrets? I've Goggled all up and down town and found very little.

I want to use them for kit bashing X-Wing minis, so the sort of thing I'm after are Star Wars/Battlestar/Macross style guns, or Mech shoulder cannons, rail guns etc. sort of like these:

ff80bb166e6606f8915b3544e8f773fe.jpg

re_238_obliterator_superheavy_railgun_em

Hello.

This Christmas there has been talk of a games afternoon on Christmas Day.

After the old games from our childhood had been discussed D&D was suggested.  It was met with much interest.  

Sadly none one of us have ever played before and we have little to no knowledge of it. 

Is is there an easy to get into version we could look at, we will have 5 players and would like to play something with a mythical/fantasy type setting.

Thank you. 

EDIT:  Would Pathfinder be a good start?

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Hello.

After the old games from our childhood had been discussed D&D was suggested.  It was met with much interest.  

Sadly none one of us have ever played before and we have little to no knowledge of it. 

Is is there an easy to get into version we could look at, we will have 5 players and would like to play something with a mythical/fantasy type setting.

Thank you. 

I wouldn't start with Pathfinder as it's gets quite complicated.

There is a Dungeons and Dragons starter set that's got all you need to start with.

If we buy that is that really all you need to play and get used to DnD? The main criticism on amazon is lack of character creation - you have to use one of the pre-created ones. Also my dad was under the impression it should come with little miniature figurines or something. Should it?

if we wanted to make our own characters what else would we need to buy?

(I'm mikes brother)

On 07/11/2016 at 21:19, dullhorse said:

There is a Dungeons and Dragons starter set that's got all you need to start with.

On 11/15/2016 at 07:31, disperse and recoagulate said:

If we buy that is that really all you need to play and get used to DnD? The main criticism on amazon is lack of character creation - you have to use one of the pre-created ones. Also my dad was under the impression it should come with little miniature figurines or something. Should it?

(I'm mikes brother)

It can be as in depth/expanded as you want really.. you can buy all the handbooks or you can (just about) get by with the Starter Set.. You can buy minis or get by with simple tokens etc..

For a decent start, I'd recommend in addition to the Starter Set, getting the 5th Edition Player Handbook, which gives you all the info to roll up whatever characters you want..

There are basic rule sets and more pre-generated characters (even if you just use them as examples) on the Wizards of the Coast site:
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/trpg-resources

Whoever will be running/DM'ing the game can get by with the Starter Set rulebook, but there's the 5e Dungeon Master's Guide if that seems too barebones..

You can either run exploration and battles by description alone, or draw up maps on graph paper etc, based on the ones in the Starter Set, so your players have something to look at (and it is honestly better for keeping track of everything.. There are also a bunch of maps for the appropriate sections of the quests in the Starter Set online..) You can go even more crazy for the maps.. dry erase tiles, printed colour card tile sets all the way up to something crazy like Dwarven Forge - which is proper sculpted resin scenery pieces.. 

You can buy minis for the players and creatures, use tokens - or make your own pretty cheaply/easily..

Let your players find a bit of artwork to represent their character & find art for whatever creatures you need, print it out, stick it on a bit of card and use a bulldog clip as a base.. Done!

geLrlOz.jpg

If you've not played before, you can just see how it evolves.. you can play it just to kill some monsters & find loot - or you can do more actual role playing and try and embody whatever character you've created (along with any foibles and character traits you decided to give them.. which can be a lot of fun too..) The best thing about D&D is you can do pretty much whatever you want (or at least attempt to!)

And above all.. look online - there is a TON of stuff on youtube etc which can help creating characters, showing you how to run a game - or just if you want to watch people playing a campaign for inspiration to see what is involved..

For the latter I'd HIGHLY recommend watching Critical Role (a bunch of voice actors in an ongoing campaign) or as a decent alternative, High Rollers (Yogscast's ongoing game that starts with mostly new players..)

In the D&D thread here, we've been playing 2-3 hours a week (on and off) for a couple of months.. and we're still only about halfway through the Starter Set quest book, so there's plenty to go at..

On 04/11/2016 at 15:14, Treble said:

Any recommendations for where to buy sci-fi style turrets? I've Goggled all up and down town and found very little.

I want to use them for kit bashing X-Wing minis, so the sort of thing I'm after are Star Wars/Battlestar/Macross style guns, or Mech shoulder cannons, rail guns etc. sort of like these:

Try searching for the miniature size (10-12mm for tiny/25-28mm for games workshop size) you're looking for and you'll find a few like these

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/15mmSF/Accessories.html

http://zealotminiatures.com/zealot-shop/#!/Sci-Fi-Conversion-Parts/c/6272033/offset=0&sort=normal

https://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments

So another addition to the shelf - 7 wonders - thanks to an Amazon deal, I'm  up to a whopping 12 games now and every one that arrives in the house has the missus shaking her head and threatening divorce (we're not even married yet!!!) Thank goodness for a local amazon locker :)

On 07/11/2016 at 18:40, Mike said:

Hello.

Thank you. 

On 15/11/2016 at 07:31, disperse and recoagulate said:

(I'm mikes brother)

@Mike @disperse and recoagulate

As as has been said, don't start with pathfinder. Get this:

D&D 5e Starter Set

if you have really never played before I wouldn't make your own characters but if you want to you could get the Players Handbook but I wouldn't I would just use the free Basic Rules. They are free and easier to understand. 

You'll also need a few sets of polyhedral dice.

Theres a D&D thread.  That doesn't get enough love. 

Not seen it mentioned anywhere in this subforum, but anyone but me interested in FFG's imminent dice and card collectible game Star Wars Destiny?

Already got some starter sets and sleeves preordered. Can't wait. I love the look of it, it seems really well thought out, and I love the dice/card dual format. It also feels like it uses the Star Wars theme really well.

Been 20 years since I was mad on MTG, about time I gave another CCG a go, and rode the booster pack rollercoaster!

Anyone else tempted? If a few of us are buying into this, I'll create a thread.

I've spent all afternoon playing it at my FLGS and loved it. 

It'a super simple to pick up but the deck building looks to have loads and loads of depth. 

The card artwork and dice are absolutely gorgeous too as expected from FFG. 

Can't wait to play more on Sunday. 

So many questions:

What side did you play? Or both?

Did one side have the edge?

Just starter boxes or any booster packs?

If boosters, what came out - any legendaries?

What do the dice feel like?

What did you/will you buy?

Any swag?

What was the vibe from other players?

Which FLGS?

• I just played as the Hero side (although I have bought both Starters)
  • It's hard to say since we we're new to the game and need more experience. I won all but one of the games I played but don't read too much into that.
  • I bought both Starter sets (only opened Rey) and 12 Boosters.
  • Loads of stuff, most of which I can't remember. Legendaries I pulled were Luke Skywalker and the Force Choke Ability. From what I can tell the distribution they talk about (1 Legendary in every 6 Boosters) sees to be accurate. I got 2 from 12 Boosters. My friend did too (although I honestly can't remember what he got now). Saw someone pull Darth Vader too which I was very jealous of.
  • The dice are lovely. Big, chunky and nicely weighted. If I had to pick issue with them, a couple of mine have the artwork slightly off centre for some reason but not by a huge amount and not enough to bother me.
  • Both Starter Sets and 12 Boosters. Going to play again on Sunday (I'm playing in X-Wing Regionals tomorrow or I'd probably go then too) and while I think I've got enough cards to be going on with for a while I can definitely see me buying more once I'm there and the temptation kicks in. I reckon long term I'll probably pick up a couple of packs a week.
  • You got a Rey Alternate Art Card (with Aurebesh text), a Deck Box and a smallish art flyer thing.
  • Everyone loved it. I was there with Tom Reed amongst others, one of the UK's best X-Wing players, and he's very very excited about it and is deeply into theory crafting decks at the moment.
  • Vault 14 in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have more questions.

16 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

@Mike @disperse and recoagulate

As as has been said, don't start with pathfinder. Get this:

D&D 5e Starter Set

if you have really never played before I wouldn't make your own characters but if you want to you could get the Players Handbook but I wouldn't I would just use the free Basic Rules. They are free and easier to understand. 

You'll also need a few sets of polyhedral dice.

Theres a D&D thread.  That doesn't get enough love. 

I should have added: whoever is going to be the DM (Dungeon Master - a referee/narrator) should read the box well in advance and particularly the adventure. The other players should but don't need to read the rules and definitely shouldn't read the adventure. So there is some prep you can't really just open the box on Christmas Day. 

Played the Dragon & Flagon, really wanted to like it, but I had a bad second experience with it. Kind of regret choosing it above Key to the City: London. Going to give it another go of course, but definitely without the Mage and 8 players. And AP prone players. Also it's fiddly to teach and play for a simple game.