General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

3 hours ago, Hexx said:

Alright thought you might have been a bit gung ho and trying to kill the Priest.

Can't you just do a runner on that scenario to advance? I can't recall.

Also - maybe turn the difficulty down? ;)

What's the opinion on Exploding Kittens. One of the few Prime Day game sales...

Exploding Kitten's is just OK, I think. I don't know if I'd bother with it even if it was on sale. There are a lot of much better filler games out there.

On 2017/6/5 at 11:50, Tourist said:

Today, Amazon.co.jp notified me of the existence of this:

https://ssl.fujimi-trpg-online.jp/dstrpg/index.html

It's a Dark Souls pen and paper RPG that came out a few months ago or so. 

So I bought this. I have got as far as the description of a pen and paper rpg (or table talk rpg as it is in Japanese) and the requirements (2-5 people, six-sided dice, paper for memos). Will keep you updated. 

One thing that surprised me is that it is B5 size. I'm so used to A4 size rulebooks I just assumed it would be that size...

Going to have the next 3 days and the whole house entirely to myself.  I'm torn over whether to get stuck in to Descent or Mansions of Madness.  I just have the base game for both, but haven't played more than the first scenario in MoM.  :wub:  I've had them both out, but the little one likes to "help" and I don't like to discourage his interest so we end up just rolling some dice to try and kill all of the monsters on the board which ruins the actual scenario as I end up not following the app and just doing a battle royale type thing, so will be nice to actually play them properly!

In other news, I kickstarted Triplock by Chip Theory Games as I totally missed the Too Many Bones kickstarter.  I love the look of what these guys do.  I went ahead and pre-ordered the 2nd print of Too Many Bones.  It was supposed to be here by the end of July but looking as though it will be towards the end of August now. Which means Triplock and Too Many Bones should arrive around the same time, and then hopefully Gloomhaven a few weeks after that. Really looking forward to all three of these.

On 08/07/2017 at 22:17, Alex W. said:

So, as mentioned before, I got Arkham Horror the card game last weekend. We've just gone through the first scenario and lost. I wasn't expecting so many role playing aspects which is kind of new to both of us. It's an interesting system though.

It's a very flexible system.  I'm really impressed with what they've done with the Dunwich campaign and I'd highly recommend it.

On 11/07/2017 at 12:12, Kzo said:

Any opinions on Gloom of Kilforth? I have it sitting under my desk at work, but am considering selling it on.

I bought it as I liked the artwork and theme. I think I would only play the game solo. Reading reviews it sounds a bit similar to Eldritch Horror, which I am not a fan of. Let me know if this is wrong.

Is difficulty tied mainly to dice rolls, or are there tactical decisions to make, card combos to play etc?

Also interested to hear opinions on replayability.

I really enjoy it.. I think it's best suited to solo.  You also need to get into the spirit of the game which is very much about 'story building'.  If, as you draw or deal a card, think about how it could be woven into a story, you'll find it very rewarding.

The rule book is a bit difficult - the game (as always) is really straight forward, but the rule book doesn't make it easy.  There's lots of scope for tactics and each character/class combo plays very differently.  There's a time limit to the game and you need to think about how best to use your actions effectively.  Weather has a big impact as well, which is a nice point.

One tip... early in the game, make sure you hide before moving.

I wouldn't say it's anything like Eldritch Horror tbh (I'm a massive fan of Arkham Horror the board game as well).

1 hour ago, LaParka said:

I've just sold a game for £15 so I can buy the same game for £30 :huh:

I don't suppose it was Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective was it?

I was thinking of selling my older edition so I can get the new version without the errors and it would also match the Jack the Ripper box I've already got. I know, I'm mental.

Arkham LCG. Here's my solo Agnes Deck. Pretty hard with 1 core (so many single cards I'd want to double up on e.g. shriveling)

Basically taken a load of cards that will be discarded/upgraded (e.g. Knife to Upgraded Blinding Light...keeping the lesser version in play)

Asset (15)

Hand
2x Flashlight
2x Knife
Arcane
2x  Rite of Seeking
1x  Shrivelling
Accessory
1x  Holy Rosary
1x  Rabbit's Foot
Body
1x  Leather Coat
Ally
2x  Peter Sylvestre
Other
1x  Arcane Studies
1x  Dig Deep
1x  Scavenging
Event (9)

1x  "Look what I found!"
1x  Blinding Light
1x  Cunning Distraction
2x Emergency Cache
2x  Hypnotic Gaze
1x  Lucky!
1x  Ward of Protection
Skill (6)

1x  Fearless
2x Overpower
1x  Survival Instinct
2x Unexpected Courage

31 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I don't suppose it was Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective was it?

I was thinking of selling my older edition so I can get the new version without the errors and it would also match the Jack the Ripper box I've already got. I know, I'm mental.

I was thinking of doing this as well.

Also, I once sold Agricola so that I could buy Caverna, then ended up buying Agricola again later (it's the better game). I've also bought-then-sold-then-bought Castles of Burgundy.

It is was the tenth anniversary edition of Notre Dame just because it has the expansion and the Castles of Burgundy promo. I didn't want to sell the original because I only paid £7 from the works but it goes for about £30 second hand. Chap at the club said he'd pay £15 because it's still a good deal and I don't feel bad about it! 

Ended up buying La Isla and In the Year of the Dragon too though so in all spent nearly £80!

So I've got a bit of spare cash and have had a few months off of buying new games, looking at picking up a feast for Odin but not sure what else is decent, what's the general opinion of cave vs cave (Caverna is one of my top games), flamme rouge, terraforming mars, flatline and dice forge - all games that have caught my eye

Cave v Cave and Terraforming Mars are both excellent. Dice Forge looks amazing and is a fun light game. If you haven't played Terraforming Mars I would buy that as it's quite possibly one of the best games to be released in the past few years.

Cave vs Cave is a typical Uwe. Tight, creates a lot of emergent complexity from a relatively small ruleset and plays smoothly and well. We've really enjoyed it. Criticisms are that the tile ordering and total number of tiles are limited and it arguably has one more resource type than it actually needs. I think the former isn't a huge issue, as it allows people to learn it and enjoy its mechanisms without being swamped with choice, but the latter is a slightly strange one as it always feels slightly clunky and overburdened with decisions when two of the resource types are largely interchangeable (and yes I have played Caverna). Good couples game. Don't expect to still be playing it in a couple of years. 

Dice Forge is slight, beautifully produced and probably better than it has any right to be. But there are other games in the light/midrange space I'd look at first - Splendor, Century Spice Road etc... But it was a lot better than I thought it would be and you can't fault the quality for under £30. You really need more than 2 players though. 

Flamme Rouge is an excellent race game. 5 minutes to teach but wonderfully nuanced once you start playing. A great game that neatly straddles (ho) the casual and hardcore markets. Probably the best of the list of games you've put up - however you could argue that unless you like bikes the theme is somewhat meh. 

Terraforming Mars is OK. Overpriced. Terrible components. Far too random in bits (though you can fix this by drafting). But it's thematic, fairly clever and relatively approachable. A decent game. 

Ignore all those other games and get Yokohama. Trust me.

On Terraforming Mars: when I first played it I was initially unimpressed, and came away unsure of why it has proved so popular, but having played several games now, including the drafting variant, I actually really like the game and find it more enjoyable than at first. I think it does really need to be played with drafting though, and the components and general art is not particularly high quality. I have to say also that the price is far too high for what it contains and their quality. Compare to Scythe which is about £10 less and has incredible art, huge thick board, large cards, reasonable plastic miniatures, and a ton of resource components.

It's decent. Like any new hotness you have swathes of people saying it's the most amazing thing ever created. Until the next hot thing comes along. Is it objectively better than probably 30 or 40 games in the same space, no. But it is good. 

I wouldn't say that Yokohama is new hotness for me - I've been playing it for nearly 18 months now, and I'm still seeing new strategies and ways to play. It's stuck firmly on my top five games list, and I'll play it any time with anyone. I think that's a pretty decent sign of its quality :D

I got to play the prototype of the Okazu Brand Tokyo Game Market release a fair few times, and when TMG signed it they had advanced protos made up (which I got one of). Now I've got the deluxe version and it gets played pretty much every week. It's a great game! 

So I ended up going for A Feast for Odin, Ticket to Ride Germany (realised I didn't have a TTR game!!), one deck dungeon and the latest TIME stories expansion.

I'll have a go of Terraforming Mars at our game group as one of the guys owns that and try and get a game of Yokohama on Tabletop sim before spending the cash.  

I've decided to enter my first ever BGG Math Trade. I think I've managed to grasp it OK – I have to say that the massive amount of  info on BGG makes it seem far more complicated than it actually is. Having said that, there's one thing I'm not sure about, and haven't actually managed to find an answer to. This may be because it's glaringly obvious to everyone else, but I thought I'd best check.

If I'm listing something that isn't worth much, or might not be particularly sought after, would I still tick everything I would accept in trade for it, or just limit it to the items that I think people would be willing to trade? For example, if I wanted to trade (say) Fluxx, would I indicate that I'm willing to accept everything else on the list, including high value items, or would that be bad form? What's the correct etiquette?