General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

• 2 weeks later...

After another frustrating play of Terraforming Mars, I decided to make some player boards, of the sort that should have been included in the game in the first place, given the price.

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.335fc45144adbf16ce4dc7347a6638ac.JPG

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.0830bcd87419b0dca78e903a69cbc948.JPG

IMG_0105.thumb.JPG.f391836f5e72acdd50d54e283e9cea19.JPG

I can slide the boards all the way across the table without the cubes shifting. :D

Has anyone here played Kingdom Death? 

Whenever I have looked at the rules or the components it just looks deeply stupid, but it has such a ravening fanbase I would love to know what some sane boardgamers think...(before I sink all my savings into some shitty booby nonsense...)

15 hours ago, Tourist said:

Has anyone here played Kingdom Death? 

Whenever I have looked at the rules or the components it just looks deeply stupid, but it has such a ravening fanbase I would love to know what some sane boardgamers think...(before I sink all my savings into some shitty booby nonsense...)

The Shut up and Sit Down review helped me make up my mind on KD. Sounds nutty, but pretty unique.

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/review-kingdom-death-monster/

Since myself and my brother, @disperse and recoagulate, played the Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Starter Set our friend Tom has been itching to play.  Tonight the 3 of us, along with a 4th friend met up at Tom's house and started the starter set again.  Tom is Dungeon Master and has spent weeks learning the rules and stuff and we all had a blast.  Going to try make it a regular thing :D 

My son and I have loved video game rpgs for years, Bioware, Souls, Persona, Divinity, Diablo etc etc. I've told him about the influence of D&D on the games we play. I then fairly recently bought the 5th edition starter set. It seems great and I'm fairly sure we will love it if we can get some people to play with us.

As this has proven quite difficult, I've ordered Mice and Mystics (after seeing it on Tabletop) for us to play. Should get here tomorrow.  Pretty excited. 

I've also been playing Love Letter, a simple and really fun card game of strategy and deduction. Recommended.

10 hours ago, danbot said:

My son and I have loved video game rpgs for years, Bioware, Souls, Persona, Divinity, Diablo etc etc. I've told him about the influence of D&D on the games we play. I then fairly recently bought the 5th edition starter set. It seems great and I'm fairly sure we will love it if we can get some people to play with us.

As this has proven quite difficult, I've ordered Mice and Mystics (after seeing it on Tabletop) for us to play. Should get here tomorrow.  Pretty excited. 

I've also been playing Love Letter, a simple and really fun card game of strategy and deduction. Recommended.

I'd recommend, at the very least, reading through the first couple of chapter/levels, if not actually playing them yourself first. There's a lot to recommend about Mice & Mystics but the rules can be very woolly. When I tried to play it with my family I had to make house rules quite a lot due to the amount of times that the printed rules had huge gaps or ambiguities.

It's supposed to be played co-operatively but I ended up taking the role of a GM and playing the monsters myself to keep everything flowing.

I will, thanks a lot.

Currently on the way to work, looking to read some of the rules on the way. There's also an online video of how to play.

I'll get as familiar as possible with the rules and the opening scenario as possible. 

Again, thanks.

James and I played our first proper game of Mice and Mysics yesterday and today. 

We fought as hard as we could against some harsh dice and a slight (deadly) misunderstanding of when enemies are added.

and died. 

...but

20170903_204650.thumb.jpg.cb484d3c40d0210f63c93e6cdb8921fa.jpg

We'll do it this time.

Loving it!

Building one of those Arkham LCG storage boxes.

Much screaming swearing and forcing layered and I think it's borked. Drying but not convinced particularly sturdy

Did not expect 'self assembly' to mean no instructions and then the video they made to pull out 4 corner clamps. 

We'll see how it dries, but I'm fairly sure one side is going to fall off

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2017 at 23:09, Danster said:

Thought some of you might appreciate this, made me laugh anyway :)

every single time heroquest is mentioned on one of the boardgaming facebook groups I'm in - I *always* reply with 'what's the best thing about heroquest?'

every single time

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter received AEG's Love Letter for her 9th birthday and she can't stop playing it. I'm looking for another card based game for her for Christmas and thinking of getting Smash Up - https://www.alderac.com/smashup/

Anyone have opinions on Smash Up for a 9 year old (likely I'd be playing with her most of the time) or recommendations of something else suitable?

Thanks.