General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

Thanks for all the recommendations, I didn't expect quite so many options. My daughter will need more than one birthday and Christmas per year :) .Lost Legacy would be ideal as it's a Love Letter spin off but the version linked above is £55 on Amazon, is that a special version? This is the same game but with different artwork right?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/158340/lost-legacy-flying-garden

1 hour ago, Big Swifty said:

Thanks for all the recommendations, I didn't expect quite so many options. My daughter will need more than one birthday and Christmas per year :) .Lost Legacy would be ideal as it's a Love Letter spin off but the version linked above is £55 on Amazon, is that a special version? This is the same game but with different artwork right?

Looks like out of print at the moment, which accounts for the Amazon price. That version has both the Flying Garden, which you linked, and the Starship, both with different art. They are compatible with each other and the cards can be mixed.

Can get both for under 20 quid: https://boardgameprices.co.uk/item/search?search=lost+legacy

Lost Legacy is disappointing. I wouldn't go for it. 

Smash Up is fine - but print out the base score trackers from BGG, otherwise it's too much for younger kids to keep track of. It's a bit "HEY WE'RE ALL HAVING FUN AREN'T WE" but not a bad game. 

Other suggestions:

King Domino - simple, colourful, can be quite deep

Odin's Revenge - beautiful, quick 2 player race game

Artifacts Inc - Red Raven smaller game - beautiful art, dice placement, nice theme

Boss Monster - Pixel art game with engaging theme and interesting mechanics

Biblios - light drafting game 

Scary Tales - a surprisingly decent series of card battlers - think Star Wars Destiny, but with fairytales.

Above and Below - story telling, light worker placement game with achingly pretty art. 

Carcasonne (or perhaps Isle of Skye if you want a better game)

Also worth exploring some micro games with a lot of depth - like Oh My Goods or Port Royale. 

One other thing to look at might be getting into a CCG/TCG like Pokemon, or MTG. 

7 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

You can have my copy of Lost Legacy Flying Garden for £2.79 - the cost of postage - if you want it. We never play it. It's the micro version that's in a little bag.

Would rather see it played tbh. 

Kingdomino is really good, teaches players essentially about bidding for turn order and how that effects a game. Really shows up players who can't plan ahead. It does play quickly though but there's an expansion/variant on the way called Queendomino 

Oh My goods is a really good push your luck game and is pretty cheap. It's got an expansion which adds a bit of narrative but doesn't change the game too much so isn't essential unless you really like it. 

4 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Carcasonne (or perhaps Isle of Skye if you want a better game)

:blink:

Fighting talk! I think carcassonne is a beautiful bit of design, not sure I trust peoples judgement if they say they don't like it :D it can be a vicious game, it's not so much reliant on look as people would like you to believe. A good player will beat an average player nearly 100% of the time. 

Base game is good for learning the system and the expansions can make it more convoluted or easier to score points. Princess and the Dragon changes it too much for me but all the others are worth a look. 

The stand alone versions are all decent too and just different enough to own a couple. I've got Over Hill and Dale which adds set collecting. South Seas which doesn't score like traditional Carcassonne and has orders that you have to fulfil with resources that you've collected. Gold Rush has cities being the central bit as they are mountains and have gold that you dig for, very point heavy. I've even got the winter version which is exactly the same as the base game, just drawn with snow tiles! Does have its own expansion though with a gingerbread man :)

Need to play Amazonas and Hunter Gatherers next, and the Castle, and that weird one about the Ark

Thanks all, this is a very friendly thread :) Lots to digest and look into, Rhino Hero has a lot of love and looks like it would be a great one for 4 player Christmas fun. I'll still need something along the Love Letter lines though so I'll have a look at the other stuff too.

13 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

You can have my copy of Lost Legacy Flying Garden for £2.79 - the cost of postage - if you want it. We never play it. It's the micro version that's in a little bag.

Would rather see it played tbh. 

That's very generous of you, thanks a lot. I'll PM you to sort out the money if you're sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a recommendation for Christmas. Slowly working my way through the threads here, but it is a little overwhelming when you only play a couple of times a year. It is for a family, but we are all at least 25+. The more players the better but not looking for a party game. There will be 7 of us, so 7 Wonders has been perfect. Sometimes we team up but ideally looking for a game that is 5 players minimum but best if we can all play.

These are games we have and enjoyed for a few years:

7 Wonders

Machi Koro

Ticket to Ride

Istanbul

Dominion

1 hour ago, pledge said:

Looking for a recommendation for Christmas. Slowly working my way through the threads here, but it is a little overwhelming when you only play a couple of times a year. It is for a family, but we are all at least 25+. The more players the better but not looking for a party game. There will be 7 of us, so 7 Wonders has been perfect. Sometimes we team up but ideally looking for a game that is 5 players minimum but best if we can all play.

Seven is such a tricky number. At that many players you're in party game territory, mostly. 7 Wonders is one of the few games that'll play well with that many and still feel like a 'proper' board game. There are a few others, though:

Camel Cup is a racing game that sees you betting on who you think will win or lose over a series of legs. What makes it interesting is that one camel can be carried forward if it lands on another, creating unpredictable results when a stack forms and moves the camel in last place to first. It's a family game, but our group of thirty-somethings enjoys it. Plays up to eight.

Social deduction games start to get interesting with 6+. The Resistance, Secret Hitler, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Mafia de Cuba are worth a look, especially if you enjoy lying to your family.

Codenames works well at virtually any player count. Players split into two teams and try to guess which words from the grid in front of them are being hinted at by their elected code master. I've made it sound dry but it's truly excellent.

I've not played it, but everyone seems to go mad for Captain Sonar, especially if there are eight of you. Two teams control submarines hunting each other, and everyone has their own role to play.

For six players, the choice widens significantly. A few of my favourites, which I think would suit a family well:

For Sale

Evolution, or its recent standalone expansion Evolution: Climate.

Jamaica

Skull

Mysterium plays 7 and is superb - Dixit meets cluedo - one player is the ghost who can’t speak but can give visions to the other players via art cards - all of which are beautiful but really open to interpretation. The players then have to try and guess the person, place and weapon. At the very end everyone gets to look at a certain number of cards (up to 3) to try and guess  which of the suspects is the murderer via a blind vote and you win or lose as a team. 

Before I went to Essen 'Coaster Park' was on my radar and sounded so fun I possibly would have bought it without trying it. Luckily they had completely sold out through pre-orders, but weren't even giving demos. A quick look on BGG shows why- https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/232895/coaster-park

I've never seen a hot game get such low reviews.

On 11/26/2017 at 09:03, therearerules said:

Before I went to Essen 'Coaster Park' was on my radar and sounded so fun I possibly would have bought it without trying it. Luckily they had completely sold out through pre-orders, but weren't even giving demos. A quick look on BGG shows why- https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/232895/coaster-park

I've never seen a hot game get such low reviews.

As soon as I saw a brief gameplay video of it, I was immediately put off. It looked like it had very little substance and that's exactly how it seems to have turned out. Disappointing, I had wondered how they were going to make a game out of the concept. Sounds like haven't succeeded...

On 25/11/2017 at 11:37, pledge said:

These are games we have and enjoyed for a few years:

7 Wonders

Machi Koro

Ticket to Ride

Istanbul

Dominion

Diamante

Citadels

Sushi Go Party

Jungle Speed (it's a party game but it's the best party game)

I would recommend a lying/deception based game, always a laugh, one of these...

- one night ultimate werewolf

- the resistance

- secret Hitler (my fav but unavailable)

- deception: murder in Hong kong

And also Mysterium for that number of players is a must! Awesome game.

Have only played Unlock - it’s card based so there’s a resale value once you’re done with it and it’s fun for a group. 

Have heard the Exit series are decent as well but as the components in them are damaged during the game they are a one time play through. 

I've tried Unlock, Escape The Room (stargazer manor) and Exit (can't remember which one).

The Stargazer one is by far the best so far, in terms of simulating an Escape The Room environment. It's fun, there's lots for everyone to do and the structure of the game is really innovative.

Unlock is a relatively close second, but being card based it's really tiny and all huddling around it is a bit tricky. It's still, good though, and we all enjoyed it.

Exit is by far the worst. Again, it's card based, and you destroy them as you work through them, but I found it all a little bit too obscure and frustrating.

I think, given they're all relatively cheap, they're all worth a shot to see where you get to. But, the Escape ones are my faves so far.