General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

I've played the other escape the room game (dr gravely?) and that was really fun. I thought it was a lot better than the two actual escape rooms I've done because they were just rooms of puzzles and didn't bother with any back story. 

I have escape room the game at home ready to play too. 

I want to get the unlock games but they look out of stock in a lot of places... 

As part of a Secret Santa I've landed my friend from our board game group. Obviously he is into board games, but I literally know nothing else about him (except that his marriage is failing.... um.. merry christmas!). Was hoping for your board/card gaming suggestions within budget (£15)!

He's 50. None of his family play board games, so I'd mainly be looking at games which aren't "social" and he could bring to the game group. Quick games are fine as long as they do have some depth. He tends to play serious games, such as Scythe, Stone Age, etc. Are there any games around £15 that might be of interest to him? I had already thought of the Lost Expedition, but annoyingly our mutual friend already has it so that is out.

47 minutes ago, Jamin said:

As part of a Secret Santa I've landed my friend from our board game group. Obviously he is into board games, but I literally know nothing else about him (except that his marriage is failing.... um.. merry christmas!). Was hoping for your board/card gaming suggestions within budget (£15)!

He's 50. None of his family play board games, so I'd mainly be looking at games which aren't "social" and he could bring to the game group. Quick games are fine as long as they do have some depth. He tends to play serious games, such as Scythe, Stone Age, etc. Are there any games around £15 that might be of interest to him? I had already thought of the Lost Expedition, but annoyingly our mutual friend already has it so that is out.

Just outside your budget:

Eight Minute Empire, a quick area control game, but one not without depth.

For Sale is a simple bidding game that always has us cursing each other.

Kingdomino has you building towns using domino-like tiles.

Skull is a very social game, but everyone should play it.

1 hour ago, Jamin said:

Does he like Star Wars? Star Wars Risk: Black edition is £17 on Amazon at the minute and is meant to be pretty good (albeit recommended for 2 players only): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hasbro-Star-Wars-Black-Risk/dp/B015FT5S8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512749633&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+risk+black+edition

On 08/12/2017 at 15:09, Jamin said:

Hero Realms is also just over £15. Star Realms is cheaper, but seems to be difficult to source online at the moment. Both are quite enjoyable little deck-building games.

Has anyone gone to a games con with more playing than selling? Been the expo a few times (quite a few) but I think thats a bit of an anomaly. Went for the Sunday at Stabcon but ended up playing five player games with all the regulars on a Wednesday, which was a bit weird because we could have just met somewhere closer to home :) 

I've surprised myself by booking to go to a three day con in January and staying in a hostel. Would never have dreamed of doing something like this last year, but I know quite a few who are going. Annoyingly i'm working on the Saturday so i'll be going on Friday and driving back late to go to work and then go back around dinnertime Saturday. Really looking forward to it and hopefully going to be able to play something stupidly long like an 18XX game :)

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas nerdbros!

Didn't get much myself, but bought the Mrs Journal 29 (which has kept the whole family busy all day) and Codenames Disney for my daughter that I'm looking forward to trying tomorrow when she isn't full of chocolate and can maybe sit still for fifteen minutes :D

For Christmas I got my son:

Coup - A card game about bluffing.

Forbidden Island - A co-op treasure hunting adventure.

Exploding Kittens - A card game of cute Russian Roulette.

Flash Point - co-op fire fighting.

and Munchkin - Dungeon crawling and back stabbing.

All good fun. He loves Coup which regularly has him screeching with laughter. I like Flash Point and Forbidden Island.

It's been a good Christmas.

Didn't receive any board games for Christmas but I bought

Fungi for my housemate - He owns a piece of woodland and forages for mushrooms and enjoys card games so it seemed a good fit.

Catan: Cities and Knights for my gf (who introduced me to the hobby) - Catan was her first proper board game, she's competed in the tournament at the UKBG expo in the past, and I knew C&K was her favourite expansion.

Codenames: Duet for my dad and stepmother - They love word games and aren't particularly competitive.

and King of Tokyo for my ten year old nieces - They don't really play board games and I'm trying to get them into them. They fucking LOVE it.

IMG-20171228-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.da83c1252d229fe5d0be7b18e4cd9592.jpeg

My son playing the generalist saved all inhabitants while my CAFS firefighter kept the growing fire at bay.

We made no use of the fire engine, while the local paramedics displayed admirable courage right outside the front door.

We are still using the simplified fire spreading but yeah, really enjoying it.

My cousin's coming up tomorrow so I reckon we'll play a full rules game of this, along with Munchkin, Forbidden Island etc  :D

As much as I like Decent, before you jump in others to consider these newer dungeon crawlers:

star-wars-imperial-assault

Its Decent 2.1 - some tweeks but set in starwars land Dark Lord Ninty

Or have a look at videos of the two below that have new takes on dungeon crawlers and some may consider better mechanically.

Conan (or the upcoming Batman based on the same system)

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shadows-past

Sorry I cannot go into detail as im in the Decent camp and apart from taking notes and watching reviews have not played them - just added them to my list of future games.

Hello! First post in the sub forum after getting somewhat obsessed about researching boardgames for Christmas presents. 

Brother asked for some games to spark imagination and thinking in his two kids, so I bought them pandemic and forbidden island. Had so much fun playing Forbidden Island (not tired Pandemic yet) I've now watched almost every episode of tabletop and shutup and sit-down to learn more!

Bought myself pandemic now and will be playing that tonight hopefully, plus I have Arkham Horror card game to play with a mate or two later in the week (guy in the shop says you can stretch the base game to four players if you bend the card rules slightly....we shall see!). Can't wait!

Big test tonight introducing my girlfriend to pandemic. I'm also quite excited about pandemic legacy and Dead of Winter, but one thing at a time :)

14 hours ago, MalevolentPanda said:

Pfft, coops. ;)

I got bought Photosynthesis for xmas. It's beautiful. Don't really play much anymore since I moved away from my regular gaming group but I look forward to playing it one day.

Recommended Vs games for two? Unfortunately not star wars or games that take an age to play or setup.

Pandemic was pretty good. We beat it twice using slightly modified rules to help us learn (don't need to be on the city of the city card to hand that cars over, but do need to be on same space). Also hand picked what I thought would be the easiest roles, so basically super easy pandemic!

I've also got the pandemic  app on my phone, which is ace! Any other recommended boardgames that have been made into good apps?

50 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Recommended Vs games for two? Unfortunately not star wars or games that take an age to play or setup.

Pandemic was pretty good. We beat it twice using slightly modified rules to help us learn (don't need to be on the city of the city card to hand that cars over, but do need to be on same space). Also hand picked what I thought would be the easiest roles, so basically super easy pandemic!

I've also got the pandemic  app on my phone, which is ace! Any other recommended boardgames that have been made into good apps?

Frequently recommended 2 player vs games:

Jaipur

Splendor

Patchwork

7 Wonders Duel

Here's a good two player game thread: 

I bought Patchwork and Jaipur based on recommendations in that thread and really enjoy them both. Splendor and Biblios both play up to four but I think they work best as two player games. Splendor has a decent app too. You can play all of those within half an hour/forty five minutes. 

Onitama and Hive will probably be my next two player purchases, both are quite highly regarded and come rllmuk recommended iirc.

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

Ticket To Ride

Splendor

Paperback

Suburbia

Galaxy Trucker

Ascension

Star Realms

A bit heavier:

Through The Ages

Le Havre

Puerto rico

Agricola

Eclipse

We were in The Works today and spotted a couple of games, I'm not very in the know with board games so thought I'd ask in here first. They had something called Ryu (£15) the box was very vague on what it entailed. The other was Starfighter (£10) that was a 2 player game but again box description was very vague.

Anyone know of either of these and if they're any good, fwiw we own Love Letters, Patchwork, Carcassonne, Labyrinth and Monopoly 

2 hours ago, wev said:

We were in The Works today and spotted a couple of games, I'm not very in the know with board games so thought I'd ask in here first. They had something called Ryu (£15) the box was very vague on what it entailed. The other was Starfighter (£10) that was a 2 player game but again box description was very vague.

Anyone know of either of these and if they're any good, fwiw we own Love Letters, Patchwork, Carcassonne, Labyrinth and Monopoly 

The Works occasionally restocks with slightly more obscure titles, that haven't sold very well elsewhere for whatever reason, so I don't know if you'll find a lot of info about these. They are both on BGG though:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171226/starfighter

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121787/ryu

Starfighter seems the higher rated of the two, here's the Dice Tower review:

59 minutes ago, Professor Rob said:

You really can't go wrong with Ticket to Ride – it's still pretty much THE gateway game.

Does it matter which version or are they like Monopoly and are the same game re-skinned?

The different full game editions all have some sort of varient rules. TTR (the USA map) is the original one and is purely route claiming,

Europe adds in stations, ferries and tunnels which some like, some hate.

Germany has passengers that you collect when claiming routes and give bonuses at the end game.

Nordic is a map designed for 2-3 players only and there are other editions which I haven't played as well as map packs that work with the base versions of the game.

As always it's worth a check on boardgamegeek for the individual merits of each.