General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

Picked up the metal coins for Viticulture/Tuscany the other day, I fear I've opened a new horrible door in my collection as I also quite fancy the metal coins for Scythe and Yokohama now, maybe a generic set for 7 Wonders Duel as well hmmm.

Anyone recommend a good way of storing just a complete shit-ton of cards? I got The Dunwich Legacy for Christmas so now my Arkham Horror cards are a bit too numerous for the original box. I have already moved the tokens into a little plastic organiser and I just need a big thing to pile the cards into. I was looking at one of those Arkhive boxes from Ultimate Guard but don't bother sleeving so that might be a bit too roomy? That's the sort of idea anyway. I like the prospect of those wooden boxes you can get online like this, but it's a bit spendy for me. (So's the Arkhive though, I suppose.).

http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/arkham-horror-lgc-large.html

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/accessories-c1/board-games-accessories-c798/the-broken-token-compact-lcg-organizer-p137568

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Anyone recommend a good way of storing just a complete shit-ton of cards? I got The Dunwich Legacy for Christmas so now my Arkham Horror cards are a bit too numerous for the original box. I have already moved the tokens into a little plastic organiser and I just need a big thing to pile the cards into. I was looking at one of those Arkhive boxes from Ultimate Guard but don't bother sleeving so that might be a bit too roomy? That's the sort of idea anyway. I like the prospect of those wooden boxes you can get online like this, but it's a bit spendy for me. (So's the Arkhive though, I suppose.).

http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/arkham-horror-lgc-large.html

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/accessories-c1/board-games-accessories-c798/the-broken-token-compact-lcg-organizer-p137568

The wooden inserts are great, but when FFG changed to the new smaller box size for their LCGs they aren't quite as worthwhile as a storage option, in my opinion.

The BCW cardboard boxes seem to be a popular option, and they can be relatively inexpensive too:

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/bcw-shoe-storage-box-1600-ct-half-lid-p221482

I have a question about Castles of Burgundy. I just noticed on the boardgamegeek description it says: "The rules include basic and advanced versions."

Um, my rules don't seem to. There is just a paragraph on the back of the manual that says advanced players should receive a random player board. 

Am I missing something?

On 06/01/2018 at 23:05, revlob said:

The wooden inserts are great, but when FFG changed to the new smaller box size for their LCGs they aren't quite as worthwhile as a storage option, in my opinion.

The BCW cardboard boxes seem to be a popular option, and they can be relatively inexpensive too:

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/bcw-shoe-storage-box-1600-ct-half-lid-p221482

Thanks, I might just do that until I've spent about 5 times as much on cards as the price of the storage solution.

We've had to move out of our current gaming spot for a few weeks because the Pub we use is being renovated. We've used it as an excuse to start a group closer to home and then continue using the pub on a different night when it reopens. We had five turn up (including myself) for our first evening last night but lots of interest on the Geek and by FB. A lot of people have expressed interest about coming next week so we might even hit double figures! Turns out theres a guy who lives near me with nearly 700 games in his collection on the geek who writes a gaming blog. :)

Jealous :) - Our little game group varies from 3 - 10 people depending of what everyone is up to. I'd love to be able to grow the numbers but being in a little corner of Lanarkshire probably isn't the best for a massive turnout of tabletop gamers on a Wednesday evening.

Has anybody heard of or played Codeword Cromwell? It looks amazing! Someone posted pictures on Facebook. It looks like a story-based old-school wargame with a discover-the-traitor twist and a Boys Own World War Two narrative. Except I can only find one store that seems to sell it, in the US, and the guy who made it seems to be a pretty rabid Daily Mail columnist.

Any experts of Arkham Horror card game here? I've got a couple of questions following our first run through the first scenario. 

I had a weapon in each hand, a gun and a machete, when doing an attack skill check, should I count both hands as the +1 to attack if I'm firing the gun?

The the attack hits, do both weapons cause damage if firing the gun? 

Logically I'm guessing only one weapon is counted for both skill check and damage but I can't find an answer. 

Also regarding skill checks I understand that other players can contribute a card to your check if in the same location:

-If these cards have a special attribute, does this attribute come into affect if the check is successful?

-where is the card discarded? In the player doing the check or the player who gave it? Some cards allow you to search through discard pile..

-is there a limit to how many cards can be played in a skill check, either the player performing the check or helping player?

I really enjoyed our first game with this, though I had to constantly check rules along the way so it took quite a while. We found it all quite easy though, admittedly we missed a key rule when fighting an elite enemy but I don't think that would make a massive difference. 

Love the idea of the chaos bag making it easy to up the difficulty, I might do that for the next game. 

On 11/01/2018 at 14:34, Mortis said:

Jealous :) - Our little game group varies from 3 - 10 people depending of what everyone is up to. I'd love to be able to grow the numbers but being in a little corner of Lanarkshire probably isn't the best for a massive turnout of tabletop gamers on a Wednesday evening.

Its bizarre because before I couldn't find anyone to play games regularly with and after firing off some messages and posting on BGG I find that there are quite a few gamers round here. One guy has a YouTube channel that I've watched a few times and he's just down the road from me! :)

1 hour ago, LaParka said:

Its bizarre because before I couldn't find anyone to play games regularly with and after firing off some messages and posting on BGG I find that there are quite a few gamers round here. One guy has a YouTube channel that I've watched a few times and he's just down the road from me! :)

I think you're not far from me? There's a good few of us dotted around.

For our first games evening where we've advertised it we had 9 players last night. We split off into a couple of groups and the games played were: In The Year of the Dragon, Libertalia, Overseers, Majesty For The Realm, Azul, For Sale, Poison, Parade, Blockers (Uptown) and Ogre Castle.

Interesting to find out peoples tastes so we've started planning some longer games with a few. Dominant Species and potentially Virgin Queen is on the books (!)

That small convention I went to have announced their dates for 2019. Highly recommended and the prices for bunking is ridiculously good value for money. It's on FB under Bastion Wales 2019. 

Games club is still chugging along nicely with a couple of new people coming each week. Never realised how easy I had it when I used to just turn up and have a game taught to me because it was always one guys job (who loves doing it).

Now I'm having to plan multiple player counts and have familiarity with rules for multiple games. I've no idea how someone just grabs a game, flicks through the rules and remembers how to play confidentiality with a new group. I obsess over rules for everything I have in my bag. BGG cheat sheets are a godsend though and sometimes more useful than a rule book. 

Got myself One Deck Dungeon : Forest of Shadow yesterday from my local game cafe... tried it last night and I really like it.  So much so I'm quite looking forward to trying it again tonight.  It's quite to set up, good artwork, good theme and clever mechanics with a right level of complexity but easily finished in 30 mins.  Highly recommended.