General chatter - discuss anything here

Thanks guys! 

Very dumb question: On my premade rogue, my two weapons are shortsword and knife, both of which I have proficiency in. They're both called (name) + 5, is this a modifier or is it just the item name? And because I keep forgetting, do I add proficiency to attack roll or damage? Do I add a dex modifier too or just the proficiency bonus? 

They should not be +5 anything. That's broken AF :P

Attack Roll = Proficiency + Ability Mod

Damage Roll = Ability Mod

A weapon can be +1/+2/+3, you add that to both the above.

+5 though. I don't think that's a thing. (We countered a +3 weapon in our campaign. 35k to buy, we had 12k across the entire party)

Is your premade from this?

https://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Characters.pdf

That's +5 to attack (+2 for Prof @Level 1, +3 due to Dex), +3 to damage (due to Dex)

28 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

Fuck it, I don't know. 

15187098993082074554714.jpg

Look at the sheets I posted - he's copying that layout

There's a rogue one that's very similar (but bow rather than knife as second weapon)

The "+5" section is different from the name

[Name]                  [Attack Bonus]                              [Damage]

Shortsword           +5 (+2 for Prof, +3 for Dex)        1d6+3 (weapon damage then dex mod)

Just got Cruel Necessity. Paid about 80 dollars, so about twice the going rate, to get it shipped to Japan. It is literally like a parish newsletter. The rule book is a blurry photocopy, the whole thing literally arrives in a pizza box, and they even provide a napkin for dusting down the pieces after you punch them out because apparently (haven't punched them out yet) lasercut pieces get covered in dust. 

But I'm totally in love with it. The manual reads like something from the Chainmail era, and the rules are insanely convoluted. Can't wait to get stuck in. Has anyone played it?

Yeah, I've got it and really love it. The states of siege system is brutal though I don't think I've got past the second era. The history is interesting and I find I play it over a couple of nights. The way Cromwell changes combat is cool too. 

Obligatory recommendation is to watch the Ricky Royal series too. 

On 15/02/2018 at 15:54, StephenM said:

I think fate doesn't want me to play Pandemic Legacy.

Accidentally ordered a poorly signposted German version from Amazon.

Got a new version in a language I understand, only to find a handful of cards missing from the Legacy deck :(

Apparently there were (are?) a decent number of fake copies being sold as new via Amazon so perhaps you got unlucky with one of those?

I’d persevere though. I finished playing through Season 1 with my wife last night and thought it was excellent throughout.

2 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

Apparently there were (are?) a decent number of fake copies being sold as new via Amazon so perhaps you got unlucky with one of those?

I’d persevere though. I finished playing through Season 1 with my wife last night and thought it was excellent throughout.

Huh, could be! Everything other than that looks to be intact — although by definition I can’t very well start opening everything to make sure it’s all there. 

The manufacturer is sending me out some replacements, anyway, so hopefully it won’t be long before we can get into failing all of Asia, every single game, but now on an even more distressing level. 

4 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

That was an interesting read!

After some more investigation (I googled it), I’m pretty sure this is a fake. Clearly a very good one, probably a third shift in a legit factory, but still. 

Been onto the ebay seller so will hopefully get my money and buy a replacement somewhere. Third time lucky?

12 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

I'm quite surprised that Pandemic Legacy is being counterfeited. The sheer complexity of the production would have made it more trouble than it's worth, I'd have thought. 

8 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

I'm quite surprised that Pandemic Legacy is being counterfeited. The sheer complexity of the production would have made it more trouble than it's worth, I'd have thought. 

Yes, I had the same reaction. They seem to be relatively well done on the whole with a few telltale signs:

17 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

Yes, I had the same reaction. They seem to be relatively well done on the whole with a few telltale signs.

It's so well done it almost certainly has to be the actual factory off in China or wherever. But certain things just aren't quite right -- as per that Reddit thread, which was really useful in identifying my fake.

The eBay seller was very apologetic -- I'm sure I'm not the first person to have called it out, because he immediately accepted it and said it was a crap supplier, he's not using it anymore. Didn't even ask what made it seem counterfeit.

He's now suggested I send it back and he'll refund and cover the postage. Been ages since I used eBay, but I think I'm covered if he just doesn't give me a refund? He also suggested he might be able to get one at a higher price from his previous supplier, but I wouldn't have much confidence it's not just another dodgy copy...

Hmmm. I'm not sure, now. It's one of those things I remember reading, but I don't know whether the person saying it was talking out of their arse.

Edit: I remember where I read it, now. There was an article about PayPal ordering a buyer to destroy a rare violin rather than return it, simply because he [the buyer] claimed it was fake. Paypal said it was illegal to return it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/04/paypal-buyer-destroys-violin

A spokesperson for PayPal said: "While we cannot talk about this particular case due to PayPal's privacy policy, we carefully review each case, and in general we may ask a buyer to destroy counterfeit goods if they supply signed evidence from a knowledgeable third party that the goods are indeed counterfeit. The reason why we reserve the option to ask the buyer to destroy the goods is that in many countries, including the US, it is a criminal offence to mail counterfeit goods back to a seller."

There are a few people here interested in the heavier end of the gaming spectrum, so would anyone be up for learning to play an 18xx game via the forum, using the Rails-and-Dropbox combo? I was thinking of 18AL, as it's reckoned to be a gentle-ish intro the series, but would be willing to give any of the ones that Rails supports a try. I should say that I've never actually played 18xx, but I've been working through some of the  games played via BGG (e.g. herehere and here) and have a fairly good grasp of the rules (which are not as daunting as the rulebook makes them look). I'd envisage it as more of a shared learning experience than an actual game session.

You would need: 

Rails (Java app that handles game turns and enforces rules. Does the heavy lifting)

A free DropBox account (to access a shared folder where game progress is stored)

18AL_Rules_v17.pdf (or whichever one people might want to play).

A ruthless, Robber-Baron mentality, coupled with a willingness to stumble blindly along with no clear idea of what you're doing, or why.

I'm happy to act as moderator and set up a shared DropBox folder if there's any interest. Toot toot!