General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

So we have:

@MalevolentPanda

@LaParka

@SimonC

@Professor Rob

I'll create a separate topic for the actual game progress when the time comes. In the meantime, you will need to have a (free) DropBox account and have downloaded the latest Rails release candidate. PM me your DropBox username when you're ready, so I can give you access to the shared folder.

As none of us have actually played before, we'll take this nice and steady. People will need a bit of time to get some idea of the basic rules and flow of play, so just let me know when you're ready. No rush.

It's my current favourite game. Have played at all player counts and it's always a tight game. I've had a few folk grumble about certain clans being overpowered but then in the next game that clan has come last because it's so much down to playing to the strengths of your card and using the board wisely. 

52 minutes ago, Mortis said:

It's my current favourite game. Have played at all player counts and it's always a tight game. I've had a few folk grumble about certain clans being overpowered but then in the next game that clan has come last because it's so much down to playing to the strengths of your card and using the board wisely. 

It's *very* cleverly balanced with so many ways to win...I think some clans are *easier* to play than others - but they're all as equally powerful. I also like the fact it has a fixed number of rounds meaning it can't meander for hours and hours.  Do you play it down in Settlers?  I might see if I can get down.

Yeah I've had it in my bag the last few settlers evenings. As always with the bigger group  the main game of the night depends of how the majority feel but I'm always happy to arrange a game of it. 

I do love the setup/teardown speed of it (compared to a Uwe behemoth for example) and the fact a 4 player game is usually max of about 90 mins if everyone knows the rules at least. But it's a bugger to fit back in the box especially with my cloth bag for the contracts and the metal coins I added recently :)

32 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Yeah I've had it in my bag the last few settlers evenings. As always with the bigger group  the main game of the night depends of how the majority feel but I'm always happy to arrange a game of it. 

I do love the setup/teardown speed of it (compared to a Uwe behemoth for example) and the fact a 4 player game is usually max of about 90 mins if everyone knows the rules at least. But it's a bugger to fit back in the box especially with my cloth bag for the contracts and the metal coins I added recently :)

Must admit - I've never had a problem getting it in the box and I've got the metal coins from the KS as well as cardboard ones and the fancy map of Scotland sleeve.  Trick was to line up the export cards along one side of the box and then pack the rest around it in the ample supplied plastic baggies.

14 hours ago, therearerules said:

Didn’t realise you were there Scott! It’s a lot bigger this year, still haven’t done half the things I wanted to- just end up playing games or taking part in the events.

Yeah, was there Friday and Saturday till about 6:30. Spent most of it playing with mates. Particularly enjoyed the One Ring RPG taster session.

11 hours ago, therearerules said:

Did either of you do the escape tabletop challenge.

Nope... when was that again? We were planning originally but completely forgot. Most of the competitive stuff was happening from 6pm onwards on Saturday which was around the time we left to drive back to Glasgow.

I’d be playing solo so that doesn’t really factor for me. :(

For me the whole game looks like the Monster Hunter of board games. Given Monster Hunter is one of my all time favourite series it’s really hard to not buy into. 

I actually do like the idea that you can be killed straight from the off. But I understand that it would be really annoying for that player to get killed and sit with nothing to do for hours.  

I absolutely cannot be arsed gluing minis together - so that's KDM pretty much out for me without even looking at anything else.

SUSD's review of it is excellent - it's basically a crazy 70s prog album of a game.  You'll either love it, or absolutely despise it.

I love KDM to bits. It's absolutely not everyone's cup of tea and I think there are entirely valid criticisms, but it's just so unlike anything else I've played. I also very much enjoy the construction side of things, so that's a plus for me too.

The random roll-death thing is harsh, but it's very rare in my experience FWIW. I tend to play two characters each with one other person, so it's not a huge issue when I does happen. I can see it being very frustrating if you are setting up for a day-long four player game though.